It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: To The World: The Thanks Of A Grateful Nation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
As the world stood horrified in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the unthinkable happened. Long looked too when disasters struck abroad, American needed help and the nations of the world big and small, poor and rich, came to her aid. Much can be said of this aid and the sincere offers of help that have been pledged to our country. Others have set aside politics and years of open hostility to come to the aid of fellow humans in thier time of need.

For the first time since 1846 units of the Mexican Army are inside U.S territory bringing with them an invasion of water treatments plants and mobile kitchens that can provide meals for up to 7000 people a day. More importantly they bring with them Doctors, nurses, and engineers that will be able to make an immediate impact in the disaster zone. While help has come from our neighbor to the south, Canada our northernmost neighbor has also gone out of its way to provide aid. From a search and rescue team that saved 199 people to planes from Air Canada, to Canadian warships off the coast packed with supplies and more importantly helicopters. The aid from both countries has come on a myriad of levels.

NATO is sending ships and planes to help move in aid and shuttle victims out. This is above and beyond the oil, food, medicine, bedding, high speed pumps that are already on its way here. The country that perhaps knows more about levee's and dikes, The Netherlands, is sending a team of engineers to help in that critical area. The United Nations is also ramping ups its efforts to supply aid to the victims as well.

In the middle east Kuwait has pledged more than 500 million in assistance, Qatar and The UAE 100 million. The government of Iraq has pledged 1 million dollars to do what it can as well. India and Bangladesh have also made cash pledges.

This list is by no means complete and represent just a token of the offers from the 96 countries making such gestures according to the state department.

In the sea of all this outpouring I do regret two things. The offers of aid from Cuba and Iran should have been taken up from. Just like the U.S. mission to assist Iran during the devastation cause by the Bam quakes, accepting these offers from such long time foes, would not be a sign of weakness, but perhaps they could open a door to foster better relations between our countries. In this aspect, I think the ball has been dropped rather badly.

My family and I would like to take this opportunity to thank the offers of support that our country has received during this time of need. While I can only speak for my family in this matter, I have no doubt that America as a whole share these sentiments.

Thank You

Related News Links:
www.usatoday.com
www.state.gov

[edit on 9/9/05 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Good OP/ED

Just one disagreement...the offer from Iran came with strings attached that the U.S. drop all sanctions against them, something obviously not acceptable so I agree with the decision to refuse it.

But a sincere thanks to all countries that were able to send help!

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
As a Canadian, I thank you for the recognition of innumerable nations of the globe which have risen to the occassion. There is much aid coming or offered from around the globe which seems to be largely unnoticed by US news.

Two days ago I e-mailed one of the popular US television news networks and spoke of the absence on the broadcast of the extent of international co-operation, and while I only managed to catch its broadcast only once, 16 hours later, it was pleasing to see a short exposé acknowledging international aid.

[edit on 9/9/05 by SomewhereinBetween]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Well stated FredT! Wish I'd have thought of it. But the sentiment is there, no matter.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
As i`ve not seen an Aussie respond yet thanx FredT for your appreciative words and if i get my word right i hope i`ll echo the majority of Aussie`s opinion`s.

There would be an outcry if our Gov did`nt lend assistance,in the little that was sent to such a huge disaster as Katrina caused we only hope that it is spent to its maximum for relief of those effected.

From Aussies

la2

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
i agree well said, The UK is more than happy to give the US all the support it needs, we are lucky enough not to suffer natural disasters, its only right we support those who do.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I think deep down most of the World still loves Americans despite the hopefully "temporary disruption" to how its government generally operates.

I donated to the American Red Cross without hesitation and would do it again if the American government asked.

FredT, rest assured that the world knows America is thankful. Its a cliche but we dont do it for thanks, we do it because it needs to be done.

top topics

join