It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brit refusing to leave.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I thought this was kind of sad...

news.bbc.co.uk...

the guy wants to stay and feels hes got the provisions to do so, how hard must it be to leave somewhere you love?

my GF has been to new orleans twice (from UK), before Katrina she was always going on about how beautifull it was and how she couldnt wait for us to go there....im gutted that i'll never get to see it in its original state.

Although i dont mean for that to sound petty compared to what the poor people down there are going through.

What do you guys think about the folks that want to stay and feel they can support themselves?

Regards.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Optimus

I too read about this guy and you are right - it is very sad. I think it is hard for most of us to understand how devastating it is to lose not only a house and possessions, but the feeling of losing your entire life. Your home (not the same as house) is the place where you are safe and loved - Like him, some have lived in their houses forever and have memories as deeply rooted as the concrete and the trees.

It has no price tag - no debit card can buy it anew, no amount of shelters nor camps can fix the feeling of isolation, despair and loss. We are so quick to tell people to get out and leave everything because we are not in their shoes. For some it was necessary to get out, for others like him, it almost seems cruel.

He feels he doesn't have to go - his area seems fine to him and the humiliation and disorientation for him and all those other people remaining must be incredible. They survived everything and rather than leave now they only want to cling.

I should also add that in some situations it will have to happen in order for everything to be cleaned and sanitary again. No doubt about it, but it is still very sad.

[edit on 9-9-2005 by nikelbee]

new topics

join