It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi soldiers collected 1,000,000 Iraqi dinars for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The ISF helps its “brothers” in the aftermath of the Katrina tragedy. 1 Million dinars is roughly just $680 US, but it hardly matters, it’s an enormous sum for the people who contributed the money.

TAJI, Iraq, Sept. 9, 2005 — Iraqi soldiers serving at Taji military base collected 1,000,000 Iraqi dinars for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Iraqi Col. Abbas Fadhil, Iraqi base commander, presented the money to U.S. Col. Paul D. Linkenhoker, Taji Coalition base commander, at a Sept. 5 staff meeting.

Iraqi Col. Abbas Fadhil:

“We are all brothers,” said Abbas. “When one suffers tragedy, we all suffer their pain.”

The amount of money is small in American dollars - roughly $680 - but it represents a huge act of compassion from Iraqi soldiers to their American counterparts, said U.S. Army Maj. Michael Goyne.

Major Michael Goyne goes on to state:

“I was overwhelmed by the amount of their generosity,” Goyne said. “I was proud and happy to know Col. Abbas, his officers, NCOs and fellow soldiers. That amount represents a month’s salary for most of those soldiers.”

Even in place like Iraq today, compassion and fellowship between the coalition and the ISF is extraordinary.

VIVA IRAQ!

[edit on 9-9-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Its the thought that counts
That is indeed amazing that they would do that.

They should really keep that money though they likely need it more then anyone in the US.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Let them keep their money, they dont have anything. Take charity from other nations- This is merely put out there to make people beleive that they love us for invading them.
What will they think of next. Its a noble act on their part but WE shouldnt take from them.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Let them keep their money, they dont have anything. Take charity from other nations- This is merely put out there to make people beleive that they love us for invading them.
What will they think of next. Its a noble act on their part but WE shouldnt take from them.

Dg, I dont know what you understand about Arabic cultures, but it would be a MASSIVE insult not to take it. In some Arab cultures if you show interest or you are impressed with an object an Arab host owns, they will give it to you, no matter how poor or rich they may be. And you insult them by not taking it.

I understand what you say, but this is simply a story about the generousity of the Iraqi people, nothing political or conspiritous here.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I also come from a culture that gives and its an insult not to take it. Perhaps i was a little hot headed given all the stuff i've been reading. Sorry. As long as they are offering it, it should be ok.
I just wouldnt want us "collecting"

top topics

join