It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: United Nations Concerns Over Mounting Violence By Iraqi Pro Government Forces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Authorities in Iraq have been urged to look into reports of systemic torture and abuse in police stations and by pro government forces within the country. The United Nations have released a report on the matters of concern on the same day that 14 victims of "Extrajudicial Executions" were recovered. It is believed that corpses often appear in many areas bearing sings of torture that co-incide with arrests by forces linked to the ministry of interior. The U.N report states also that widespread and lengthy detentions of suspected Sunni insurgents may be counter productive and continues to be a matter of concern.

www.abc.net.au
"Serious allegations of extra-judicial executions ... underline a deterioration in the situation of law and order."

The Shiite-led government has denied accusations from the once dominant Sunni Arab minority that it tolerates sectarian death squads among police forces.

It has admitted that abuses do occur but has vowed to crack down.

Sunni insurgents are also accused of mass killings of civilians and security personnel.

Sunni leaders were angered when 36 bound and blindfold men were found tortured and shot near the Iranian border two weeks ago.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is good that the United Nations has spoken out and admitted there is such widespread anomalies. Hopefully things will settle within the country but it seems that once again religion is at the root of the issues, with the two islamic sects sunni's and shiites being unable to agree on new policy.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I don't know when you posted this Mayet, but I'm surprised to be the first to comment.

This subject has been nagging at me for about 3 months now. The Sunni's have been complaining about police torture and executions for about that long now and there appears to be evidence they are correct. I expected some reprisal killings to take place, but not sanctioned by the police. This is not a good sign for the future of Iraq.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I posted a story describing this in mid-July.
West turns blind eye as police put Saddam's torturers back to work

Gotta love the hypocrisy of the entire Iraq fiasco.

[edit on 2005-9-9 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
I posted a story describing this in mid-July.
West turns blind eye as police put Saddam's torturers back to work

Gotta love the hypocrisy of the entire Iraq fiasco.

[edit on 2005-9-9 by wecomeinpeace]

wecomeinpeace - the essential news from your piece was the rehiring of the ex Sunni security people and most of them have been removed since then. The essential part of Mayet's post concerns the Shiites now doing the same damn thing. Sadr has roving police killers in Basra now who appear to be killing off ex sympathizers, etc. of the old Saddam regime, plus the police forces around & about the Sunni triangle have been systematically rounding up old enemies on one pretext or another and killing them.

Given the contention over the proposed constitution, this state of affairs could well lead to an all out civil war between the Sunnis & Shiites, with the Kurds standing by and being prepared to exploit the situation for whatever will best help them. This is not a way to build an enduring nation.

top topics

join