It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Universities be Named After People?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Harvard, and Yale: two great Scholastic Aptitude Test schools are named after John Harvard and Elihu Yale. Do people who attend these universities engage in Idol Worship? Apparently, the only way to become USA president now, or even to get a federal government job is to have attended John Harvard University, or Elihu Yale University. I would have much preferred to have attended USA University or World University.

Naturally, this line of reasoning applies to naming of religions, companies, power measurement units, energy measurement units, ...

I personally only worship the Holy Trinity.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I don't know the stories of these two particular universities, but usually these names are given to a large donor, or a founder, or (in the case of science, especially) the discoverer. Sometimes it is done as a memorial and sometimes as an honor, but I would certainly never consider it to be a form of idol worship.

A better example of possible idol worship to me can be found on the cover of celebrity rags like US Weekly or People, on newstands across the country.

new topics

join