It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a question about disinformation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I believe in the veracity of the mj-12 documents(some at least). Its apparent whoever did them if they are fraudulent had inside knowledge. Considering also the Bennewitz affair, how does disinformation really work? If much of our study is filled with it ,to what purpose does it really serve?

Its fairly obvious IMO that aliens exist, so if stories of disagreements with the greys at Dulce and underground bases only makes us dig further, what has it accomplished? We still have so much evidence something is going on, so why does so much disinfo(if that is what it is) involve facts about the aliens themselves?

What are we being prepared for? Are there darker secrets that await, or is the government simply gauging a small portion of the public of the possibilities of hostilities, to test for disclosure, whatever that may include?

This was my first topic ,so I hope its intent is clear. Of course later on( when not near a computer) I'll realise how I should have phrased this question

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I also believe that the 3 core MJ-12 documents are authentic. I think they were prepared by people who were still comming to grips with the ideas they contained and because of that were prepared in a non-standard fashion. Doing this also helps to prevent people from believing they are real if, as eventually happened, they get leaked to the public.

There are many books out there that cover the ideas behind disinformation and psychological warfare, the principlies are well known. It is a form of PR, getting someone to believe what you wish them to believe.

In the UFO realm the main point has always been to simply discredit people who are found to have real information. The way humans think makes this amazingly easy to accomplish. You read something that is an accurate and real account of an event. You tell someone else and they say 'Well I heard he was arrested for child molestation 10 years ago'. And blammo, you throw the story out.

The percentage of people who will actually dig and try to verify this offhanded comment is sadly quite small. This same technique has been used in a large context for years.

Another way this sort of thing is accomplished is to feed someone false information that you can then discredit. I can publish 100 authentic documents but let me get caught supporting even 1 fake one and most people stop listening.

In some cases, and I think this is what happened to Bob Lazar. People, either for their own protection, or because they were forced into it, mix in some false information with the truth. They are still getting some of the truth out but the false information reduces the number of people who will believe in them to a tiny fraction. You might remember that for a time Lazar was the focus of almost everyone in the UFO community.

I have always felt the driving force behind all this is not an overabundance of knowlege on the part of officials but rather the reverse. They do not know all that much and this alone is frightening. They do know that we have been able to do little to stop these events and since they are charged with the defense of all of us they do not wish that to become known.

Along with this fear is the power that the knowledge brings. Whatever amount of knowledge we have gained from recovered crashes and other events is all the more powerful because it is not shared with the rest of the World. Just the mere fact that we are not alone, that someone can travel here from other Planets is a powerful thing.

A.T
(-)

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Thank you for the reply. I find it intriguing that they may not know as much as we'd think after all these years, thus lots of lies about them. That fact alone proves there's concern about sightings. It'd be interesting after all these years if we still knew little.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The type of disinformation that I find interesting is the method of discrediting a conspiracy theory by creating a character who comes out supporting it, and offering proof, and then revealing that he is a fraud, and the proof is fake. The public is usually sold on the idea that this proves the theory is bunk. Of course it doesn't prove that at all, just that this one person was dishonest. But the media focus on the lack of credibility of the supporter, and that is good enough for most. I have seen examples of this done very successfully, and there were few people who were not convinced by the ruse.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I am a disinformation officer. My job is to convince people that the Alien Conspiracy is nothing more than Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. I've succeeded so far but I have years to go before my Brethren can safely go about their probings.

top topics

join