It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus.. Help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I havent been on for a while because my wrists have been bothering me so you wont see me posting much i usually just stay on for a few minutes but i come on my computer today and mcafee virus scan pops up saying a virus is detected so i try to quarantine the file and delete it. The file cannot be quarantined and after deleting the file it still pops up saying its still there and its non stop i need some help on this. The virus is "W32/Alemod" whatever the hell that is.. and the file infected is C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WININET.DLL i have no idea what that is any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
This link should walk you through it.

vil.mcafeesecurity.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
You definately need to update your virus definitions and engine. If you will right click the icon in your system tray and then select update.
Once you have done this, you need to perform an on-demand scan of your system and allow Mcafee to clear up the issue.
Up-to-date virus defs and engine are able to clean this trojan and repai the changes in the ini files as well as the the registry.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
if your virus program does not fix your problem you might find an answer here
W32/Alemod

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
My first one line post . . . sorry

IMO the first thing to do would be to "uninstall" McAfee.

Step 2 involves "installing" Trend Micro's PC-cillin 2005

Step 3 is to relax while life returns to normal.

Seriously, though....

I spend my days [actually most evenings as well] returning peoples 'puters to a functional state. Whether it be hardware, software, adware, spyware, crapware, viruses, etc. . . I have yet to receive a call from anyone using this program.

Now, I'm not necessarily trying to "plug" a particular program . . . it's just that in over 5+ years I've yet to receive a call concerning a system using Trend's "all-inclusive" Internet Security program [antivirus, firewall, wireless intrusion, spyware detection/removal, security checker for Windows vulnerabilities(updates), and the most important aspect is a much more proactive approach to overall detection/protection.

All for the same price as most competitors charge for their antivirus alone. . . $49.95

To me it's a no-brainer . . . when set to fully-automated [updates,scans,etc.] it just works, with little or no user intervention/input.

Addititonal plusses include free phone support for the lifetime of your subscription [and you'd be surprised how quickly they answer the phone], free online virus scans for anyone, and the list just goes on and on.

ooohh... and all that in a low resource program [less memory usage], unlike that of either Norton or McAfee [memory hogs IMO].

Anyway, I hope the aforementioned leads help you to resolve your current problem.

Turns out this wasn't a one-liner after all :O)

Peace2All

[edit on 8-9-2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Trip over to:

www.... geekstogo. com

these are online techs who deal with viruses everyday.
Tell them what you told us.

They will have you run a 'hijack this' log and post it.
And they will be able to look at the log and help you.

These guys are good. (Not that I am a member of course.)

[edit on 8-9-2005 by garyo1954]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Hey everyone, i tryed it and i guess it got removed but now bullguard keeps popping up saying its blocking two virus' anyone know how i can remove them? I tryed bullguard and ewido security suite but no luck my computer is getting a lil slow.. and its making me furious right now.. any help would be appreciated and i want to say thanks for your help with the first problem

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Run the virus scan in safemode?
Maybe it cant delete a file because its being used...

Go through the regedit and msconfig basic commands and stop any unwanted processes from starting.

clear out all temps

.. If you know the name of the virus, do some reasearch and you might find a removal tool

top topics

join