It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 9 - New Orleans officials said today that the search and rescue phase of the Hurricane Katrina response had ended, and that police officers would now go to every home in the city to search for dead bodies.
As officials continued to try to convince holdouts to leave the flooded city, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said that the director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Michael Brown, would return to Washington from the Gulf Coast, where he had been overseeing the federal government's response to the hurricane. Mr. Brown has been criticized for his agency's response to relief efforts, and for lacking substantial experience in responding to disasters.