It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen to the Middle East if the US was oil independent?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9/8/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

What would happen to the Middle East if the United States became energy independent. According to the Rand Corporations "think tank"s recent report on US oil shale reserves, the US has enough reserves to supply a significant proportion of American petro-energy needs for the next 400 years!

If the US were energy independent, what would happen to the Middle Eastern oil producing states?

[edit on 9/8/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
They would have markets in Asia and other parts of the world still also depended upon them; of course, competition would play a fundamental part and we would see Oil prices dropping due to market schemes. Consumers want a better product for a better price and if the Sauds can provide that product, than the U.S. Oil reserves need find a better buyer.

Luxifero

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I think American axioms would prevail.

1) What I have is mine.
2) Sell me what you have, I have money.
3) When your oil runs out, I owe you nothing.
4) Remember Rule One.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
total chaos. back to the past where they all were before the discovery of oil. since they depend mostly on oil to get funds. well this time they have to go back to the old ways where they try to find water and go out to sea to get fish.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Well they always have India and China with their growing dependancy to get what they one.

But US is much more dependable and willing to pay.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
They'll get by just fine because the US is just a small portion of their exports.

Iran exported 2.4 million b/d in 2003.
The US imported none of that oil (sanctions)

Iraq exported 1.5 million b/d in 2002 (2003 was low because of the war)
The US imported 876 thousand b/d of that oil (more than all other nations combined)

Kuwait exported 1.2 million b/d in 2003.
The US imported 216 thousand b/d of that oil.

Qatar exported 541 thousand b/d of oil in 2003.
The US imported 9 thousand b/d of that oil.

Saudi Arabia exported 6.5 million b/d in 2003.
The US imported 1.6 million b/d of that oil.

United Arab Emirates exported 2 million b/d in 2003.
The US imported 7 thousand b/d of that oil.

Out of 19.5 million b/d of OPEC crude oil exports in 2003, the US only bought 3.8 million b/d from OPEC (about 750 thousand b/d of that oil came from Venezuela) whereas Western Europe bought over 4 million b/d from OPEC and the Asia and Pacific regions bought almost 9 million b/d from OPEC.

OPEC

[edit on 8-9-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I don't think Bush would forget about Arab countries. Because many still threaten Israel and America is willing to support Israel come what may. Not because of oil but because of the "Friends of Israel" organisation which with Israeli money corrupts U.S politics (it was formally known as the Zionist movement). Also as long as America's own Jewish population dwarfs the Arabs there will be some votes (and campaign money) to be had at least.

If America was oil independent its military leaders could consider blasting the Arab world to bits to whatever extent even to the point of making Vietnam look paradise. And it could do this because it wouldn’t have to worry about oil just Israel.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
If the U.S. becomes energy independent it will be likely due to technology advances that would eventually spread to the rest of the world. Perhaps a better question would be what would happen to them if the world no longer needed petroleum.

top topics

join