It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very Very Strange Sleep Paralysis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Hi, I don't often post on this forum, but I just had some weird *stuff happen to me and it really freaked me out. If anyone could provide me with some answers, a hypothesis, or even insane ramble, it would be great.
Well, here's my story:
I get Sleep paralysis on a very regular basis (usually at least 3-4 times a week) and it does not really bother me any more. I found a nice technique (from this board actually) to get out of it real quick by moving your thumbs then hand then whole body. However, about 5-10 minutes ago I was dreaming, it was just like I was moving along a bunch of different colored dots. I came to one of the dots and focused on it intensely, after which it disappeared. After that I heard a bunch of whispers in the background, then found myself paralyzed. Up to this point I felt that none of this was strange, because I get sleep paralysis so often, but then some really weird crap started happening. Usually when I get sleep paralysis I "wake up" in my room. This time, I woke up in pitch dark. I first tried to move my head up slightly. When I did this, I heard a strange mechanical like sound that was almost like an error message. I can't think of a word for the sound, but immediately after that I breifly saw a white light go up and down in front of my eyes. At no time did I have an intense fear or dread that many people report having along with sleep paralysis, although I am very used to SP in general and that may account for why I didn't feel any fear/dread. After that I tried getting out by moving my thumbs, then hands, then arms etc. Once I got to my arms, I heard the same mechanical "error message" sound and found myself being forced in the position I started with. After trying this again with the same result, I gave up and tried to go to sleep. Once I tried to go to sleep, I immediately woke up in a much more calm manner than you would expect. So, I was wondering: WTF WAS THAT???? ALIENS?? WTF??? WTF??? AM I GOING SCHITZO?? WTF?
So, what do all of you think? wtf was that? all answers are greatly appreciated

*mod edit, circumventing censors

[edit on 7-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Heavy

It's getting late so I'm going to pathetically attempt to illustrate an idea regarding this. Ive had sleep paralysis from time to time with strange experience. Perhaps your body doesn’t really go any where; however your mind reaches a state in which the electrochemical activity is able to tape into another reality, kind of acting like a receiver and transmitter. Within this reality perhaps beings exist that we can not normally perceive, accept in this altered state. With in this frequency of egistance these beings exist naturally, ha they might be as confused about us as we are about UFO’s. Humans perception limited to a few senses which are quite weak by the rest of the animal kindom standards. Further many physicist talk of dark matter but also dark energy and multiple dementions. I really didn’t explain this idea very well, its kind of regurgitated from my own an others I’ve read, time for bed.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Weeee, I never heard of that, but have you check your Tiroid recently? Is just a thought, I had something similar for several months before they fix me with T4. I had to leave some classes in the faculty because once I woke up I couldnt move, no way, I was paralized and period. Is just a thought.
Also, if it is paranormal, perhaps you are seeing similar whites lights I see before visions? Funny, after the small lights and dark mist I get breaf images.
But seriously, I always go to the doctor before saying I have something
Hope this helps, also, try not being afraid, the more fear the worst, of course is not that easy (I know)

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
maybe your just dreaming

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Dreaming? no. As pretty much anyone who has had sleep paralysis can tell you, during the experience you are completely lucid, it seems no different than reality. Also, when you dream you usually have random sensations. The sensations that I had with the mechanical sound/being forced back into the same position i was laying in when I tried to move were not random, but seemed to be conditional upon me trying to break the paralysis.

[edit on 7-9-2005 by RobotAlligator]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
RA:

What you are experiencing is the "twilight zone". It's a state where you your "soul" is awake and your body hasn't caught up yet.

I have the same every now and then. The voices you hear are probably guides of some type.

When I used to have this quite often, I used to hear about 10 people talking about me and my spiritual path. I couldn't talk or move - the only way you can communicate is by thought.

Cheers

JS

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I use to get sleep paralysis big time almost every night. I had all the classic symptoms. (Could not move, awaking struggle, REM, drifting, dark figure/presence, drained feeling the next day, strange humming sounds, FEAR.) I changed one thing in my life and now I have not experienced it once in over a year.

What was it that I changed? Well let me tell you; I was a huge online video game player some times playing up until I would go to bed. I have all but stopped playing video games up until a few hours before going to bed now. Those few hours; one hour at the most has made a huge difference in my sleep and energy levels for the next day.

It seems to me now looking back on it; The intensity and focus placed on the online gaming experience basically "stress" right before bed was the cause of my issue. NOW I'm not saying this is the end all answer to everyone's sleep paralysis. I'm sure things like action movies and certain food right before sleep can also cause this issue.

So I ask you and anyone who experiences this sleep paralysis. Do you find yourself doing something that is very mind stimulating before going to bed like in my case video games? The rapid stimuli and hand eye coordination before bed I believe is the cause and maybe worth exploring.

I hope this helped you or someone out there with this issue.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Sleep paralysis is said to be when your mind is awake and your body asleep (hence paralysed) however through my experiences with SP i wud have to disagree, my thought processes seem to be very different to when i am fully conscious- unclear and volatile.

I also get SP often, normally around twice a week. My strangest experiences has been when meditating during the day and encouraging the effects of SP. In one session i remember my body being paralysed and i felt a definite shift of consciousness- a rush like a strong wind and existing for a few minutes in a thick, brown medium like muddy water. I remember struggling and panicking then being 'rushed' back to my physical body. Wierd things definetly do occur when SP kicks in thats all i can say.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I suffer a lot with SP.

Its been discussed many times before

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Sounds to me like you are hearing the things that go on in the astral plane. sleep p. is the begining stages of a projection.
I've been projecting since i was 15.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobotAlligator
Dreaming? no. As pretty much anyone who has had sleep paralysis can tell you, during the experience you are completely lucid, it seems no different than reality. Also, when you dream you usually have random sensations. The sensations that I had with the mechanical sound/being forced back into the same position i was laying in when I tried to move were not random, but seemed to be conditional upon me trying to break the paralysis.

[edit on 7-9-2005 by RobotAlligator]

The same grade of vividness and realism can be achieved in lucid dreams (Especially with some false awakenings, and ''dream powers'' disabled for some unknown reason as to increase the realism.)

I've had my own fair share of them and I can guarantee you that those dreams are almost equal to reality, with almost I mean, that eventually you still wake up. And in those dreams there were no *random* sensations (Whatever you might mean by that.) And even if there would be according to you, apparently I did not perceive them, so I could claim the same thing back at you.

Personally, I would suggest you to visit a forum dedicated to these kind of things. ATS sure is nice to debate things on, but when you want a simple answer it's the last place I would want to be. Why? Because you'll get 30 different answers and usually only 10 directly answer your question, even though those 10 are in conflict with eachother anyway. Especially in "shady" areas like this one.

[edit on 30/9/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RobotAlligator

Sounds like you were having a WILD 'Wake Induced Lucid Dream'. What you described sounds like you were in SP and your mind was attempting to wonder off into a dream but your body wouldn't cooperate. Anything about AP is just plain silly.

new topics

top topics

join