It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Poised to Profit from Katrina: Halliburton, Houston Head the List

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I heard she wouldn't cave in negotiations to let FEMA walk in playing hardball from the get go. It's also coming out all over that the FEMA troops were all over New Orleans from early on - just doing nothing, except laughing at the victims.

Oh, no! Were her feelings hurt?
She should get prison time for her decision to play NIMBY while people died.

FEMA troops? Didn't know they existed. Anyway, the first FEMA personnel to reach NOLA were state FEMA, which puts it at Blanco's feet. And I doubt very much that they were laughing at the victims. That is just pure sensationalism from an unproven source.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
It's also coming out all over that the FEMA troops were all over New Orleans from early on - just doing nothing, except laughing at the victims.

Please provide your sources from "all over" that show them laughing at the victims. At them is bad, with them is good.

FEMA Troops
(sources for that too please)

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

FEMA troops? Didn't know they existed. Anyway, the first FEMA personnel to reach NOLA were state FEMA, which puts it at Blanco's feet. And I doubt very much that they were laughing at the victims. That is just pure sensationalism from an unproven source.

Not only that my friend, but the Louisiana branch of Homeland Security is also to blame for the slow response...and guess who is in charge of that branch of Homeland Security?....

Overview of States Homeland Security Governance
This analysis describes state homeland security organizational structures that governors established subsequent to September 11, 2001. Homeland security entities were created to ensure states are preparing for a wide range of terrorist attacks. They accomplish this by facilitating the
interaction and coordination needed among the governor’s office, the homeland security director, the state emergency management office, other state agencies, local governments, the private sector, volunteer organizations, and the federal government.

After September 11, governors designated individuals from various backgrounds in state government to serve as their state homeland security directors. There is no common model; however, in several states, the homeland security director serves as an advisor to the governor in
addition to coordinating state emergency management, law enforcement, health, and related public safety functions.

LOUISIANA
Homeland Security Web Site: www.loep.state.la.us...
Homeland Security Director: Major General Bennett C. Landreneau, Adjutant General and Director, Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness Organization: Louisiana Domestic Terrorism Advisory Committee, Office of the Governor
How Created: Executive Order No. MJF 2001-42; amended by Executive Order No. MJF 02-07
Composition: Deputy Secretary of Public Safety & Corrections, Public Safety Services, or the deputy secretary’s designee; Adjutant General of the Army National Guard or the TAG’s designee; Assistant Director of Emergency Preparedness, Military Department, Office of the Governor, or designee; Secretary of Agriculture and Forestry, or designee; Secretary of
Environmental Quality, or designee; Secretary of Health and Hospitals, or designee; Secretary of Transportation and Development, or designee; Secretary of Wildlife and Fisheries, or designee; President of the Sheriff’s Association, or designee; President of the Association of Chiefs of
Police, or designee; President of Fire Chiefs Association, or designee; President of the Louisiana Association of Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technicians, or designee; President of the Louisiana Emergency Preparedness Association, or designee; President of the Louisiana
Municipal Association, or designee; President of the Louisiana Police Jury Association, or designee; one (1) member of the Louisiana State Police Hazardous Materials Unit; Chair of the Louisiana Homeland Security Committee of the Louisiana House of Representatives, or designee;
one (1) sheriff representing one of Louisiana’s sixty-four parishes, or designee; one (1) at-large member representing local emergency management; one (1) at-large member representing local
public works departments; one (1) at-large member representing the Louisiana Chemical Association; one (1) at-large member who is an academic employee of a public university in the state; and one (1) at-large member who is an academic employee of a private university in the
state.
Mission: To provide for the homeland security and emergency preparedness of the state through awareness, prevention, preparedness, and mitigation programs and in the event of natural, manmade, or technological emergencies implement response and recovery programs. Public Health: www.loep.state.la.us...
Homeland Security Documents: Louisiana Homeland Security Advisory System; and Questions
for Vendors;

Excerpted from
www.nga.org...

Isn't it a lot better finding the truth as to who is to blame instead of spreading rumors and exagerations?

A very interesting excerpt from the Louisiana Homeland Security Website.

State Response

The Louisiana Senate and House of Representative’s Select Committees on Louisiana Homeland Security were created to provide legislative leadership and assistance in the coordination of state efforts to secure the state of Louisiana from terrorist threats and attacks. These committees, together with the Governor’s Office, are committed and privileged to serve the citizens of this great state in this vital task of assuring a safe and secure environment.

Excerpted from
www.loep.state.la.us...

[edit on 11-9-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Yes they are but do you know that. . . that branch was formed in 2002 just in time to take over the contracts awarded by the government in regards to Iraq?

Until then they were mainly an Oil drilling company and littler by lttler they bought other companies through the years thanks to the Carlyle group ties.

All the information on their historical development is in their main site.

Haliburton and KBR merged in 1988 and KBR has been performing JOC from that time so your statement is wrong.

www.halliburton.com...

Also KBR has been working for many goverments since the 30s

www.halliburton.com...
KBR has been performing logistics management services since the 1930s

[edit on 9/11/2005 by shots]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Ahhh, the old 'your sources suck' gambit.

FYI - It ain't hard to re-write history when you own the website.

For those who can't remember what happened yesterday, never mind last week - ATS is a wonderful source - just run a search to see what's been reported, and talked about.

Also, the memoryhole is a GREAT source too.

And a plug - there are 2 versions of this podcast posted - one of them is chopped in half, ...? (Must be a conspiracy.
Hear the complete file here:

Oh New Orleans
www.podtrac.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Ahhh, the old 'your sources suck' gambit.

No sofi, is the old, "soficrow is at it again" spreading rumors and exagerations as if they were true. It is not the first time that you overeact and claim that rumors are true....

FYI - It ain't hard to re-write history when you own the website.

You seem to be doing that pretty good....

For those who can't remember what happened yesterday, never mind last week - ATS is a wonderful source - just run a search to see what's been reported, and talked about.

Care to tell us what happened yesterday?....

Also, the memoryhole is a GREAT source too.

And a plug - there are 2 versions of this podcast posted - one of them is chopped in half, ...? (Must be a conspiracy.
Hear the complete file here:

Oh New Orleans
www.podtrac.com...

What in the world is that recording about?...... I had to stop it after one minute of trying to listen to it.....

My suspicion has been confirmed by that recording......

[edit on 11-9-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I can always tewll when I'm onto something good - the ats crowd control sheriffs converge en masse, with drivel and distracting tasks.

FYI - the original article above has 7 sources in the body of the text, including publications like the Houston Business Journal - there are seven additional references.

May I suggest actually clicking on the links?

Mauddib - I am not surprised that you do not get the podcast. Don't try. It might hurt.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   

You are the one laughing?..... You are really out your mind soficrow, and that podcast of yours confirmed my suspicions.....

It is out in the open now soficrow...so keep laughing....it shows even more your state of mind....

I can always tewll when I'm onto something good - the ats crowd control sheriffs converge en masse, with drivel and distracting tasks.

No soficrow, you always do the same, you put in some legitimate links, then you change the conclusion adding some rumors and exagerations as to what is happening to fit your dellusional paranoia, and proclaim to all that you are right.... Several times you have been called on it even by other members, and several times it has been shown that most of the rumors you try to keep spreading were already debunked in these forums.

FYI - the original article above has 7 sources in the body of the text, including publications like the Houston Business Journal - there are seven additional references.

And i posted original links to who is in charge of Lousiana and who is to blame if they are not ready to evacuate and help citizens when a natural, or man made disaster strikes the state as hurricane Katrina did.

May I suggest actually clicking on the links?

Some of the links are real, then you put in other links with rumors that have not been confirmed and then you put the links with sensational titles to make it sound as if we are in a dictatorsip in the US.

Your game has not changed since you started posting in these forums....

BTW....weren't you one of those people who kept claiming that those who were in the former administration are not in charge now, and that the ones that should be blamed are the ones in power now?.... You are not changing your mind once again to further your agenda again are you?....

Mauddib - I am not surprised that you do not get the podcast. Don't try. It might hurt.

I don't need to try it soficrow, I can see what state of mind the person that made that "recording" has.....

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
For those who are wondering, this is what Mauddib's on about:

Oh New Orleans
www.podtrac.com...

I am Conspiracy

I will hold you, and stroke you
I will touch you

Kiss your secret places

I will take your mind in my mouth
And promise you release

You will come with me
And I will show you soft, and shiny sparkly wondrous things

And give you hope

And you will follow

And I will suck the life from your bones.

You fool.

I am conspiracy.

I will sit back and do nothing
Even though I am paid to act.

I will let your home - your family - and your community
Be destroyed
Even though I could stop it.

I will say your home is poisoned
And throw you out in the street
with nothin
but debt

Then - I will give you a cot - in a place with locked doors
And I will take your land for next to nothing
And say I'm bein' generous.

I will give your land to my friends
And let them profit
Where you did not.

I WILL take your home - your job - your life
Then indenture you
And sell your labor to my friends at cut rates

And I WILL make everyone BELIEVE
that you are
Lucky to have the work.

I am CONspiracy

I am Conspiracy

I will hold you, and stroke you
I will touch you

Kiss your secret places

I will take your mind in my mouth
And promise you release

You will come with me
And I will show you soft, and shiny sparkly wondrous things

And give you hope

And you will follow

And I will suck the life from your bones.

I am Conspiracy

Feel me
Feel my passage move the air

Know me
Like the hunting wolf knows the breathing earth
Fear me
Like the timid rabbit fears the shadow of the hawk

Know me - know me
Know me
By my shadows
And the ripples in the waters

Know too that without a hundred senses - you can't know me

I am your fantasy
Changeable
Seductive

I dance in the shadows
And hide in plain sight

Ya gotta get some
Ya gotta gotta gotta gotta get some
Ya gotta get some information
Ya gotta find out

Ya gotta get some
Ya gotta gotta gotta gotta get some
Ya gotta get some information
Ya gotta wake up

Ya gotta THINK.

- soficrow

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
the story the press is hiding....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Good find psychomike - FYI - New Orleans has a long history of corruption - this article has a good overview (I clipped the end, but there's more that crosses party, city, state, and federal lines.):

While FEMA and others warned of the urgent impending danger to New Orleans and put forward proposals for funding to reinforce and protect the city, the Bush administration, in every year since 2001, has cut or refused to fund New Orleans flood control, and ignored scientists warnings of increased hurricanes as a result of global warming. And, as the dangers rose with the floodlines, the lack of coordinated response dramatized vividly the callous disregard of our elected leaders.

Notes From Inside New Orleans

You may also find some good info and references here:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Good find psychomike - FYI - New Orleans has a long history of corruption - this article has a good overview (I clipped the end, but there's more that crosses party, city, state, and federal lines.):

Soficrow, that link and story that psychomike gave corroborates what I was saying.

As to the funding that was cut since 2001, perhaps you should remember a terrorist attack which happened back in 2001 in the US, and which has been a priority....

Yes, we are going through a climate change, there isn't much we can do about that except if people start leaving coastal areas, and I don't think most would do that except when disasters like the one that hit NO occur to them, and even then many won't want to leave.

The problem and blame for what happened to people in NO not recieving the help they needed on time, and not being evacuated like they should have been, lies on the Mayor of NO and the Governor of Lousiana for not doing their job properly.

[edit on 12-9-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Notes From Inside New Orleans

You may also find some good info and references here:

Mauddib - my article above, and the links I've provided, corroborate the charge that there is a history to corruption centered in New Orleans - and that history crosses party, city, state, and federal lines. The reason for this is that New Orleans is a "plum" - it is the most important port in the USA because of its geographical location, for cheap shipping inland.

This thread is specifically about who is positioned to profit from Katrina, now, and also, about when those players started getting into position.

When I wrote the article, I thought the vultures were gathering rather quickly. Now, I think the situation was manipulated to further corporate economic ends, and to allow the "re-making" of New Orleans into something more profitable, and used as an opportunity to get rid of the poor, and low income landowners who were "in the way."

If you have been paying attention, you know that the responsibility - and blame - is spread MUCH more widely than the city and state governments.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Halliburton was established in 1919 as a drilling company. The construction part of it was bought along with another drilling company later on.

Major purchases include Brown & Root, engineering and Construction Company, in 1962 and Dresser Industries, a major provider of integrated services and project management for the oil industry, in 1998. Dresser had acquired M.W. Kellogg, a leader in petroleum refining and petrochemical processing, technology, engineering and construction, in 1988.

But . . . just before the awarded contracts to Iraq it . . . became an independent construction company Halliburton energy to deal with its intended Oil drilling and KBR to deal with construction...

In March 2002, Halliburton announced plans to separate our business groups into two wholly-owned operating subsidiaries: Halliburton's Energy Services Group, and KBR, the engineering and construction group.

What does that means? Well it was more power play in regular circumstances . . . but with the contracts coming to them from the government it means that they could absorbed more tax payer money to help with all the needs in Iraq without any competition under the name of "awarded contracts"

Under this structure, these two companies can better strengthen their business lines and compete effectively on a global basis. This, in turn, enhances Halliburton's ability to achieve long-term sustained growth and profitability.

What does this two multibillion dollar companies that work together have? Well is has been documented and under scrutiny through congressional investigations that they have been steeling from the tax payer money in awarded contracts by the government overcharging and wasting money, most of the money is not even accounted for.

But at the same time having your former CEO as a VP has been good enough for them and nothing has been done to their mishandling of money, Tax payer money to pay for reconstruction and maintenance of the troops in Iraq in defense budget awarded contracts.

And they are the favorite company by our government to keep stealing from the tax payer money in awarded contracts because is not competition.

Yes they are as crocked as the people that support them in the government.

www.halliburton.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Marg use your head for a bit here. If anyone could prove Halliburton or KBR were stealing money or committing fraud or committing malfeaseance of any description relative to their government contracts in Iraq the press and congress would hang the company out to dry. So many people have cried foul over the initial non-competitive award of those contracts the target presented by a non performing or illegally performing contractor like KBR would simply be to tempting to pass up. The democrats in particular would roast them until they were beyond well cooked. However, no one has yet been able to do so--not because of protection from the Bush administration, but because the information available on those contracts just doesn't support the allegations being made about them.

[edit on 15-9-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Marg use your head for a bit here.

As your attorney I advise you to take your own advice.
j/k

If anyone could prove Halliburton or KBR were stealing money or committing fraud or committing malfeaseance of any description relative to their government contracts in Iraq the press and congress would hang the company out to dry.

Unless of course the Democrats were complicit, which they were, and the press was stifled by corporate allegiances, which they were. Hmmm...

The democrats in particular would roast them until they were beyond well cooked.

The two party system is really not living up to its advertising. The truth is, it's a one party system that's two faced.

However, no one has yet been able to do so--not because of protection from the Bush administration, but because the information available on those contracts just doesn't support the allegations being made about them.

Nobody has been able to nail these bastards because everybody is friendly with them, or afraid of them. It has nothing to do with a lack of evidence, as far as I know. The evidence ABOUNDS, search ATS for a plethora of sordid details.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Haliburton bad deals.

Haliburton and subsidiaries have a way to get away from government probing, due to the fact that they are favor by our administration, taken in consideration that the VP of the nation was a former CEO, it gives you a big room for espectulations.

Investigations and Audits

Is no doubt that Haliburtion dealings are an ongoing struggle to bring the companies various illegal dealings. But while they are investigated they are still been favor over any other companies when it comes to the government favoritism.

In December 2003, a DCAA draft audit reported that Halliburton
overcharged the Defense Department by $61 million

On December 31, 2003, a DCAA "Flash Report" audit found "significant" and "systemic" deficiencies in the way Halliburton estimates and validates costs $2.7 billion.

On January 13, 2004, DCAA concluded that Halliburton's deficiencies "bring into question [Halliburton's] ability to consistently produce well-supported proposals that are acceptable as a basis for negotiation of fair and reasonable prices

In a May 13, 2004, audit, DCAA reported "several deficiencies" in Halliburton's billing system that resulted in billings to the government that "

On June 25, 2004, the CPA IG found that, as a result of poor oversight, Halliburton charged U. S. taxpayers.

A July 26, 2004, CPA IG audit report found that Halliburton "did not effectively manage government property". $18.6 million.

In July 2004, GAO found ineffective planning, inadequate cost control.

In an August 16, 2004, memorandum, DCAA "identified significant unsupported costs. $1.82 billion.

On November 23, 2004, the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction examined a $569 million and found that Halliburton "did not provide . . . sufficiently detailed cost data.

www.halliburtonwatch.org...

Why did this company get away with so much? Ask Dick Cheney.

By the way I DO use my head very well thank you.

The latest

Ongoing Investigations Into Haliburton as of April 2005

The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is investigating allegations by an Army official claiming that the Army Corp of Engineers illegally excluded Halliburton’s competitors from bidding on Iraq contracts.Bunnatine Greenhouse, an Army whistleblower, says the line between government officials and Halliburton had become so blurred that a conflict of interest exists.The conduct appears to have violated specific federal contract-related regulations and calls into question the independence of the contracting process.

www.corpwatch.org...

[edit on 15-9-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Why did this company get away with so much? Ask Dick Cheney.

By the way I DO use my head very well thank you.

Marg do you ever follow up on the allegations made by your clearly biased source? I doubt it. Here is one good example they never reported after the fact; all they did was leave their original contention that Halliburton was guilty when it was not Halliburton, it was employees of Halliburton and they were dealt with accordingly by the company as they should have been.

Halliburton has fired employees who allegedly took kickbacks from a Kuwaiti subcontractor helping to supply U.S. troops in Iraq, the company said.

Spokeswoman Wendy Hall said Friday the company reported the "irregularities" to Pentagon auditors and criminal investigators.

"We found it quickly, and we immediately reported it," Hall said in a statement. "We do not tolerate this kind of behavior by anyone at any level in any Halliburton company."
Halliburton In Iraq Kickback Flap

Why is it you never follow up and get the whole truth?

[edit on 9/15/2005 by shots]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
... it was not Halliburton, it was employees of Halliburton and they were dealt with accordingly by the company as they should have been.

Halliburton has fired employees who allegedly took kickbacks from a Kuwaiti subcontractor helping to supply U.S. troops in Iraq, the company said.

And there you have it! No scapegoating here!

Spokeswoman Wendy Hall said Friday the company reported the "irregularities" to Pentagon auditors and criminal investigators.

"We found it quickly, and we immediately reported it," Hall said in a statement. "We do not tolerate this kind of behavior by anyone at any level in any Halliburton company."

x 2. They investigated, reported, and fired the guilty parties IMMEDIATELY AFTER formal charges were laid. Now that's quick!

Why is it you never follow up and get the whole truth?

[edit on 9/15/2005 by shots]

I think she's leaving that to you, shots, and just relying on her brains and good old common sense instead of regurgitating the spin, which you seem to be doing quite well. No need for such far-reaching redundancy, IMO.

[edit on 15-9-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Reading this, so far it's Pro-People/Anti Haliburton providing links to Haliburton Evil/Political Corruption of the republicans.

So far it's Anti-People/Pro-Haliburton people SAYING they aren't evil, they just stole several billion dollars from the tax payers.

I hope in the 06 election the third parties will win, since the Senate is currently 100 republicans, 9 SC republican judges(well 8 since one seat hasn't been replaced) and the house is all republicans. Democrats is just another word for poor republican.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join