It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My cousin died of a mysterious flesh eating disease.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This was some years ago, but being new to this site, I thought I'd post it and see what people think.

He was working at the Naval Shipyard in Newport, RI...working construction. He got a simple cut on his right hand and contracted a flesh eating disease and was dead within a week. It ate the flesh on his hand and then worked it's way up his arm at which time he went into a coma. He came out of the coma and they thought he was going to pull through, but he eventually succumbed to the disease.

At the time, I thought it odd that such a disease could be contracted in Rhode Island and found it odder that it was at a Government facility. I wondered if a chemical weapon of some sort was accidently let into the air in the area. I also found out that he wasn't the only one to contract the disease and to die from it.

I found it also strange that my aunt and uncle (his parents) never launched an investigation into how he got it or why. I wondered if someone got to them and told them to leave it alone. Like, maybe someone in the government threatened them if they pursued it.

This happened about 10 years ago now. His name (if it might help someone on here find information) was Stephen Knight and he was 31 or 32 at the time. He was a basketball coach for Tiverton High School and lived in Tiverton, RI. They named a street after him there. Big deal. I don't understand why the whole incident was swept under the rug.

If anyone has any knowledge of flesh eating diseases or maybe an explanation of what may have occured at that Naval facility I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback!!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I was in California ten years ago I remember that the skin eating disease as it was called was in the raise but, with proper care and putting people in oxygen containers would stop the disease.

Perhaps he got the infection when it was early still on the causes of it. I think that is a simple common virus that turns bad.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hi XanaX///
I heard about the ''flesh eating disease'' a few yrs back.......the disease destroyes live tissue which is the flesh...

I did a google search .....

The department said the bacterial cause of the infection, Vibrio vulnificus, is naturally present in warm seawater and may cause infection through open wounds. Members of the public are reminded to avoid exposing open wounds to sea water.

from here

quote///

Unravelling the devious behaviour of the flesh-eating disease

Flinders Journal: June 19 - July 2, 2000

Group A streptococcus bacteria, the cause of infections ranging from necrotising faciitis, the so-called flesh-eating disease, to the common sore throat, has a cunning way of infiltrating the body's defences.
www.flinders.edu.au...

Im sorry about your cousin....

IX
helen

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Thanks Helen for the info, I remember that many people that had the common virus will turn to the doctors because they were afraid of becoming infected.

But the truth is that is actually rare, is still happening but now is easier to treated when is caught in time.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It's called necrotizing fasciitis and mentioned often here at ATS: Search Results

The leader of the Parti Quebecois lost a leg to it some years ago. Strange disease that seems to pop up from time to time. I don't know much else about it.

[edit on 9/8/2005 by Gools]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
NF is nasty, it's very rapidly fatal, and for the love of all that's good and chocolatey, don't do a google image search unless you're certain you won't regurgitate breakfast.

There is a support group for victims and families affected by NF.

Which has a fantastic FAQ

We can personally tell you about people who developed NF after a C-section, after abdominal surgery, after scratching a rash, after giving birth vaginally, from a tiny scratch, after bumping a leg with a golf bag, after a friendly punch in the arm from a buddy, after a little cut on the finger, after a cut on the foot, after a rug burn, after having a routine blood draw in a physical exam, after a broken arm, and after a broken leg, and from no known trauma at all.

Basically, anyone can succumb to this; there are no special circumstances required, really.

It's just a nasty fact of life. No conspiracy.

(Does anyone remember the ER episode when Corday has to work fast on a patient with NF? Well, I did - and found the synopsis, just as a reminder and a glimpse at a pretty realistic portrayal )

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Thanks Helen for the info,

your welcome Marg/
There are so many 'hidden' diseases that if we start reading up on them, we'd go mad!

If your time arrives, there's not much you can do but be ready(hope that didn't sound like I was preaching!)Honestly though,in times like this and with so many other things happening in this world, our many differences must be put aside(seeing others faults instead of our own).......mankind needs to have more Love and kindness to one another.

helen

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Thank you Helen and everyone else for your help. It's just sad. He was a great guy and dies from a simple cut on his hand. It was a a Naval base so the sea water may be a factor. What a horrible disease lurking out there......

thanks again!!

join