It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Petition for Katrina Animal Rescue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Many of us in the U.S. are horrified that rescue workers in New Orleans are not allowing people to take their pets with them as they are being evacuated. Many people are refusing to leave without them, yet the rescue workers are under orders not to allow animals on the boats. People who have lost their possessions, homes, jobs and sometime loved ones are now being told they must lose this last thing precious to them by leaving their animals to die. Last night forum members at NOLA (New Orleans - Times Picyne Forum) started an online petition. It now has almost 15,000 signitures. You can help by signing at:
www.thepetitionsite.com...

This is a desperate struggle against time to try to persuade authorities that real compassion (not the pretend kind) is needed in this situation. please see:
press.arrivenet.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I just signed it. wow heart breaking that those dogs have to be left to die. One dog died clinging on to a plank too weak to climb on.

Pet owners nightmare come true.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Is this serious?

They barely have enough resources for people and you want them to use what they have on saving pets?

People were left in the city for five days with little or no food and water, and you're concerned about PETS?!

It is sad that they are not rescued, but how can you choose to feed animals when there are people who are starving and dying?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Apparently, allowing individuals to bring their animals when rescued is dependent on who is conducting the rescue and the circumstances (based on a CNN TV excerpt).

Also, there are some independent organizations attempting to rescue animals. Evacuees can call or email these organizations and they will attempt to rescue the animal. Visit PetFinder.org for more information on this service and others.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Priority #1, save human lives, sorry, even as a (5 dog, 8 cat, 2 ferret) owner, I can SEE that, if you are so desperately concerned about the pets in this situation, put down the pen and get in your car and rescue them yourself, obviously at this moment they are not on the top of the rescue radar.....

I can sign a piece of paper myself, being an animal lover, but I can grasp the enormity of this situation, and at this moment, making sure that every living person is rescued is the top priority...

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Why the hostility and the anger toward people who have enough sympathy in their hearts for pets as well as humans? It isn't one or the other you know. You CAN care and hope that both get rescued. I think the anger is misdirected at people who are feeling sorry for the dead and dying dogs. That anger should be targeted at the officials, government (local and national) FEMA, well the list goes on and on, who let so many people die and suffer.

Those are the people you should be angry at. No one is going to start rescuing animals and stop helping people. It took an act of supreme media intervention to get the powers that be to begin helping in earnest, so lay off the animal lovers.

The pets are suffering just like every one else. They are hungry, sad and scared and the owners must be missing them too. Part of being a so called superior species is having the heart and the compassion for your lesser creatures.

This is a GOOD thing.

I don't think anyone is advocating the saving of pets OVER humans. I for one would be devastated if my pet were in that situation. He is a member of my family.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by nikelbee
That anger should be targeted at the officials, government (local and national) FEMA, well the list goes on and on, who let so many people die and suffer.

People?, I thought this was about pets, anger? I am not angry, just confused that some would place their concern on the lives of pets while people may still be in harms way. By turning this into a government bashing tells me your real intentions....

It took an act of supreme media intervention to get the powers that be to begin helping in earnest, so lay off the animal lovers.

You are seriously misguided if you believe the "media" expedited the response to this storm.....

The pets are suffering just like every one else. They are hungry, sad and scared and the owners must be missing them too. Part of being a so called superior species is having the heart and the compassion for your lesser creatures.

You are finally correct in your post, yes I do feel for the pets that most likely will be lost but I understand the scope of this event and also understand that the pets are not the top priority, I was merely stating that if those petition signers were so concerned , they could drop the pen and go rescue the animals themselves.......

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   
good post mrtibbs , i used one of my votes for you

signed

new topics

top topics

join