It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Poised to Profit from Katrina: Halliburton, Houston Head the List

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by soficrow
On the other hand - YOU, and the President - are worried about hurricane survivors making off with salvage - and call scavenging a water-logged electronically challenged TV a major crime....

But misplacing a few 10's of millions of dollars here and there - that's okay. Gotcha, Fred.

You're changing subject, soficrow,

No, I'm dead on the subject: Fred was justifying the disappearance of 10's of millions of dollars in Halliburton's contract, but earlier insisted that the theft of a TV was unconscionable. ...I was pointing out the inconsistencies in his stated ethics.

What justification do you have for your continuous lies?

What lies, Grady? I back up all my statements with links and documentation - and make it quite obvious when I'm stating an opinion.

Creative writing credits at Communist Martyrs High School?

I'm an anarchist who recognizes that sometimes people need to team it to level the playing field. Don't believe in Communism OR Capitalism - think they're the same thing.

[edit on 7-9-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The personal attacks will cease.
Please stay on topic.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The difference is Haliburton is rich white republican men, the NO deal was poor black democrats. So a few million dollars is no big deal, as long as they are for Bush.

Been reading all the different posts on PTS, you can tell who thinks for themselves and who are mindless sheep. SOme like Thomas Crowne or Amuk or KrazyJethro use their brains, their hearts, and their common sense. Others, well, consider anything on Fox News to be 100% written in stone so if it says this was Bill CLinton's fault it must be, even if he wasn't in power, or that Bush cut a quarter billion dollars from the Levee/dam/pump program in NO, which then ended up in Haliburton's bank account.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I'm an anarchist who recognizes that sometimes people need to team it to level the playing field. Don't believe in Communism OR Capitalism - think they're the same thing.

[edit on 7-9-2005 by soficrow]

Well, no wonder you loved the anarchy in New Orleans. Too bad you weren't there. When all the hard working people have had their last goods stolen and lie dead, you anarchists can starve after eating one another.

[edit on 2005/9/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Well, no wonder you loved the anarchy in New Orleans.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself.

When all the hard working people have had their last goods stolen and lie dead, you anarchists can starve after eating one another.

I figure the big boys will be munching on our bones LONG before that even comes close to happening.

BTW - In case you haven't noticed, it's corporations like Halliburton that are stealing the peoples' last goods AND lives.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Businesses like Halliburton hire thousands of people who aren't afraid to bust a sweat and live in the real world and who contribute more to this world than a billion anarchist and don't tell me what to write. Someone needs to get to the heart of your ghastly effluvium.

[edit on 2005/9/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Businesses like Halliburton ...

...Rip off taxpayers for 10's of millions of dollars at a shot - and then, are defended by government hacks.

Present company excluded, of course.

EDIT - and that's it for me. 'Night Grady. Sweet dreams.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Soficrow - I read Valhall's excellent first hand report of the FEMA camp being set up in Oklahoma and I have to say something doesn't sound right about everything she reported. There just has to be more to the story there than she reported.

I know down in Lubbock, TX where several thousand disaster victims were sent to an Air Force Base, it would have been very easy to restrict them to that base, but they did not. In fact, about 30-40% of the people who came there have already gotten jobs in the local area and plan to stay. The same report is coming in from Big Spring, TX; victims arrive, they look around, find jobs and seem relatively content and don't plan on returning to the NO area. That is what I hear is going on all over Texas, so Val's report on the FEMA camp in Oklahoma just doesn't seem to fit in with what I know to be happening here in West Texas.

As far as Halliburton goes, Brown & Root construction has been a big player internationally for many, many years. Halliburton bought them because of their overseas expertise and the fact Halliburton was expanding their oil operation overseas. I'll admit they seem damn well connected politically--and that connection goes back to Lyndon Johnson's days, but I haven't seen any gross violations of contract by the company. They do what they are paid to do and by & large, they do it damn well.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
Soficrow - I read Valhall's excellent first hand report of the FEMA camp being set up in Oklahoma and I have to say something doesn't sound right about everything she reported. There just has to be more to the story there than she reported.

Hey astronomer - A major factor being Texas is just raking it in on Katrina - businesses relocating in Houstn - major federal grants for "labor" and more. ...Texas can afford to be a bit generous with the refugees. But wait til the spotlight's off and the government cash is all gone - then see what happens.

...Valhall's report is reliable, IMO. Also, the camp in Oklahoma is out in the boonies, so authorities may feel they're out of the spotlight and act accordingly.

As far as Halliburton goes, Brown & Root construction has been a big player internationally for many, many years. Halliburton bought them because of their overseas expertise and the fact Halliburton was expanding their oil operation overseas.

Uh huh - and expanded straight out of oil into all kinds of construction stuff dating all the way back to 2001, was it, just before they scooped all the Iraq contracts?

They do what they are paid to do and by & large, they do it damn well.

While misplacing a few 10's of millions of dollars here and there...

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jestaman
Others, well, consider anything on Fox News to be 100% written in stone so if it says this was Bill CLinton's fault it must be, even if he wasn't in power, or that Bush cut a quarter billion dollars from the Levee/dam/pump program in NO, which then ended up in Haliburton's bank account.

I suggest you do a little research on the various NO levee commissions--yep, plural as there is a commission for each of them. All the commissioners get paid for being on the commissions too. A scruitny of the record will turn up some interesting information. I recall one story about $78 million that was earmarked for levee improvements. Of than money, some was use to build a court house, some to build/repair a fountain, some to pay the commissioners. Only about 2 million ever found its way into levee improvements. If you want to look for graft & corruption, I suggest you look at the state of Louisiana and the city of New Orleans.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   

[
...Valhall's report is reliable, IMO. Also, the camp in Oklahoma is out in the boonies, so authorities may feel they're out of the spotlight and act accordingly.

I don't discount Val's report, she has proven to be pretty reliable & honest and I tend to trust what she says--that's why I think there has to be more to the story than she saw/reported.

You may be right about Texas's response being tied to money flowing in to the state to help. I'm sure to some extent that is the case, but still, what I said about jobs, staying here, etc. is the truth.

Uh huh - and expanded straight out of oil into all kinds of construction stuff dating all the way back to 2001, was it, just before they scooped all the Iraq contracts?

While misplacing a few 10's of millions of dollars here and there...

I don't know about the first part of the above, but as to misplacing a few 10's of millions of dollars, consider the overall amount of the contract and you'll see that you are talking about way less than 1% of the contract. I didn't say they were perfect, but you are still talking about a pretty efficient group, even if they have misplaced that much money. One thing U.S. contractors are forbidden from doing, but which gets done anyway, is paying off locals just so the work can proceed. Graft & corruption overseas is a well entrenched, traditional way of things and just because congress doesn't like it--because, lets face it, it's bribery--doesn't mean it doesn't happen on a routine basis. I'm pretty sure no one will ever trace the "misplaced" millions to such payoffs, but I'de be willing to bet that's where most of it went.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Eye Witness Report: FEMA Detainment Camp

Soficrow, you do tend to exagerate things and blame the government for anything and everything. Read the reports from that link you gave again. People can get out, but they can't get back in probably because of safety concerns.... That's no "detainment camp."

A. I am not twisting anything(?) -

You do tend to do so soficrow.

B. ..........
Nor do I make charges without documentation.

Ok, if you have documentation and proof where did all this money go to? Show it with the proof please. Like bank accounts where we can see where the money went to, etc, etc.

Grady - I know you are not well. But you are way out of line here. ...I obviously pressed some button - and I wonder what the real issue is for you with what I have said.

I can't speak for Grady, but soficrow, i am also another of those members who likes to see the truth, not rumors, and certainly no exagerations. You always make your threats political tools against the current administration, and that is no lie soficrow.

BTW....for the 100th time, because I almost certain you would try to imply that I am a government agent again.... I am only a field engineer working for a french company, never worked for the CIA or any of the other three letter agencies, except the DOD because everyone that has been in the military works/worked for the DOD, and I left the military back in 1998.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
why the hell doesn't this surprise me. They kind of remind me of ambulance chasers but with less scrupples. Oh yes and of course just by coindence the are cheney the dick's "old" company. How convient.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Still funny, black guy with broken TV, "Shoot him on sight!!!" Rich white guys steal millions.... "Oh well, let the poor eat cake if they don't have any bread."

Mmmmm, chocolate cake, with ice cream on top. Dang it now I want chocolate, to early(8:30) for chocolate.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Grady let me clarify something here if I may, the death in NO after the hurricane was not due to looting and killing but from lack of help or late help by the authorities in charge including the Federal Government,.

Most of the people that died were poor black, elderly or very young, sick or with some help related problems.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The government of the US of American is run by special interest groups; they favor each other in a false sense of free enterprise and Capitalism.

But do we have “Free enterprise” well lets see our country is run by people that have links to big corporations making better for them to control the money of the country.

Is not such thing as “competition” because the littler people can not compete with the monopoly that is our government.

US used to be the land of opportunity but now is the land of the elite few and the privilege. Unless you win the lotto or make your business in the low end of the bargain you are ok, but you will never be able to compete with the Haliburtons or Cheney.

Because they are the government.

The job of the government used to be run for the benefit of the country but now, its corporate power what it runs it, and they don’t give a darn about the people and they don’t care about them.

What they are good at is to give a front of caring conservatives that are only protecting the rights of fetuses and the keeping the gays from getting married legally, meanwhile, privacy rights, worker’s rights and turning the country into a fundamentalist theocracy is what they are working on while in the background the CEOs take advantage of their monopolies and get fatter with profiting from the American people.

The reason things went so bad in the south after the hurricane was due to nothing more that the ineptitude of our government that has done a great job of blaming liberalism for all the evils of the nation while robbing the nation from needed money to keep the infrastructure up to day.

Now we have to deal with a government that seems to be very good at using billions of tax payer money to have corporations like Halliburton doing the reconstruction of a country devastated by a war that our own government created while we the states have to scrap for money to keep their cities in shape.

The wish of many has come true, our government has almost been abolish and taken over by interest, and special groups, and drowned down the toilet.

While in NO the thousands of people than die by drowning also were “Mostly” Democrats, black and poor.

I don’t blame Mr. Bush for all of it, after all he is just following the legacy of Reagan and his father it has taken 25 years of bad government to get to the point we are right now.

Meanwhile corporations runs from pensions, to protection, environmental needs and toxics, they tell the government what and how Americans has to live their lives and what to get paid for their mistakes in compensations, they chose the doctors we see and what medicines we take.

Yes our country is run by anybody with corporate power.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ew! Those horrid capitalists, making a profit off of the work they do! And expecting to be paid for stuff that the government should just TAKE from them.

maybe soficrow can tell us why there aren't more companies willing to do reconstruction work and lose money while they do it.

If not Halliburton, who should get the contracts? KB&R has the expertise in moving mammoth amounts of hydraulic concrete. But we shouldn't use them, because they are an american company, right???

We should use CEMEX or BOUYGUES and get ripped off by a Mexican or French multinational, right? It's OK for Bouygues to manipulate the world trade organization, or CEMEX to rip off the UN on a few construction jobs, because the only companies you care to crucify are the American ones.

I'll tell you why im/export business has been moving from New Orleans to Houston over the last decade. It has nothing to do with racism, since Houston has more and different minorities than Nawlins has people of all stripes.

One big reason is the Pilot's Union in the Port of New Orleans often charges between 4 AND 10 times as much to dock your vessel than Bolivar or Barbour's Cut do.

And for 10,000 US, you can lade at Barbour's Cut, and put the stuff on rails to New Orleans, and STILL spend less than it costs to get to a berth in New Orleans.

The Port of Houston has continually improved its facilities, and began doing so as far back as the 1890's, when the people of Houston paid for it themselves, without govt. funding. Houston is the largest port in the US, in terms of Container Units handled per second, and is only getting more so.

New Olreans has had a reputation for a greedy and corrupt government; and that reputation has been driving business away since Huey Long was weaned.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Ew! Those horrid capitalists, making a profit off of the work they do! And expecting to be paid for stuff that the government should just TAKE from them.

Specially if Cheney is part of it. Right?

maybe soficrow can tell us why there aren't more companies willing to do reconstruction work and lose money while they do it.

Because is not competition, mama and papa company can not compete with monopolies, backed by the government and in the government.

If not Halliburton, who should get the contracts? KB&R has the expertise in moving mammoth amounts of hydraulic concrete. But we shouldn't use them, because they are an American company, right???

Exactly no competition so who else. . . they have made sure that IS not competition.

We should use CEMEX or BOUYGUES and get ripped off by a Mexican or French multinational, right? It's OK for Bouygues to manipulate the world trade organization, or CEMEX to rip off the UN on a few construction jobs, because the only companies you care to crucify are the American ones.

By mexicans? not wonder they are coming in hordes through the border the prefer to work for "Honest" companies like . . .hum yeah, Haliburton.

You are right we don't need stinky companies from other countries to ripped us off we have our on monopolies to do that here in American and America base.

I'll tell you why im/export business has been moving from New Orleans to Houston over the last decade. It has nothing to do with racism, since Houston has more and different minorities than Nawlins has people of all stripes.

Occurs they have that is where the money is. . . who wants a mostly poor black city like New Orleans when Texas is full of good corporates leadership.

One big reason is the Pilot's Union in the Port of New Orleans often charges between 4 AND 10 times as much to dock your vessel than Bolivar or Barbour's Cut do.

And for 10,000 US, you can lade at Barbour's Cut, and put the stuff on rails to New Orleans, and STILL spend less than it costs to get to a berth in New Orleans.

That is because is not control and everybody that has the means like corporate groups are free to do what they do best.

The Port of Houston has continually improved its facilities, and began doing so as far back as the 1890's, when the people of Houston paid for it themselves, without govt. funding. Houston is the largest port in the US, in terms of Container Units handled per second, and is only getting more so.

Occurs they had that is where the money comes from.

New Olreans has had a reputation for a greedy and corrupt government; and that reputation has been driving business away since Huey Long was weaned.

Oh, please. . . and so every other city in the US.

Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal and Louisiana Gov. Huey Long's ambitious populist reforms in the 1930s eased Louisiana out of feudalism and toward modernity.

But the Reagan revolution and the administration of both Bush has made Louisiana go back in time. Lets blame it on the corruption of the governments.

The improvements on the levees in recent years in NO was put to a stand still because Iraq and the war was more important than the congressional approval to take care of Louisiana infrastructure.

But is OK, Mr. Cheney has been appointed by Mr. Bush to seek the reconstruction of the city. . . I tell you Louisiana can’t not ask for better VP. He,he,

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
You show me a "mom & pop" company that will deliver a half million yards of hydraulic cement, to new orleans before Christmas, and I'd think you might have an argument.

The Port of Houston is more competitive because Houstonians are rich????

Houston has only existed since the 1840's. New Orleans was founded more than a century earlier (1718), and was much more densely populated right up to World War Two. If they are no longer the South's leading city, it might be due to something other than republicans, since as how both states were dyed-in-the-wool democrat enclaves until Reagan.

And just exactly how did Louisiana take a huge step backward in the Reagan Era? By New Orleans voting in a succession of Black mayors? By having blacks hold many key offices in the state? Is that a step backward??

The Democrats RESISTED desegregation in the 50's in the south. IT WAS A REPUBLICAN, Eisenhower, who began forced desegregation of public schools.

What's so wrong with Houston, anyways? It is one of the most liberal cities in Texas. But maybe you just hate a whole state without ever really knowing it. . . .

And funny that we're talking about Huey Long and feudalism.

See the book "Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi flood of 1927 and how it changed America," by John M. Barry.

It tells how Huey Long siphoned money off of the rebuilding programs to pad his states coffers, as well as build a huge monstrosity of a Statehouse in Baton Rouge.

Look! Another democrat wallowing in corruption and racism, and using it to drive competitive businesses out of the state!

Like I said, your main goal here is to somehow hate on republicans, business-people, texans, anglos and America in general, in that approximate order.

So, thumbs up for doing so. Too bad you have to imagine a fantasy world so that you can accuse the targets of your hate of everything you wish they were guilty of.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Look! Another democrat wallowing in corruption and racism, and using it to drive competitive businesses out of the state!

NO. . .they are "liberals" evil "liberals" right?

Like I said, your main goal here is to somehow hate on republicans, business-people, texans, anglos and America in general, in that approximate order.

Well is nice to see such an intelligent person as yourself telling me what my goals are, after all I am nothing but a "Evil liberal" right?

My, oh, my and your also point out hat I am what!!!!!! a "Hate Republicans, business what!!!!! hate anglos and every American?

I see now where the hates comes from, hum . . . I am a racist now!!!!

Well I am Spanish not mexican but nerveless Spanish, so that makes me a Republican, anglo and American hater?

Be careful what you said. . . you are tagging me.

So, thumbs up for doing so. Too bad you have to imagine a fantasy world so that you can accuse the targets of your hate of everything you wish they were guilty of.

Thanks for the thumbs all and I see how well you have express my nature in your fantasy mind I am pure evil.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the Truth about the government is not my imagination and neither my fantastic mind doing the deed, is all there in front of your eyes to see.

I guess it has not change a bit, if your are against the government doing business with tax payer dollars, or against the present administration now your are:

Racist, delusional, anti American, un patriotic, and I should go back were I came from.

Taking in consideration that most of us came from somewhere I guess US should be given back to its rightful owners the native American.

So all of us should go back where we came from.

Yes hate is a powerful tool.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join