It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Solar Warning - will reach the Earth

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This wouldn't have anything to do with the sudden burst of heat we've experienced here in michigan would it?

It's been pleasant recently up until a day or two ago. Today was very hot again and I was silly enough to go out and do my gardening in it. "yuck"

How long can we expect this for and if an aurora is possible to see when should I check, i'd like to take pictures as I live in the country and we have a beautiful view of the skies.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The worst of the solar storm of the 9th has passed us by now.

If you want to see the Aurora Borealis, tonight may be your last chance for the time being. Tomorrow calls for rain (I'm just across L. Huron from you)

That's not to say the sun spot cannot give us another good shot...it's actually lined up toward earth right now. If it did, we'd get a direct shot and the Aurora should be spectacular.

here's a great linky...
www.spaceweather.com...

[edit on 13-9-2005 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The Int'l Space Station is what I meant by ISS. Would it be possible for a flare to knock it out of the sky? If so, and it occured, that would be sign number 9 that precedes the Hopi prediction for a global disaster. The first 8 are all done, and the ISS crashing down would be very close to what they said the 9th and final sign would be.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

www.space.com...

To answer your question, Blackguard, read the final few lines in the above link, where it talks about an expanding atmosphere.

What was the final sign, anyways...I though the 'Blue Star Katchina' had to 'dance in the plaza'? Could it be that Sedna is the Blue Star?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Heard on CtoC last night Sun's upcoming Solar flares would only have a serious problem on Humans in space -- walking in space. Even going as far to say the Internation Space Station's Astronaughts would be O.K. in the stations protective cell.

And that satelities should be O.K too. As for the Earth, ozone will protect Humans and Animals. The open ozone near the North Pole however is of some risk.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Looks like we'll soon see what the effects of a large CME directed at Earth will do. There's one on the way and should hit us in 24 hrs (or so).
This is only an X1 flare compared to the X17 flare of the 9th, but it will still disrupt radio transmissions.

www.spaceweather.com...

I'm sure the view from the ISS is going to be spectacular...hope they can send pics when it's over.

[edit on 14-9-2005 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The last solar maximum peaked around the autumn of 2001, and although it is not the same length each time, the average time between maximums is 11.3 years. Next year is the solar minimum, and yet we are seeing record breaking huge flares right now. The next maximum comes at an appropriate time if it comes at about the average timespan, which would put it right around the end of 2012. I would not be shocked to learn that this is no fluke. The Mayans, according to one book I read, had a very extensive knowledge about the sun, sunspot cycles, and other solar cycles.
As for the ozone layer, I wouldn't worry too much about that. The lack of understanding of how ozone is created and how it dissipates is the main source of worry. Ozone needs sunlight to exist, since it is really just electrified oxygen. At sunset, above us, the ozone layer breaks down every night, and then re-forms in the morning. So, the poles are bound to have big holes during the winter, as there is very little sunlight for the whole season. I would be more concerned about the sun itself. It is so much bigger than the earth, and likely has much longer cycles than earth too. There may be some cyclic solar outburst that happens so infrequiently, say every 26 000 years or something, that is just an example, we would have no clue that it was coming, since we weren't recording data that long ago. But that is just conjecture on my part. What I do know is that the exact timing of the solstice at the end of 2012 does have an interesting coincidence to current number meanings speculation.
If we hadn't burnt all those Mayan texts, we might already know what is coming up. Maybe some people do know.... is it going to be an unlucky 13.0.0.0.0. Baktun? Soon enough we all will know.
It promises to be interesting anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join