It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese President Hu Jintao in Ottawa for First State Visit to Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The Chinese President is on a State Visit to Canada. On the table are trade and human rights issues. Arriving in Ottawa today, he will spend Friday in meetings and visit Toronto and Niagra Falls on Saturday.

www.cbc.ca
Last Updated Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:14:33 EDT
CBC News

Hu's visit was aimed at celebrating 35 years of diplomatic links and rapidly expanding trade between China and Canada.

Hu spoke of the shared responsibility of Canada and China to protect the Pacific Rim.

After the United States, China is Canada's second-largest trading partner -- Ottawa and Beijing conducted $30 billion worth of trade last year.

With the world's fastest growing economy and rapid urbanization, the Chinese want more oil and natural resources -- and Canada has a lot to offer.

The United States relies on Canada for 17 percent of its oil and energy and is well aware that China is boosting investments in Canadian oil and natural resources. At the same time, Washington and Ottawa, the world's largest trading partners, continue to argue over lumber tariffs and question each other's long-term defense policies.

"What I worry about is that the United States is making it easy for China; that in one way or another the United States is screwing up in its relationship with Canada," said Richard C. Bush, a senior fellow at Brookings Institute in Washington.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

He goes to Mexico on Sunday and then on to the UN Summit next week.

China has recently purchased a Canadian based oil company operating near it's border with one of the " 'stans" (Tajikitstan I think), has obtained oil contracts as well as Uranium contracts.

I do believe that Canada should be diversifying it's trade relationships but I wonder if a trade war looms with the US.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

new topics

join