It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some words from the Front Lines (DC Armory, where refugees are staying)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I am posting an email I recieved today from a local mailing list. The person's account comes firsthand from someone who is truly trying to help those refugees that have ended up in the DC Armory building in North East DC.

Greetings all,
I've been down at the DC Armory this afternoon (baby in tote). IT'S
BAD!!! REAL BAD!!! I'm gonna be as brief as possible, because I'm
overwhelmed, but I'm telling you know matter what you've heard....the Red Cross's efforts are substandard, and I'm pissed about it. I was only there about 2 hours immediately following the arrival of the Evacuees, but another sister I met had been there for two days helping out and she was so overwhelmed today that she said that she mentally could not handle it and was not coming back!

Brothers and Sisters, while it's true our people have shelter in a building, THIS IS NO PLACE FOR CHILDREN!!! The military is walking around there like they are guarding Beirut (very intimidating to me, so can you imagine what the children are thinking). Outside of that, it's disorderly....babies need milk, food, and diapers. WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING???? The volunteer sister told me that nursing mothers should show up in droves with prepared milk for nursing infants, she spoke to the media about this issue (look for coverage on the local news broadcasts).

The Evacuee's are in dire need of so much and Red Cross just keeps turning people away. Mental Health professionals...I URGE YOU TO SHOW UP AND DEMAND TO BE PLACED ON THE SPECIALIZED LIST. YOUR SERVICES ARE CRITICAL NOW!!!!

Call (202) 727-1000. [Note from Obsidian - this is the DC Armory donation/volunteer line]

Also family, there are babies up in there without mothers, fathers, or any family whatsoever. This is an issue that has been under-reported. Upon inquiry I've been told that they are expecting 300 children without parents. What is to happen with these children, somebody please tell me??? Anyway, trust that my words haven't even begun to paint the grim picture of what I saw in terms of systematic organization. All I know is that amid our own personal grieving, we have got to continue to MOBILIZE, ORGANIZE, PRAY, AND put PRESSURE on local officials to get this thing RIGHT! I'm going back this evening, I'll be there tomorrow, and the next day, and next....until I'm "OFFICIALLY" on the inside. TO HELL WITH RED CROSS they may do some good, but what I see now is unacceptable!!! Sorry if I've offended, just need to let you know the real deal from the frontlines.

Call me on the cell if you wish to join me (301) XXX-XXXX.

Ayanna

Reposted with permission, and her personal cell phone number has been edited out at her request.

The DC Armory is being used as a Red Cross shelter in the Washington DC area. The facility is quite large, and can house quite a few people. However, it appears that FEMA got involved in this one as well. I've never known the Red Cross to be this thoughtless. The conditions here appear to be appauling, and I'm sure this isn't the only shelter in this condition.

Please, anyone that can help, just do it, regardless of being told "No."

They need help.

[edit on 9-9-2005 by obsidian468]

join