It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Debit Cards for Survivors will no longer be Issued

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
It now appears that the new director of FEMA will not allow anymore $2000 debit cards to be issued to survivors of Katrina.

aolsvc.news.aol.com
FEMA Will Not Continue Debit Card Plan
Cards Distributed in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio
By HOPE YEN, AP

WASHINGTON (Sept. 9) - The federal government's relief agency said Friday it will discontinue its program to distribute $2,000 debit cards to hurricane victims and use bank deposits instead, two days after hastily announcing the novel plan to provide quick relief.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency said it will scrap the program once officials finish distributing cards this weekend at shelters in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, where many of the evacuees were moved. No cards will be issued to victims in other states.

Hurricane victims at other locations will have to apply for expedited aid through the agency's traditional route - filling out information on FEMA's Web site to receive direct bank deposits, FEMA spokeswoman Natalie Rule said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Guess they don't want to make it too easy for these folks to start getting back on their feet, they keep pulling the rug out from under them. Par for the course, I guess.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
How exactly is it being taken away??? They still are getting the aid just not in the form of a debit card. :shk: That tidbit is from the referenced article BTW

[edit on 9/10/05 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
And how're they going to fill out forms on FEMA's website if they're stuck in a freakin shelter?? The people who need it most are the ones who have lost everything, including their internet connections

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I didn't say they wouldn't get the aid, just that it would now be more difficult and time consuming, obviously.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
They aren't going to get the aid. Not now while they need it. If all these poor survivors/refugees are huddled in FEMA "relief" camps I doubt many of them have access to a computer, how on earth do they expect these people to fill out the needed forms?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
more infinite brain power from FEMA i suppose ....

just how are the people that had accounts at a small little local one branch bank that was completely destroyed in the hurricane going to be able to accept a direct deposit check like news reports are stating now ?

oh i know.... maybe they could find a bank in houston or wherever they are that will let them open an account with 1 or 2 cans of soup ?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
How are they going to fill out the forms in the as you put it "freaking" shelters? The FEMA people come to the shelters to and have been doing so. You don't think they just tossed out those debit cards from the back of a truck right :shk:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   

just how are the people that had accounts at a small little local one branch bank that was completely destroyed in the hurricane going to be able to accept a direct deposit check like news reports are stating now ?

Most bank have larger affiliations and the small one city only bank is a thing of the past. Even credit unions are required to have protected backups located away from thier branches.

If the person was on SSI/SSD direct deposite is required as is most government assistance. SO starting up an account should pose no problem.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The article states that those who did not recieve the debit cards must go to FEMA's website to fill out the forms. Even if someone in a camp had the ability to go to the website how would they get their banking information? I know I don't have it memorized. However, I suppose they could recieve the check by mail, it will be adressed:
Bill Drake
Top Bunk, row 32, section A
Houston Astrodome, Texas

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Hmmmmm not just a website as many Americans do not have a computer. However a terminal/terminals are easily brought in and access set up. Cant do that then call the 1-800 number

Evacuees who were staying outside the main shelter and expected to get cards on Saturday or Sunday must now apply for assistance online at www.fema.gov... or by calling 1-800-621-3362.
Its as simple as dialing 1-800-621-3362

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I think neither you nor they are considering this with the point of view of having seen your enitre town destroyed, being destitute, trapped in a relief camp and having no home or job to return to. It's a moot point, 2,000 dollars hardly lasts long anyways.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
You guys act as if the all they were going to get was the 2K here ya go, out of the shelter with you. FEMA tried a new way to get aid to people that may have expidited thinks. For whatever reason it did not work so back to the old way that is a bit slower but works. The aid they will recieve is ongoing and FEMA will also help them process SSI/SSD and wlefare etc.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   
This is just plain hillarious! What did the government expect? Offer free money to poor people and they have a riot on thier hands.

points of humor:

1. Government tries to "deposit" money into peoples bank account. *pfffttt* yea right like they have bank accounts...

2. Red Cross gives ATM cards... Hmmmmm.... can you say PARTY??? booze,drugs Ohhh heck what's left sex and rock & roll??!!

Where's John Stewart's Daily News from the comedy channel??

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 05:00 AM
link   
My initial reaction to this is first and foremost, how many of the people requiring this assistance have any checking account at all? If they don't how many have access/transportation to one to set up an account prior to the paperwork involved to then request the aid? How many banks are jumping on the right bandwagon in areas where these people are for all intents and purposes still "trapped", to bring to them the resources to open an account. Finally, are they offerring fee free accounts to these people?

This opens a whole new set of problems in the relief effort if you ask me. Shame they just couldn't get their act together and make the debit card work.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I just have one question I'm not supposed to ask here.

How is this story 'not right' for ATSNN? That is all the 'official' feedback I've received on it so far.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Icarus, perhaps people don't see the larger ramifications of the story. I see a lot of "it's no big deal" type of response here, but in all honesty, I cannot see anything more pathetic then admitting FEMA can't administrate a debit card program (and that's the way I see it).

For heavens sake, the majority of people in shelters have been screened and documented. Anyone already through this process should be able to be issued a debit card with no further coordination. This does nothing but further complicate and postpone aid. It's another disgrace in my book.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The here you go, excuse me, oh, no you don't rollercoaster ride of relief continues. That must play havoc with what must be the thinly stretched nerves of the survivors. Did anybody at FEMA consider what additional stress this would cause these already devastated, emotionally drained, confused, frightened people? They are at the mercy of a relief effort that still clearly does not have its act together.

Or maybe it does, and this is part of the plan. It fits in nicely with the job that's been done so far.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by rancid1
2. Red Cross gives ATM cards... Hmmmmm.... can you say PARTY??? booze,drugs Ohhh heck what's left sex and rock & roll??!!

From what I hear, there were abuses like this reported, and this is a major reason the program was canceled, but the press is being pretty quiet about.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I don't see how switching from Debit Cards to deposits into bank accounts will change any abuses that may have occurred as diescribed above. This doesn't solve that problem, not by a long shot. It does however create new ones for people who are in dire straights and in need of cash and won't abuse it.

Just a shame.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
What if they don't have bank accounts, or can't get bank accounts.

*sigh*

I'm so worried about these people
They need to be placed in homes and apartments as quickly as possible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join