It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What The Worlds Superpower Could Learn From The First

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I came across this Guardian article regarding the historical similarity between the present day U.S. led invasion of Iraq with the ancient Persian empires of Xerxes and Darius or about 550 BC and considered the worlds first superpower. They also invaded the region that would become Iraq, but with far different results. I found the similarities and the differences to be striking

Present-day US fears about an Iranian-dominated super-state embracing southern Iraq and the Gulf have a basis in historical fact, according to an exhibition charting the exploits of Cyrus the Great, founder of the Persian empire, which opens at the British Museum on Friday.

Cyrus and his successors, Xerxes and Darius, created the world's first superpower in 550BC, ruling territories from central Asia and the Indus valley to Arabia and north Africa. But the Persian kings appear to have had better luck in Iraq than President George Bush has had.

When Persian forces overran Babylonia in 539BC, the inhabitants surrendered peacefully. According to contemporary accounts, Cyrus was greeted as a liberator because of his just policies - and tough attitude to terrorists.

"When I entered Babylon I did not allow anyone to terrorise the land," a text known as the Cyrus Cylinder quotes him as saying. "I strove for peace in Babylon and all other sacred cities. I put an end to the inhabitants' misfortune."
www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 9/9/05 by FredT]

[edit on 9/9/05 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Wasnt the lesson o the Persian Empire 'beware of greeks'

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
yeah but its not really appilicable today
islam and christianity wernt even around then

new topics

join