It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Co-Masonry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I've always been fascinated by the various esoteric fraternal organizations, and have studied a bit about AMORC, CR+C, Freemasonry, and Co-Masonry.
I know that at some point in the future I might want to join an organization, although being a woman I can't join a regular Masonic organization.

I was wondering if any of the actual Masons on the board have any information or opinions about Co-Masonry and Co-Masonic organizations?

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by isisraven

I know that at some point in the future I might want to join an organization, although being a woman I can't join a regular Masonic organization.

I was wondering if any of the actual Masons on the board have any information or opinions about Co-Masonry and Co-Masonic organizations?

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Co-Masonry, simply for the reason that it isn't authentic Freemasonry. On the other hand, I am a strong supporter of esoteric organizations that admit both genders, as long as the organization does not claim to be Masonic.

I am a member of one of these orders, called Builders of the Adytum (BOTA). BOTA was founded by Dr. Paul Foster Case (also a Mason) in the 1920's. Case had been Chief Adept for the Alpha et Omega Temple of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn in Chicago, but resigned due to a schism. The majority of the Temple resigned along with him, forming a new organization called the School of Ageless Wisdom. This organization would eventually become BOTA. You can visit our website here:

www.bota.org...

All men and women of good character and noble intent are invited to join with us in this, the Great Work.

[edit on 9-9-2005 by Masonic Light]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
Personally, I'm not a big fan of Co-Masonry, simply for the reason that it isn't authentic Freemasonry. On the other hand, I am a strong supporter of esoteric organizations that admit both genders, as long as the organization does not claim to be Masonic.

It's only not 'authentic' because the 'regular' lodges claim it isn't. Same thing can be said about two of the three major grand lodges of France, or Prince Hall Masonry, or Women's Masonry. It might be that a Co-Masonic body is every much as Masonic as, I dunno, the United Grand Lodge of England, aside from admitting women. Does your Grand Lodge recognize Prince Hall Masonry? Many do, but many also don't. Would your opinion change on Prince Hall Masonry simply because your Grand Lodge's opinion changed?

If and when I become a Mason, I will certainly respect the views of my Grand Lodge on the regularity of other lodges, but that won't prevent me from having personal views that may very well conflict.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   

If and when I become a Mason, I will certainly respect the views of my Grand Lodge on the regularity of other lodges, but that won't prevent me from having personal views that may very well conflict.

There is nothing that says you can't talk to these folks!!! You just can't recognize them masonically. So, therefore you may not sit in lodge with them nor speak anything your jurisdiction holds secret.

Just as with my wife; she knows EVERYTHING that happens in lodge EXCEPT ritual. If she took an interest in more, I am ready to talk about whatever she would like EXCEPT the parts of the ritual my jurisdiction deems secret(though she could easily find those parts in the books I keep).

What I'm saying is that, just because a lodge is unrecognized does not mean it is bad or the people are immorral; simply that the lodge does not conform to certain criteria which are required.

I've found that personal opinions are valued highly; policy or not.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I once attended a co-masonic meeting by invitation - and quite enjoyed the ceremony. I thought it was a very nice gesture to "hold out the olive branch" but have to admit that my attendance wasn't something I was keen to publicise at the time.
The company was very congenial and sincere and the buffet in the South was splendid by comparison to many lodges I have visited. If all co-masonic lodges are conducted with the same sincerity I'm sure you would find it interesting and enjoyable.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lexicon

It's only not 'authentic' because the 'regular' lodges claim it isn't. Same thing can be said about two of the three major grand lodges of France, or Prince Hall Masonry, or Women's Masonry. It might be that a Co-Masonic body is every much as Masonic as, I dunno, the United Grand Lodge of England, aside from admitting women. Does your Grand Lodge recognize Prince Hall Masonry? Many do, but many also don't. Would your opinion change on Prince Hall Masonry simply because your Grand Lodge's opinion changed?

There is a huge difference between Prince Hall Affiliation Masonry and Co-Masonry. Prince Hall Masonry is authentic inasmuch as it (one) is a descendent from, and can trace it's lineage to, the Premiere Grand Lodge of England, and (two) the organization adheres to the Ancient Landmarks of the Fraternity. Most Co-Masonic bodies cannot claim number one, and none can claim number two, which are the first tests of regularity.

Simply put, just because an organization calls itself "Masonic" does not mean that it is so. Most of the co-Masonic groups were founded by non-Masons, using various published Masonic exposures as their starting point.

I have nothing against organizations that admit both men and women, as stated above. However, Freemasonry is a fraternity, a men's organization, just as sororities are women's organizations.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
There is a huge difference between Prince Hall Affiliation Masonry and Co-Masonry. Prince Hall Masonry is authentic inasmuch as it (one) is a descendent from, and can trace it's lineage to, the Premiere Grand Lodge of England, and (two) the organization adheres to the Ancient Landmarks of the Fraternity. Most Co-Masonic bodies cannot claim number one, and none can claim number two, which are the first tests of regularity.

I assumed that the Co-Masonic bodies were started by former Freemasons who left because they felt that women should also be admitted, and who simply ported the symbolism and ritual of Freemasonry to their new organizations.

If what you say is true (that they do not adhere to the Ancient Landmarks [or the majority thereof] of the fraternity) then forgive me for my ignorance.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I've been recently looking into Co-Freemasonry myself. The foundational lack of exclusion of women and Africans from these orders piqued my interests in these groups

It appears that The International Order of Freemasonry for Men & Women, Le Droit Humain was the original founding order of Co-Freemasonry.

Some schisms and splinterings resulted in the formation of:

Co-Freemasonic Order of the Blazing Star

Eastern Order of International Co-Freemasonry

The Honorable Order of American Co-Masonry

I am still in my initial exploratory research into these orders. I would love to hear additional input if anyone has anything to share.

new topics

top topics

join