It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush Declares Katrina Prayer Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
President Bush has declared Friday 16th September a national day of prayer and rememberance for the victims of hurricane Katrina. He has also ordered all agencies working within the disaster zone to treat any bodies found with 'Dignity and Respect'.

news.bbc.co.uk
US President George W Bush has declared Friday 16 September a national day of prayer and remembrance for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Vice-President Dick Cheney is in the worst-hit areas of the US south to review the progress of relief work. Mr Cheney's arrival in Mississippi comes as 25,000 body bags are sent to New Orleans and rescuers begin recovering victims.

With bodies still being sighted in the floodwater, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said there would be a "very ugly situation" when it receded.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Im sure people the world over will join the US on the 16th and pray for the victims and survivors of hurricane Katrina.

I know i will be.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I'd hope that he wouldn't need to tell people to treat the dead with dignity and respect....

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I'd hope that he wouldn't need to tell people to treat the dead with dignity and respect....

U'd think that fellow survivors would treat each other with dignity and respect in the superdome too...but did that happen!

Mic

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I find this to be a regression from accountability on his part. Simply touting a gesture such as this will not justify the failure in major deparments of the goverment before, during and after this hurricane.

And, yes, the member who stated that people need not be told how to treat bodies with dignity and respect, I wholly agree; this is simply common sense.

Luxifero

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
He looks older than his old man and all of his back handed, cut throat deals are coming apart thanks to mother nature. The catastrophe in LA., seems to be exposing this idiots arse.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by GrndLkNatv]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I'll do what i darn well please...I will pray everyday for those victims. I dont have to be told what goodness is in my heart and when i should exercise it.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Survivors are different; they're fighting for their livelihoods, and there's inherent competition between people.

The dead don't really provide much in the way of competition...that's why I mentioned it, really.

We shouldn't need to be told to respect and dignify anyone....

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Treat the bodies of the dead with dignity and respect...

But screw the refugees.

I'm not sure our government is playing with a full deck. And I think there's more than two jokers in the pack...

Sorry. I don't have much reverence for the dead, at least no more than I have for the living.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Bump coz i think its worth it!

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
In my opinion, it's a nice gesture, but far too little, way too late. Prayer won't rescue these people. Prayer won't make the flood waters recede. Prayer won't bring back to life the parents of those children who are now orphans.

Bush needs to stop praying and start helping. He is one of the people that can increase funding to rescue and post-rescue care efforts. He's one of the people that can name someone qualified to the head of FEMA. He's the person that can issue an executive order to NOT turn away any offered help or supplies.

Those of us who care are already helping in our own ways. Those who pray have prayed, and continue praying. Those that can donate money, have. Those that can offer goods and services already have, and continue to do so, even in light of being constantly turned away. Those who wish to donate time and physical hands are already doing so, even without the "authorization" of FEMA or the Red Cross.

President Bush, we all already remember them, honor them, and want to help them. Stop working against us, and start helping us help them. Put down the prayer book, and start using your authority to enable us, in secular ways, to give those people the help they so badly need, and will continue to need. Action is going to help these people get through this, not prayers.

[edit on 9-9-2005 by obsidian468]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

PRAY FOR COAST GUARD VICE ADMIRAL THAD W. ALLEN WHO IS NOW OVERSEEING FEMA'S RESPONSE TO HURRICANE KATRINA.

The Presidential Prayer Team

Now that you know when to pray, here's what to pray for.

Pray for the President as he seeks unprecedented cooperation between federal, state and local agencies to help victims of Hurricane Katrina...

Pray for the President as he now considers an additional nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court, asking God to lead him clearly as he considers all candidates...

Pray for the President as he meets with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani at the White House on September 13...

Pray for the President as he travels to New York September 13-14 to participate in the 60th United Nations General Assembly.

THEN:

Pray for the victims of Hurricane Katrina—

Who writes this stuff?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
You know, this is a little off topic, but it just occured to me....

What are the chances of two major tragedies befalling the US within four years of each other, under the most controversial president the US has ever known? Both of these events were forseen by one person or another, plans were in place to deal with them, and both times, efforts have been botched (at least on a Federal level).

I suppose the real question is..... What's REALLY going on here?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by obsidian468
In my opinion, it's a nice gesture, but far too little, way too late. Prayer won't rescue these people. Prayer won't make the flood waters recede. Prayer won't bring back to life the parents of those children who are now orphans.

Yes but we still pray for them!

Prayer wont bring back the victims of 9/11 but we pray for them, prayer wont bring back the victims of 7/7, but we pray for them!

I 100% understand what you are saying, but i also 100% believe that we should pray for the decesed of these times that have gone to a better place!

Praying will not bring these people back, but it will make the people that remain here happier believing that the victims of hurricane Katrina have gone to a better place. Much better than the world we live in today!

Mic

[edit on 9/9/2005 by MickeyDee]

[edit on 9/9/2005 by MickeyDee]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
OK? Bush is pulling out the religion card again.

There are people still buying that?

If so.... :shk:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Bush say we have to pray?
To hell with Bush and his ideals. I have my own mind ,and don't need someone like him telling me when to pray.

As for treating the bodies with dignity and respect, doesn't this go without saying?
Maybe he is saying this because there are so many bodies still floating about that he feels ashamed of the way he and his Government have run things?

The guy is too late with his sentiments IMO. He does not give a damn about what happens to the dead or the survivors.
He has proven that...........

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Although it might be alien to some of you from other countries, it's a common practice in the U.S. for a president to call for a national day of prayer after a tragedy such as this...it certainly isn't unique to Bush.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
Yes but we still pray for them!

Prayer wont bring back the victims of 9/11 but we pray for them, prayer wont bring back the victims of 7/7, but we pray for them!

I 100% understand what you are saying, but i also 100% believe that we should pray for the decesed of these times that have gone to a better place!

Praying will not bring these people back, but it will make the people that remain here happier believing that the victims of hurricane Katrina have gone to a better place. Much better than the world we live in today!

Mic

By all means, please continue praying, but not because Bush tells you to, but because you care. Personally, I am not a religious man, so I haven't prayed, but I've offered what help I can in the forms that I can.

My point here, and I feel you see it as well, is that we all have to do what we can to help these people, even if it is just a simple prayer, or as much as donating time, money, and effort to join the rescue and support efforts.I don't expect anyone to go above and beyond their own abilities to help, but what we can offer, no matter what it is, is always going to be noted and appreciated by those affected by this tragedy.

I just feel that the President, in the position that he holds, needs to be doing far more than just declaring a national prayer day. To those suffering hardship from this storm, and already upset by the lack of response, it's almost so little as to add insult to injury.

Prayer will help to return hope to these people, but Bush could be doing so much more than returning hope - he could be helping them piece their lives back together.

As a side note, personally, the Katrina tragedy has affected me far more than the 9/11 attack did. In 9/11, we lost many people, and a symbol of America. With Katrina, on the other hand, we lost an entire city and far more lives - both of the dead and the survivors. I have many fond memories of New Orleans, and frankly, it was one of my favorite cities. I personally feel insulted by the declaration of a "day of prayer" rather than real relief efforts, and I am nowhere near the city. I can only imagine how it feels to those that were affected firsthand.

I thank all of you who have helped in their own ways, and please keep helping as much as you can.

To President Bush - help these people rebuild their lives and their homes. YOU have the power to do that. For once, do something that may make people believe in you again, and EXERCISE that power. A Day of prayer and rememberance, frankly, doesn't cut it.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Why do we have to pray on a certain day?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
Why do we have to pray on a certain day?

Because Bush tell you so.

Prayer do not bring the death, and do not feed the hungry, and while is the best tool to keep the hopes of the needy and oppress, sooner of later even prayers are not enough.

But we still pray for everything because is part of our nature to hope for better days.

let people pray, also let them scream, cry and show anger all of that helps the soul.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
(Removed comment)

[edit on 11-9-2005 by asala]

new topics

top topics

join