It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Director of FEMA Michael Brown being relieved but not fired.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
link

WASHINGTON - Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown, the principal target of harsh criticism of the Bush administration's response to Hurricane Katrina, was relieved of his onsite command Friday.

He will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad W. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief, recovery and rescue efforts, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff announced.

Earlier, Brown confirmed the switch. Asked if he was being made a scapegoat for a federal relief effort that has drawn widespread and sharp criticism, Brown told The Associated Press after a long pause: "By the press, yes. By the president, no."

"Michael Brown has done everything he possibly could to coordinate the federal response to this unprecedented challenge," Chertoff told reporters in Baton Rouge, La. Chertoff sidestepped a question on whether the move was the first step toward Brown's leaving FEMA.

But a source close to Brown, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the FEMA director had been considering leaving after the hurricane season ended in November and that Friday's action virtually assures his departure.

Brown has been under fire and facing calls for his resignation because of the administration's slow response to the magnitude of the hurricane. On Thursday, questions were raised about whether he padded his resume to exaggerate his previous emergency management background.

even if he is not fire at least he is being replaced by sombody who can do a good job. i would say that its better than nothing.

Mod Edit: Fixed Spelling In Title

[edit on 9/9/05 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
He needs to be fired, if he can't do his job properly why wait for him to mess up some other disaster relief effort. Is it just me or does this guy look and sound like he is 10 seconds slower than the rest of us? Does he have a mental dissability or something, seriously?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Delta,
I have a bit more inof on all this on my thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Here's a man who is earning a $100,000+ paycheck of TAXPAYER money for doing absolutely nothing, but sitting in his "time-out" corner in D.C. after being revealed as an incompent, unqualified idiot who is indrectly (actually, in my opinion, directly) responsible for the deaths of thousands.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
You can blame him for the deaths during the hurricane, but frankly I'd put
just as much blame upon the Governor of the Louisiana. She is ultimately
the one to blame for not having an adequate evac plan. There is no
excuse for that. Of course, some of those who are dead have no one
to blame but themselves. Many refused to leave. Many still refuse to
leave. Those that have been sticking around will be sick soon ... and
they'll sue ... and our taxes will be supporting them forever.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
They had a plan, they just chose not to implement it. However, that aside, no one can understand why it took FEMA and/or the Bush Admin 4-5 days to rescue people or get them food/water.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I hate to say it, but it might have been a psy-op.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Mayhap's I was wrong about the man -- dunno? Suppose I have always worked with a warning and let the person really show his/her potential. But in a position so desparate to help the needy learning from one's mistakes is or might be too little too late.

Dallas

top topics

join