It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An example of a Nation that knows how to help family

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Canada feels the pain of the Katrina Disaster as though it were a family member afflicted by a horrible illness. And we're helping behind the scenes and in front of the media. Here's some of the things Canada has been doing that you're possibly not aware of.

Two Canadian Search and Rescue choppers to stay in Boston area

Two Canadian Search and Rescue helicopters will stay in the Boston area until at least Friday.

The two Canadian choppers were sent to help the U.S. Coast Guard off Cape Cod because American officials sent most of their aircraft to the Gulf Coast area to assist with Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.
The above is commonplace apparently, with Canadian SAR / Coastguard craft taking up roles normally filled by US craft who have been sent to aid in the South.

Canada's TV services to carry Katrina telethon Friday night

Canada's four major TV broadcasters have announced they will all carry a 'live' one-hour concert to help raise funds for Hurricane Katrina victims.

The program: "Shelter From the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast" will be a special commercial-free simulcast on CBC TV, CTV, Global Television, and CHUM's A-Channel and Citytv stations on Friday Sept. 9 at 8 p.m. ET.

20,000 Canadian cots sent for hurricane relief

A convoy of 20 trucks left Montreal for Texas Tuesday, carrying 20,000 cots and blankets destined for the American Red Cross hurricane relief effort.

The Red Cross expects them to be dispatched to some of its 485 emergency shelters set up to accept more than 140,000 hurricane evacuees.

Canadian universities open doors to hurricane survivors

Canadian universities are opening their doors to American students affected by Hurricane Katrina.

The schools said they will admit undergraduates who were enrolled at Louisiana and Mississippi universities that have been closed indefinitely by flood damage. Up to 100,000 students have been displaced according to the Association of American Universities.

"If we can accommodate these students until [New Orleans'] Tulane is up and running, then we're happy to do so," said Jennifer Robinson of McGill University.

From Vancouver, B.C. to Chalmette, Louisiana - A Vancouver-based search and rescue team is back at home after a very intense time in southern Louisiana.

The 46-member Urban Search and Rescue Team were exhausted, but they had some results to show for their work: 119 people rescued.

Their efforts were appreciated.

"The president of (St. Bernard Parish) got up and hugged me when I came through the door," said Tim Armstrong, one of the team's leaders, upon arrival back home Tuesday. They had shipped out on Aug. 31 -- two days after Hurricane Katrina struck.

"They all started weeping, because we were the first sign of relief effort that came in there."

..."I went to the earthquake in Taiwan and I went to New York City after 9/11, and this is much worse than both of those," said team member Doug Smith, a 10-year veteran.
I've scuba'd with Tim and some of the SAR guys a number of years ago. A truely outstanding group of people who know how to live life to it's fullest!

If you are in Canada and you want to help, here's how!

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Let's not forget that all this is DESPITE the fact that the US has been screwing us around with thing like the Illegal softwood tarrifs, not paying their electric bill, and even twisting local authorities to bust a BC marajuna rights advocate/political leader for crimes that aren't even crimes here.

Despite the fact that the US has been NOTHING but a negitive impact on us and the rest of the world for the last 8 years.
Despite the fact that we are FED UP.

We still remember that there is a big differance between the nation and the people.
Screw America... let us help the Americans!!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser

Despite the fact that the US has been NOTHING but a negitive impact on us and the rest of the world for the last 8 years.

We still remember that there is a big differance between the nation and the people.

Excellent!! and also to state the obvious,other countries were blocked from helping the American People when the US Gov was doing nothing but screwing up.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by gps777]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
Let's not forget that all this is DESPITE the fact that the US has been screwing us around with thing like the Illegal softwood tarrifs, not paying their electric bill, and even twisting local authorities to bust a BC marajuna rights advocate/political leader for crimes that aren't even crimes here.

Throug thick and thin the canadian have alwas had our back. and wheever the need help of any kind u got it.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RaiderJose
Throug thick and thin the canadian have alwas had our back. and wheever the need help of any kind u got it.

Good to know the PEOPLE of the US still remember who their friends are.

We need your help right now, though.
This brewing trade war is not going to be a good thing. The softwood lumber terrifs have already smashed our ecconomy. My brother is out of work as a direct result.

What we need is for you folks to lean on your leaders over this. We need the US to abide by the rules THEY implemented, not to change them when it suits them better. We need an end to illegal Terrifs and we need atleast a token payment on the $5 billion owed to us in collected fees.

But most of all, we need you folks to keep remembering who your friends are and how to treat friends like friends!

Mynard said it best:

A PERFECT CIRCLE LYRICS

Fiddle And The Drum

[snip]

And so once again,
Oh, America my friend,
And so once again,
You are fighting us all,
And when we ask you why,
You raise your sticks and cry and we fall,
Oh, my friend,
How did you come,