It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare White Giraffe Photographed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

A researcher in Africa has finally spotted the rare white giraffe that he's been seeking for twelve years, and he's got a photograph to prove it.

Charles Foley, a Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) researcher, first heard rumors of the white giraffe in 1993 when he was working in Tanzania's Tarangire National Park doing research on savanna elephants.

Intrigued, Foley set out to find the animal, but by the next year, the sightings had stopped coming in.

"I assumed it had died, either at the hand of man or best," he said. "I never stopped looking though."

Foley's persistence paid off this summer. While conducting a routine aerial survey of a group of the park's elephants, he spotted a white speck in the distance.

a white giraffe exists!?!?!?

i guess so

this is wierd and new news to me...

PIC: Image of rare white giraffe photographed in Africa. Credit: Charles Foley/Wildlife Conservation Society

also look at:

Amazing Images: More Animals and Other Cool Photos

Rare White Alligator Sequestered in Legal Battle

ENJOY!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
For some reason, the image isn't showing up for me. All I can see is the thumbnail on the article.

I've heard reports of other white giraffes, and Google brings up two images of white giraffes. Very beautiful animals.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Interesting post and cool find!!!
Point is that there's still animals out there waiting to be found! I'm sure this means a lot to the cryptozoology community.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
It could be fake, look at its legs, they aren't white. Most probably a poor photoshop job, if it was an albino its legs would be white as well.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaCodeMonkey
It could be fake, look at its legs, they aren't white. Most probably a poor photoshop job, if it was an albino its legs would be white as well.

You've got to be kidding me!? There's a 1001 reasons why this picture is not fake. OK, maybe not that many, but enough...
1. Why? Why on earth would anyone want to fake a white giraffe. And a known member of the zoology community?
2. Albino's in the animal kingdom are not a strange event - even thought it usually cause a stir when it happens with certain animals! When I first read the article I wanted to reply that there's really nothing amazing about it, but I did a quick search and saw that it was as a matter of fact not as common with giraffes BUT NOT UNKNOWN.
3. Google "white giraffe" under images.
4. Why would MSNBC create a "fake article"...?

"The proof is there to see — a mostly white giraffe with small dark blotches on its body," Foley said. "Only the bottom half of its legs were the more traditional brown color."

5. Is it really necessary to call everything a fake... Especially before actually looking into it?

[edit on 9-9-2005 by Gemwolf]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
the girraff is NOT a albino . If you look close at the photo you can see the BLACK spots all girraffs have and this white girraff has them as well.
Making it truly white and NOT albino .

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simcity4Rushour
the girraff is NOT a albino . If you look close at the photo you can see the BLACK spots all girraffs have and this white girraff has them as well.
Making it truly white and NOT albino .

Sorry. You are quite right. I'm aware that the giraffe is not an albino (albino - lack of colour pigment by definition), and it was wrong from my part to refer to albino animals - when it's not the same thing. Thanks for the correction.

new topics

top topics

join