It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"levee was bombed by the Army Corps of Engineers "

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Raw transcript of comments by NOLA evacuee Clara Barthelemy:

"The 17th Street levee was bombed by the Army Corps of Engineers to save the more valuable real estate in the city… to keep the French Quarter protected, the Ninth Ward was sacrificed… people are afraid to speak out… everyone who was near there heard the bombings… they bombed seven times. That’s why they didn’t fix the levees… 20 feet of water. Gators. People dying in water. They let the parishes go, not the city center. Tourist trap was saved over human life."

Raw transcript of comments by NOLA evacuee Irvin Skinner:

"We have a curfew. We’re being kept inside after 11pm. Forced to stay inside. They threw guns on everyone. Said 'come inside or your out of here.' Shoved guns, pointed them at adults. I’m a grown man, I have rights. This is an institution to us, it’s like a jail. I’m a middle class man with a home being treated like a criminal because I’m black. If we were white, we wouldn’t have this problem. We are not here by choice.'"

jacob.wordpress.com...

If the levee was blown without accounting for human life, we have a tremendous scandal to address.

AF1

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I'm not too familiar with the levee system, but how could blowing one out actually protect an area instead of letting the levee fill up?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this BT.

It's really funny now that you mention it. One of the members in New Orleans was telling me in chat that there were backhoes down at the levee's ready to pull them down. I thought nothing of it at the time but its very intriguing now.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
why bomb the levee wen the Katrina can just bring it down with ease dat really dont make sense unless it can actually withstand the Katrina hurricane that means Bush is not responsible and should not spend funds to upgrade it!!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
It's really funny now that you mention it. One of the members in New Orleans was telling me in chat that there were backhoes down at the levee's ready to pull them down. I thought nothing of it at the time but its very intriguing now.

I guest you never thought that the backhoes down by the levee might be there in case repairs where need. It is plain to see you never lived in a flood plane.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I mean no disrespect "Bout Time" but I came across this article from Wayne Madsen. I'm not saying it is true but just throwing it into the mix.

The breach was not caused by rising flood waters as reported by FEMA and other agencies. Lakeview is some 1.5 miles down Veterans Boulevard from the 17th St. Canal breach.

Distraught evacuees want to know why the Coast Guard or the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers did not secure the barge. The evacuees who witnessed the barge striking the levee also want to know why the major media is not covering this story. It is not known what company owns the barge but if it is a major campaign contributor to the GOP, the answer is self-evident.
www.waynemadsenreport.com...

Question did the levees break in more than one place,?

[edit on 8/9/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I seriously hope that this is just a "story", cause if it isnt,.... i fear for the general public oppinion about this... this could turn into an ugly scandal

[edit on 8-9-2005 by XyZeR]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Like I said in another post, It confused me initially to see water flowing out of the city through the break on the low side near the red brick apartment buildings. I realize now it may have been designed to keep the flooding contained to the lowest lying areas, which just happen to be the poorest, in the city. Now, the real question to me is, was the other levee, the one that let the water in taken out on purpose?

Perhaps Nygdan will elaborate on his repeated assertion that a global hawk missile took it out. Don't those things send video up to the moment of impact?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Excellent post, BT. I believe it 100 percent, it doesn't surprise me in the least. I think that the public outcry will be pretty muted, though, since the story will go completely unreported and in time fade into the background of urban legend, even though it most likely did actually happen.
---Ryan

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
during the missippi flood some leaves were broken to relive water presser on other parts of the leavy systeam to keep the flood confined to certian areas .
an in new orleans braking a leavy to relive presser on other parts of the systeam work work just as well .
But of corse if theres people in the area were the leavy was broken to reduce presser then people will die .
Ps im not saying they broke a leavy to say part of the city .im saying that braking a leavy to say part of the city would work. as now all the water presser would have a place to go.
Just like when your taking a Nice HOt shower and the kids turn on the hot water in the kitchen for a kik to hear you yell .
you my frien just lost some water presser even though its a closed system it still works .

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
This doesn't make any sense at all. New Orleans was pretty much spared from the brunt of the storm, so why the hell would anyone blow the levee?
There is no strategic reason to blow a levee to save another area. That is absolutely proposterous. I've read some really dumb things on ATS but this about takes the cake. The Corp of Engineers blew the levee to flood the poor black folks so they could save the rich white folks, yeah right! This sorta crap has no purpose whatsoever but to stir up racial tension. There were white people that dies in NO along side the blacks. Why is it that every time something happens in this country the race card is played? Why is it that so many here on ATS are eager to accept it for fact?
Have you so little feeling or respect for your country that you want to believe this repugnet vile?

Edit: Censor circumvention not allowed.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by intrepid]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The levees were broken by the high water pressure caused from the storm surge going into Lake Pontchartrain. The reason the French Quarter wasn't flooded as badly is because it is on higher ground, above sea level...

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
One of the members in New Orleans was telling me in chat that there were backhoes down at the levee's ready to pull them down. I thought nothing of it at the time but its very intriguing now.

Backhoes can also be used for levee repair as well as on going maintenence. or other stuff not quite as sinister too. Could have been prepositioned equipment as well

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising

Perhaps Nygdan will elaborate on his repeated assertion that a global hawk missile took it out. Don't those things send video up to the moment of impact?

Icarus, do you have a link to the thread that was in......I missed it, and tried sorting thru Nygdan's posts, with no luck.....thanks.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The Army Core of Engies recently blew some of the levees to allow water to flow back *out* of the city.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I'm 100% certain there will be 100% confusion surrounding the exceptionally frustrating events surrounding the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Additionally, we can fully expect that the intense frustration and anger of those effected will certainly taint their memory of events and reaction to rumors.

That being said, there are few better places to sort through the rumors, lies, misconceptions, and forgotten details than here on ATS. Stories like this will certainly emerge and it does us well to examine and discuss the possibilities. A story like this will often be several generations removed from the original teller of the tale, and while these may seem like a grand exaggerations, there will often been important kernels of truth somewhere.

Let's dig for those kernels and keep focus on the information.

Over the past 10 days, there have been more than one rumor of the sound of explosions near the breeched levees. Most likely, these stories emerge from an exceptionally frustrated group of people with intense anger toward the lack of federal response. Or, there may be sinister motives of official or private nature that need to be discovered. Either way, it's worth discussing.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I certainly think all possibilities are worth exploring, and if one is not prepared to accept the possibility that the governemnt would intentionally flood poor areas in order to spare wealtheir areas of town from damage, then in my opinion that seems very naieve. It's not about stirring racial tensions, it's about accepting the fact that the US government will always put the interests of the wealthy above everyone else.
---Ryan

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This by far will be the biggest lie of them all.

I'd been thinking this all along. Not surprising.
In all my life i could never have imagined this could happen in the United States. We are very protected.
How do i put this: "Gosh Darn them all"

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If this makes the rounds- this will be the catalyst for the civil war we're all anticipating. No doubt.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It certainly would be an effective catalyst for a civil or revolutionary war, but this story will get buried, no doubt, and continue spreading by word of mouth as one of those rumors we all know, deep in our hearts, to be true, whether we like to admit it or not.
---Ryan

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join