It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you remember the people of N.O. being called insurgents?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This died preety quickly but has everyone forgot that
in an Army times article the brave people of New Orleans
were refered to as insurgents?

While some fight the insurgency in the city, other carry
on with rescue and evacuation operations. Helicopters
are still pulling hundreds of stranded people from rooftops
of flooded homes.

Army times article
The actual quote is about halfway down the Army times article.

Boing Boing article about "the insurgency"

By now most if not all of us know that they are/were not
insurgents but to me this is alarming. This shows what
some generals(I am not saying all) think about the citizens
of this country. Most of whom were protecting either
themselves or thier property. Now I am not saying that
there were no criminals carrying weapons using this situation
as a time to show off but most were not.

I am bringing this up becouse I do not want this to
be forgotten. I do not think this should be forgotten. This
is what the Government thinks of people who are trying to
survive during a time of great depression. During a time
when nobody was there to help them.

Please people, we must not forget about this.

Edit: Remember, we call the Iraqui resistance, insurgents.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by jmilici]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Just want to make sure this gets more looks.
Do not care if anybody responds as I am not
looking to discuss this. I just want people to
know that being an american citizen now
means you are an insurgent.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I think the word "insurgent" was used out of context.

While some fight the insurgency in the city, other carry on with rescue and evacuation operations. Helicopters are still pulling hundreds of stranded people from rooftops of flooded homes.

I have heard of some shooting at the Military and Police. Are these the insurgents the Army spokesman is talking about?

I don't think that just because you are American that makes you an insurgent.

[edit on 9-9-2005 by Bikereddie]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I guess any person in this modern NWO-world is labeled as an insurgent or criminal if you are the slightest anarchistic in thought, speech or behaviour.

Why innocent people trying to survive, or point a finger to injustice is being criminalized, jailed or shot, because of a failing governmental system is beyond me. I guess we just has to wake up and smell the taint fumes of a regime!

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I would like to add one more thought to this thread. I think that it is a very short leap from "insurgent" to "enemy combatant". Batten down the hatches, rough water ahead.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulvetann
I guess any person in this modern NWO-world is labeled as an insurgent or criminal if you are the slightest anarchistic in thought, speech or behaviour.

Why innocent people trying to survive, or point a finger to injustice is being criminalized, jailed or shot, because of a failing governmental system is beyond me. I guess we just has to wake up and smell the taint fumes of a regime!

I agree that US citizens should not be called insurgents by their own government, but then again US citizens shouldn't shoot at rescue helicopters and innocent people, loot find or steal items not essential to survival and using the opportunity to prey on the weak and commit atrocious crimes like rapes, murderers etc.. I'm sorry but people stealing electronics, jewelry, raping and killing people are not innocent people just trying to survive. I bet the article was referring to the worst of the worst as insurgents like the guys shooting at helicopters, sniping at the hospital as people try to evacuate etc.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by warpboost]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Its in-vogue i guess. Its poor journalism at work.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This following thread is based on the same article:

ATS: Combat Operations - Insurgency - Civil War?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So what should we call the people that were shooting at the helicopters, people, police etc?

"gang bangers?" sounds to L.A. ish, too high school

"Thugs?" Sounds too retro.

"Criminals?" accurate, but sterile.

How about "flood scum?" Yeah, I like that, but unfortunately it doesn't really convey the depth of depravity and asocial behavior exhibited.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost

Originally posted by Ulvetann

I agree that US citizens should not be called insurgents by their own government, but then again US citizens shouldn't shoot at rescue helicopters and innocent people, loot find or steal items not essential to survival and using the opportunity to prey on the weak and commit atrocious crimes like rapes, murderers etc.. I'm sorry but people stealing electronics, jewelry, raping and killing people are not innocent people just trying to survive. I bet the article was referring to the worst of the worst as insurgents like the guys shooting at helicopters, sniping at the hospital as people try to evacuate etc.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by warpboost]

Unfortunately when the US military start killing insurgents there is LOTS of "collateral damage".. Do we really want the military in NO or any other American city where innocent citizens can become collateral damage? Not in my city thank you very much!
I don't even want them in Iraq causing collateral damage I sure as heck don't want them in the US doing it.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Its in-vogue i guess. Its poor journalism at work.

IMHO it was probably not "poor journalism" it was probably more government propaganda in order for those who refuse to be herded like sheeple into government containment centers to be dehumanized in the eyes of the mindless masses so that extermination will be acceptable... I saw this happen during the Waco slaughter & was sickened by the fact that it was considered acceptable in the eyes of the American people.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by Watchman77]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
As per what Hellmutt said, there's already a thread on this topic.

Combat Operations - Insurgency - Civil War?

Thanks for the help.

Thread closed.

top topics

join