It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Judge Gives Sandy Berger Much Stiffer Fine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Sandy Berger, a member of the former Clinton administration, was given a $50,000 fine and prohibited from having a security clearance for 3 years by a Federal judge for mishandling classified documents. The fine was five times higher than what the government prosecuters had sought. The sentence also includes probation and community service.

www.washingtonpost.com
A federal judge yesterday ordered former national security adviser Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger to pay a $50,000 fine and give up his security clearance for three years as the penalty for smuggling classified terrorism documents out of the National Archives in 2003.

The sentence was much more severe than the $10,000 fine that Justice Department prosecutors and Berger's attorneys had jointly proposed after Berger pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge. But Magistrate Judge Deborah A. Robinson said the punishment, which also included two years of probation and 100 hours of community service, would more "sufficiently reflect the seriousness of the offense."

She said she took into account Berger's "otherwise exemplary record" and "sincere expression of remorse" in her sentence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have no idea why this guy didn't go to jail for stuffing classified documents into his socks and underwear etc. and stealing them from the National Archives. I think this was a clear coverup -- at least the judge increased the sentence probably as much as she could.

[edit on 9/8/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I have no idea why this guy didn't go to jail for stuffing classified documents into his socks and underwear etc. and stealing them from the National Archives. I think this was a clear coverup -- at least the judge increased the sentence probably as much as she could.

[edit on 9/8/2005 by djohnsto77]

I'm not defending Beger, but urban legends really bug me. Anyway, from the article:

He admitted to stuffing copies of documents in his coat jacket as he left the National Archives and then destroying some at his office and pretending he had never possessed them.

There was no etc. stuffing, no sock stuffing, no underwear stuffing (at least this time *wink,wink*). The only pant stuffing, was into his pants pockets, but somehow the media and blogs created some kind of erroneous mythos.

This much is known: Berger and his lawyer, Lanny Breuer, have said for the record that: 1) Berger inadvertently put several copies of classified documents into a leather portfolio he was carrying; and 2) that Berger put handwritten notes, which he had made while reviewing the documents, in his jacket and in his pants pockets.

Media propounds rumor that Berger placed documents in his socks and pants. It was reported -- notably by CNN -- that Berger put the classified documents into his pants and/or his socks -- allegations that Breuer has said are "false" and "ridiculous" and for which there is no on-the-record substantiation. This reportage was then amplified by MSNBC hosts Chris Matthews, Joe Scarborough, and Pat Buchanan; by the New York Daily News and the New York Post; by Ann Coulter and Kellyanne Conway; by a slew of right-wing columnists like Linda Chavez and Cal Thomas; and by right-wing radio show hosts such as Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Michael Savage. Worse still, some of these same media outlets and media personalities falsely attributed to Berger and his lawyer the claim that Berger had put the classified documents into his pants and/or socks -- even after Berger and his lawyer said Berger had not done so.

Media Matters

But don't get me wrong, I think what Berger did was wrong.

new topics

join