It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to buy 38 Russian military transport jets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Russia and China have reached an agreement for the delivery of 38 military Il-76TD transport aircraft. The contract will amount to $850 million.

The Kommersant daily reported on Thursday, Sept. 8, that its source in the Russian Defense Ministry had confirmed the deal and said that it signifies a change in Beijing’s priorities in its trade with Moscow. The source said that China is now more interested in purchasing combat service support devices, among which are Il-76 military transport aircraft.

The source also noted that all of the aircraft delivered to China will be brand new.

As MosNews reported, China and Russia held joint military exercises on Chinese territory this summer. The Russian Defense Ministry and state arms export agency Rosoboronexport hoped to use the exercises as a venue for showcasing Russian arms.

Article >>>

Hmm... those massive exercises ( link ) appear to have borne fruit for Russia.

I am sure these will be very useful for the impending invasion of Taiwan.

Your thoughts ?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
sure seems like they are hell bent of getting equipment that would appear to be in preperation of taiwan let s hope not!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Its possible that is true but saying the purchase of these transports is in order to facilitate an invasion of Taiwan is a bit like adding 2 plus 2 and getting 376.

why not say that the RAF's acquisition of C-17's is to allow an invasion of France?

Besides, it won't be much of an invasion with 38 planes will it.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It just Improves overall deployability..
They've got "magic" happening in Sudan, Bangladesh, Pakistan and maybe in the CARS (near future).. With those jets they can move a sheit-load of troops and mechanised armor to any of these places..
Protecting one's assets requires sound logictics..

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well maybe they juz buy a few of these planes and reverse engineer them and BooM! u get hundreds of chinese copies. I'm betting that this will happen...

Guess they be training a hell lot of paratroopers after they have that amount of transports...

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
why not say that the RAF's acquisition of C-17's is to allow an invasion of France?

I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!

At any rate, yes, im sure that they may study the planes but if they have the Western Avionics packages, then that may be a source of concern.

What I think is more likely is that the PLAF may convert many of them to an AWACS type platform???

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotheRaGe
Well maybe they juz buy a few of these planes and reverse engineer them and BooM! u get hundreds of chinese copies. I'm betting that this will happen...

Me too....i was just thinkin about that.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Guess they be training a hell lot of paratroopers after they have that amount of transports...

china already has these planes.

we are buying more of them

if we were going to reverse engineer them we would have with the 10 or so already

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Its possible that is true but saying the purchase of these transports is in order to facilitate an invasion of Taiwan is a bit like adding 2 plus 2 and getting 376.

Besides, it won't be much of an invasion with 38 planes will it.

Well I suppose that you could amke a small invasion with that amount of planes... Cos' Taiwan isn't the strongest country when it comes to miltary eh...

external image

Mod Edit: Image Size

[edit on 11/9/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite

if we were going to reverse engineer them we would have with the 10 or so already

Maybe its easier to fit the AWACS apparatus on a ready flying a/c..I'm sure the chinese have done their homework on whats more cost-effective..

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite

The most important side is how many Backfire and Blackjet China is going to buy? Those big bomber will be a Laaaaaaaaarge intimidator for US craft-carriers.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Blackjet? You mean BlackjACK? The Blackjack is a big scary bomber to everyone including the crews.
They were maintenance hogs from everything I've heard and like the B-1 had a lot of little problems that added up to a lot of bigger problems. A B-1 crew chief told me one time that there is no such thing as an FMC (Fully Mission Capable-no problems) B-1 anywhere in the USAF inventory.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Well Russia has arguably (as far as I'm aware anyway) the best and biggest transport planes.

And although these aren't THAT big, I agree that it is increasing the deploymenability of China, surely i prepertions of an invasion on somebody....quite possibly Taiwan.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The talks have been going on for 5 years so its no surprise now, it just took too much time. What is good is the IL-78 Midas refuel planes, 6-10 of them have been ordered on tuesday alongside the 30 IL-76TDs. But what I don't get is the number of planes ordered, I'm seeing all kinds of number about how many planes IL-76/IL-78 have been ordered, 30, 36, 38, 40....... And does that include the IL-78s ordered or not? Anyone can provide me with some info?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Blackjet? You mean BlackjACK? The Blackjack is a big scary bomber to everyone including the crews.
They were maintenance hogs from everything I've heard and like the B-1 had a lot of little problems that added up to a lot of bigger problems. A B-1 crew chief told me one time that there is no such thing as an FMC (Fully Mission Capable-no problems) B-1 anywhere in the USAF inventory.

I mean Blackjack, yes, I am soorry, BUT why not?
China hasn't lack any crews to drive any big craft also hasn't lack works to maintenance any large craft!

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Can somebody show me where/when the russians have actually "offered" the blackjack/backfire etc. to the chinese..
REally, I wasn't aware of this..

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Backfires have been offered prior to the exercise with China wanting to see it in action and examine its capabilities in Peace Mission 2005 (basically all the planes in the exercise was for export). China might or might not get it, backfire might be good but it is 70s-80s tech and China wants something more Not the Su-34 but something more maybe Blackjacks but that'll be sometime until a deal is actually proposed and in public. China might acquire as many as 40 backfires in the first batch with even a possible assembly line purchased by China to make spareparts.

Search it, you'll find it.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Well all I can see is that the chinese wanted it in the 90s and the Russians didn't want to sell..
There are some recent reports(2004) in hongkong media but nothing offiicial from either country(esp. Russia) to substantiate if this is even being considered by the Russians

www.globalsecurity.org...

But Many claim that it will be an inevitability..
I would like to see some russian input on this though..official input..

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
China wanted it in the early nineties when Russia wasn't
down the toilet and Soviet pride among other reasons stopped them from selling it but Russia now is certainly very different from the Russia then so
they are selling. Tu-22s are good for the navy but almost no use to the airforce. I have no idea what kind of numbers we are looking at, a credible maritime strike capability for a country the size of China would need at least 50 but would China want that many?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
50 Tu-22M3 backfires??

No way..
China doesn't need so many..
IF the deal goes through I think they'd want not more than 10..

Nobody needs 50 of those!!!

[edit on 13-9-2005 by Daedalus3]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join