It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Forensics TV Shows Give Criminals Helping Hand.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I would say that these shows help out a certain type of criminal. It doesn't matter that all of the whiz-bang gadgets and science used by these shows either does not exist or that it is too expensive to use for all but the most serious crimes. The most important benefit of these shows to criminals is that they might make them THINK! The majority of crimes are solved because the criminal usually did something very simple, very wrong. My cousin just retired as a Homicide investigator for the State Police a few years ago and has told me some of the ways that they have solved some murders. A few years ago a Real Estate agent was raped and murdered. Despite no witnesses they had the guy in a few hours. Guess how? He schedualed an appointment with her to view a house and the police were able to get his cell phone number from her office phone. If he would have called from a pay phone they probably never would have caught him. Remember the CSI where they tracked the guty by the GPS in his cell phone? If this guy would have seen that show he might have thought to not use his own phone. If a criminal watches one of these shows and it makes them even a little bit more careful about the way that they commit a crime that little bit might mean the difference between their being caught or getting away with it.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The best way to get away with murder is to hire someone to do the job for you. Someone that would be very difficult to connect to you (ie: not your best buddy from college; dont call him from your phone, etc.). Someone who knows how to keep their mouth shut, even when faced with jail time or offered a deal to testify against you. You need to establish an air-tight alliby. Like having dinner at a crowded restaurant an hour away from the crime scene, during the time of the actual crime. Of course, going on a vacation to the Bahamas or Vegas that week is too suspicious.

Some people say there's no such thing as the "perfect crime." I beg to differ. I think that if you committ a crime, are able to reap the benefits of the crime, and are never caught, then you've committed the perfect crime. For example: if you rob millions from a bank vault, get to spend the money and live a dream life of luxury, and are never apprehended, then you've committed the perfect crime in my eyes.

The bottom line is to always keep it cool when questioned. If you're the husband of the victim, or the business partner, or the person who is going to inherit money as a result of the murder, then you're always going to fall under suspicion immediately. It's important to have all your bases covered. Appear to be cooperative, but also have an attorney present if they want to bring you "down town." Even if you committ the perfect crime forensicly, you can still get busted by slipping up with your story or your alliby. So keep it simple, stupid! Most people are caught when they run their mouths to others, or think they can trust the wrong person.

Please keep in mind that this isn't a "how to" manual on committing a crime. I do not endorse crime under any circumstances (unless you're in New Orleans and you're stealing bread and water for your family). If you murder someone and it isn't in self-defense, then I hope you're caught and punished. Even if you aren't, I believe that you will be when you meat your maker. So always remember kids... don't try to kill anyone unless they try to kill you first. Or unless they say horrible things about your momma!

<< 1   >>

join