It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murphy's laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 06:30 AM
link   
What a genious, almost everyday i have to remember one of his laws, because basicly he is right, say that he was an optimistic person is say enough

MURPHY'S LAWS

1-Nothing is as easy as it looks.

2-Everything takes longer than you think.

3-Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

4-If there is a possibility of several things going wrong,
the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong. Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.

5-If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

6-If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.

7-Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

8-If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

9-Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

10-Mother nature is a bitch.

11-It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

12-Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.

13-Every solution breeds new problems.

dmawww.epfl.ch...

If you like his style don�t even wait a second and read his work, he is very interesting and funny

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Law of Alienation:
Nothing can so alienate a voter from the political system as backing a winning candidate.

Law of Ambition:
At any one time, thousands of borough councilmen, school board members, attorneys, and businessmen -- as well as congressmen, senators, and governors -- are dreaming of the White House, but few, if any of them, will make it.

Law of Attraction:
Power attracts people but it cannot hold them.
Law of Competition:
The more qualified candidates who are available, the more likely the compromise will be on the candidate whose main qualification is a nonthreatening incompetence.

Law of Inside Dope:
There are many inside dopes in politics and government.

Law of Lawmaking:
Those who express random thoughts to legislative committees are often surprised and appalled to find themselves the instigators of law.

Law of Permanence:
Political power is as permanent as today's newspaper. Ten years from now, few will know or care who the most powerful man in any state was today.

Law of Secrecy:
The best way to publicize a governmental or political action is to attempt to hide it.

Law of Wealth:
Victory goes to the candidate with the most accumulated or contributed wealth who has the financial resources to convince the middle class and poor that he will be on their side.

Law of Wisdom:
Wisdom is considered a sign of weakness by the powerful because a wise man can lead without power but only a powerful man can lead without wisdom.

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Yeah, I like the guy, he's a genious, and can be totally hilarious.

Example of his laws can be seen in almost everyday of real life.

[Edited on 5-9-2003 by m0rbid]

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I always liked his laws of Combat:

Tracers work BOTH ways!

Radar tends to fail at night, in the rain, or in fog, when you need it the most.

Friendly fire....ISN'T!

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than you!

etc.

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Tracers work BOTH ways!

Radar tends to fail at night, in the rain, or in fog, when you need it the most.

Friendly fire....ISN'T!

etc.

From those i love those 2:

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

If your sergeant can see you, so can the enemy.

And that one as well,

There must be one day above all others in each life that is the happiest.
Corollary: What if you've already had it?

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Actually, some say that Murphy was *not* the one to originate those "laws"...But it was an unrelated man who just happened to share the same last name...

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I see at least one of those laws every day. He's so funny

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I think Murphy is just a stereotypical Irish name that is used to cover things gone wrong, chosen because it is so ironically opposite to the "luck of the Irish'. All the corollaries are humorous inventions.

There is this tale supposedly backing up where the term Murphy's Law originated - urban myth, or real?

Murphy's Law ("If anything can go wrong, it will") was born at Edwards Air Force Base in 1949.

It was named after Capt. Edward A. Murphy, an engineer working on Air Force Project MX981, (a project) designed to see how much sudden deceleration a person can stand in a crash.

One day, after finding that a transducer was wired wrong, he cursed the technician responsible and said, "If there is any way to do it wrong, he'll find it."

The contractor's project manager kept a list of "laws" and added this one, which he called Murphy's Law.

Actually, what he did was take an old law that had been around for years in a more basic form (see first paragraph above) and give it a name.

Shortly afterwards, the Air Force doctor (Dr. John Paul Stapp) who rode a sled on the deceleration track to a stop, pulling 40 Gs, gave a press conference. He said that their good safety record on the project was due to a firm belief in Murphy's Law and in the necessity to try and circumvent it.

Aerospace manufacturers picked it up and used it widely in their ads during the next few months, and soon it was being quoted in many news and magazine articles. Murphy's Law was born.

The Northrop project manager, George E. Nichols, had a few laws of his own. Nichols' Fourth Law says, "Avoid any action with an unacceptable outcome."

The doctor, well-known Col. John P. Stapp, had a paradox: Stapp's Ironical Paradox, which says, "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Nichols is still around. At NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, he's the quality control manager for the Viking project to send an unmanned spacecraft to Mars.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Classic stuff. Reminds me of a conversation I had with a member of a local Gun Club...the old guy was in Viet Nam...was telling me he was hunkered down in a dug-out with one bloke, a set ambush and expecting 'Charlie' to any time be walking along the trail they were observing, when this guy turns to him and says "So wheres the safety on these bloody things again?" and holds up the Claymore Triggers...the guy then says "Ahh, forget it...I'll just pop up and rip into 'em with the 12 gauge instead."

Not surprisingly he took the Claymores AND the 12-gauge off this other guy and told him to go find another hole.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Then there is the consultants creed:
"If you can't dazzle them with brillance, baffle them with bulls**t."

top topics

join