It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US test launches ICBM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. — The Air Force launched an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile early Wednesday.
The 1:53 a.m. operation tested the system’s reliability and accuracy. The launch was a team effort by members of the 30th Space Wing and the 576th Flight Test Squadron at Vandenberg and the 91st Space Wing from Minot Air Force Base, N.D.

“The Western (missile test) Range and Vandenberg are national assets critical to verifying the capability of the deployed ICBM force that remains on-alert at bases in North Dakota, Montana and Wyoming,” Col. S. L. Davis, the 576 FLTS commander, said in a statement.

“The data we collect from each operational test launch allows the 576th FLTS to verify, validate, and ultimately improve that capability which in turn helps to maintain global stability.”

The missiles’ two unarmed warheads traveled about 4,200 miles in about 30 minutes, hitting targets at the Ronald Reagan Test Site on the Kwajalein Atoll in the western chain of the Marshall Islands.

Wednesday’s launch was the third this year of a Minuteman III, Davis said. The Air Force will conduct the fourth and final launch of 2005 next week, he said.

Vandenberg also is preparing to launch several space missions over the next couple of months, including the last Titan IV mission. The Titan IV is the largest unmanned space booster used by the Air Force, designed to carry payloads similar to those aboard the space shuttle.

“We’ve entered a very busy launch period at Vandenberg,” said Col. Jack Weinstein, the 30th Space Wing commander. “We’ve got several important, even historic, launches over the next few months.

full article >>

Hmm...I wonder what these guys are upto ?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
hmmm, maybe they are just testing to make sure that when the time comes their missiles will actually fire, just like everyone else. Nothing too shady to me here.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
My brother-in-law worked with them for a few years. They do unique sattelite launches there. One time only type sattelites doing different experiments. As far as the Minuteman launches, like they said, just making sure they work.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Does anyone know if this Minuteman III rocket engine is original one it was manufactured with ? If so,it's a testament to the quality of US solid rocket fuel

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
They are all in the process of being replaced through to September 2008.

www.theautochannel.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
Hmm...I wonder what these guys are upto ?

Working out how they're going to attack those chinese son's of bitches.

www.sparta.cn...

I love this video. Has some pretty bad cussing, wouldnt recommend watching it at work.

top topics

join