It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico Sends First Aid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Very Interesting indeed.

First Canada and Now Mexico to aide in relief of Katrina survivors????

I guess this is ok, we will have to see how many Mexican Nationals jump ship and stay in the US after their job is done.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

September 8, 2005
MSNBC

Mexico Sends First Aid Convoy Ever to U.S.

Food, supplies, doctors come north in gesture fraught with symbolism, iron

Troops would help refugee operations in San Antonio, Texas.

“Our mission is to give aid to the civilian population affected by the disaster,” Ortiz said.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
I guess this is ok, we will have to see how many Mexican Nationals jump ship and stay in the US after their job is done.

Probably tens of Thousands have died, thousands are stranded, and hundreds of thousands have had their lives absolutely destroyed and you say “I guess this is ok”. You have more concern over the thought of Mexicans staying in the US after their job is done than for those Americans in need. Good grief…

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
And what has SIRR1 done for his fellow Americans in this disaster? I'd say these Mexicans offering aid are more American that you are.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
Very Interesting indeed.

First Canada and Now Mexico to aide in relief of Katrina survivors????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.msnbc.msn.com...

“Our mission is to give aid to the civilian population affected by the disaster,” Ortiz said.

Let's put 2 + 2 together here....

Title: Mexico Estimates 145,000 Displaced by Katrina
SubTitle; (Official says Deportation Fears keeping Victims in shadows)

...officials estimate 100,000 mexicans were living in New Orleans alone...

www.statesman.com...

...er, to me that sorta takes the shine off the 'unconditional giving for humanity sake' aura that was being foisted about..
its just political posturing in the final analysis, imho

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
What horrible thing to say SIRR1...... HOw sad.....
I agree strongly with kinglizard......... we should be more concerned on the ppl gettn out alive and ok rather than whether the (us) the mexicans are gonna stay here....... they are doin it out of kindness cuz this is a terrible thing..many are dead many lost everything and ur concern is race.......

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
This post not only show insensitivity but xenophobia. To assume that the Mexican aid being sent: doctors, military troops, workers, would *want* to stay in the US is such a biased opinion.

Mexico is not just made up of the illegal immigrants you read about in the news or encounter working at your fast food restaurants, they are a functional country with professionals, middle, lower, working and upper class just like your own country. Why would you assume they would want leave their jobs, families, country just to 'run to the border' to the great land of (so called) opportunity to live as an illegal immigrant in poverty, racism and no respect from US citizens?

Listen to how realistic your response is - you are assuming doctors are going to use the Katrina excuse so they can get great jobs working minimum wage washing dishes in some border town diner and being looked down upon by other people? Doctors in all countries, especially poorer ones, have the respect of their people. It is a noble profession regardless of the person behind the white coat because of the thankless job they do everyday. To trade this respect in for a life of poverty on the run is ridiculous and tells me you don't know too much about immigration.

People leave their countries for a lot of reasons, but often the illegal ones leave because they have no choice or hope. Sometimes this is based on economics, sometimes this is political. If Mexican doctors and workers wanted to leave Mexico that badly and come to the US, I'm sure they would have a better chance applying for a visa that would evaluate their profession and deterimine whether they can be used in another country - otherwise, what kind of jobs would they aspire to? What kind of life?

The life of the poor in the US is so markedly harsh that one would have to be very desperate indeed to desire it instead of the life they have now. I have lived and visited other countries where the life of the poor is enhanced by other possibilities rather than economics. The people are so full of life, enjoying few physical comforts and relishing instead: friends, families, parties, celebrations, food, drink, etc... a deep rooted philosophy of joie de vivre despite the circumstances.

You make the US sound like it a cushy utopia for the poor and the weary, instead of the more realistic years and years of hard labour and mulitiple jobs that one would have to put in just to live an average life, live in an average house and drive an average car.

The US is great if you have lots of money or if you are middle class - it is also great in terms of some of the freedoms it affords people who have escaped from religious or political persecution. Unfortunately it is also a country many underprivilaged run to because they believe the American dream of making it - not realising the hardships this really entails.

Still, who am I to knock this dream? Many have built their lives around it, sacrificing their years and their bodies so that their families can live a better life. It is important to not let nostalgia or fluffly clouds mar your logic. The dream is a tough one and one often not achievable despite the lifetime of work to obtain it. If you wanted to have a philosophical discussion we could argue why the dream isn't even realistic - but that is a subject for a different thread.

What is my point? You are implying Mexicans would abandon everything, drop to their knees and kiss US soil just so they can stay in *your* country instead of helping in the Katrina disaster, which is why they are being sent by their government in the first place.

Please think about what you say before you say it.

new topics

top topics

join