It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Disbelief - Former FEMA Officials Speak Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

www.washingtonmonthly.com
BEHIND THE CURTAIN....George Bush's photo-op tour of New Orleans yesterday has apparently driven Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu over the edge. Today she blasted FEMA for its feeble response to Hurricane Katrina and Bush for his phony, stage managed promises of action:

I understand that the U.S. Forest Service had water-tanker aircraft available to help douse the fires raging on our riverfront, but FEMA has yet to accept the aid. When Amtrak offered trains to evacuate significant numbers of victims — far more efficiently than buses — FEMA again dragged its feet. Offers of medicine, communications equipment and other desperately needed items continue to flow in, only to be ignored by the agency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

W...T...F?!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Chicago Mayor 'Shocked' as Feds Reject Aid

www.suntimes.com
A visibly angry Mayor Daley said the city had offered emergency, medical and technical help to the federal government as early as Sunday to assist people in the areas stricken by Hurricane Katrina, but as of Friday, the only things the feds said they wanted was a single tank truck.

"We are ready to provide more help than they have requested. We are just waiting for their call," said Daley, adding that he was "shocked" that no one seemed to want the help.

Daley said the city offered 36 members of the firefighters' technical rescue teams, eight emergency medical technicians, search-and-rescue equipment, more than 100 police officers as well as police vehicles and two boats, 29 clinical and 117 non-clinical health workers, a mobile clinic and eight trained personnel, 140 Streets and Sanitation workers and 29 trucks, plus other supplies. City personnel are willing to operate self-sufficiently and would not depend on local authorities for food, water, shelter and other supplies, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2005-9-8 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
maybe the "new and improved" FEMA that emerges from this mess will cite it's pre-katrina organizational structure as the reason for being so heavy-handed and agressive during the NEXT disaster [9/11??]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The evidence does keep piling up, doesn't it.

...and many people don't seem to realize that much of what's happening will establish accepted standards of treatment/behavior, and legal precedents regarding both.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   

UPDATE: Good God. Laura Rozen passes along the following report from a Dutch reader:

There was a striking dicrepancy between the CNN International report on the Bush visit to the New Orleans disaster zone, yesterday, and reports of the same event by German TV.

ZDF News reported that the president's visit was a completely staged event. Their crew witnessed how the open air food distribution point Bush visited in front of the cameras was torn down immediately after the president and the herd of 'news people' had left and that others which were allegedly being set up were abandoned at the same time.

The people in the area were once again left to fend for themselves, said ZDF.

This goes beyond stage management. This is criminal.

UPDATE 2: Over at Respectful of Otters, Rivka posts a more definitive translation of the ZDF report. It turns out the ZDF reporter was talking about the staging of cleanup and corpse removal in Biloxi, not food distribution points in New Orleans.

www.washingtonmonthly.com...

Dont know the BB code for the news links.

Anywho... O_O Wow, WTF is going on.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
all i can say, is if FEMA is guilty as it is claimed, ladies and gentz -this is the beginning of the end. John Titor may end up being right afterall. This kind of story is what can instigate complete civil war. pretty soon we'll have feds vs. local sherrif dept. all over. God bless you all.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I just know that in the following months, this whole episode is going to play out just like 9-11 did. Here's how it will likely go down:

1. Calls for an immediate investigation into the mishandling of the disaster will be temporarily staved off with pleas to "give us time" because "the nation is still in mourning".

2. Once enough time has passed that the facts are becoming obfuscated by the passage of same, the media will suddenly start banging the gongs, beating the drums, and hollering about "acountability". Many on Capitol Hill will start jumping on the bandwagon trying to get their fat heads on T.V. because they have "a duty to the people of the United States and to the victims of this unprecedented disaster, etc etc".

3. The media will do it's duty of demonizing and subtly inferring blame on State and local officials, all the while maintaining that precious veneer of "objective, unbiased investigative reporting". There will be plenty of propaganda sob stories from victims who blame State and local officals. Those with a different story will be either ignored or discredited.

4. A "Katrina Commission", will be set up and will be headed up by one of Daddy Bush's old buddies.

5. The commission will totally whitewash the whole affair and absolve the Bush administration and FEMA of any real, significant responsibilty. Any sections of the report or witness testimony that contradict this conclusion will be either redacted, or withheld citing "national security".

6. The "Katrina Commission Report" will show that FEMA was unable to effectively implement their disaster action plan due to bureaucratic obstacles, waiting for the go-ahead from asleep-at-the-wheel State officials, and because of anarchy on the ground. The report will make recommendations that:
a) FEMA's powers be expanded and enhanced such that it can bypass/override State jurisdiction in the event of a future disaster
b) Gun control be tightened, and
c) Swifter intervention of the National Guard be enabled to restore order in future times of crises.

7. New legislation will be passed enacting the recommendations of the Katrina Commission. It will probably be called the "Disaster Relief Act" or the "Emergency Powers Act". The legislation wil be primarily concerned with military involvement in disaster relief and dealing with looters and armed 'refugees', rather than enhancing disaster relief efforts themselves.

8. The poster-child hurricane victims, their usefulness exhausted, will be quietly abandoned and forgotten, and funding will dry up.

9. The independent media will be ablaze with endless smoking guns that point to dirty dealings, nepotism, clean-up contract favoritism, deliberate inaction and generally impeachable offences by the Bush administration and FEMA. None of these smoking guns will make it into mainstream media. Proponents of this information will be labelled "conspiracy crackpots" and "liberals" by a minute percentage of the population, but somehow the voices of those few, combined with the double-whammy of silence from the corporate media, will be enough to drown out the voices of the many.

10. Wait for next disaster. Return to Step 1.

Feel free to come back in a few months and see how my prediction panned out. This is one rare occasion where I actually hope that I will be forced to eat my own words....

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
i hope your prediction is wrong, but i doubt it. sounded pretty accurate to me.

i agree katrina will be used as a pretext for a better more organized/faster acting FEMA than before. once again, they will try to scare America into submission. But this time it wont be 'homeland security' cabinet they set up. It will be worse. Think Patriot Act 3. Think detainment camps. A pretext for all out FEMA (martial) law.

Whats really gonna tip the scale is when a handful of idiots realize whats happening (problem/action/solution) and decide to do something about it. I picture a mini-militia, possibly even a local police department engaging in a gunfight when FEMA attempts to sabotage something else.

The day the feds and police dept. are in a gunfight; Its officially over. Kiss America (whatever it is/was) AWAY. Goodbye.

I wish you all luck. See, this psy-op/war has already been won. We the thinkers, (here at ATS and elsewhere) have lost. If you take up arms, pick a side, take a stand, pick up a gun, whatever - you are only placing a target on your own chest, and you are offering a pretext for the complete forced takeover.

We saw 911 and said we wouldnt let it happen again. Unfortunatley, our collective convictions were already spread far and wide. 911 only served to deepen our already deep rooted DISagreements. Even to this day, those of us that agree 911 was absolute treason, are not organized or influential enough to implement a turnaround. This is the downward slope ya'll.

Peace to all of you. Each and everyone of us is going to be confronted personally with this. Your own personal moment of truth. Be it a year from now or 5 - theres no stopping the military industrial complex and its forced takeover. Whether you end up in a detainment camp, or killed on the spot -we all gotta die ya'll. Its too bad the media has such a grip on the american psyche because it allows just enough trust in the federal government that no one will act. Those that do will be labeled 'terrorist' or somesuch. Well let me tell you: THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS BEEN OVERTHROWN.

I am not advocating violence, or even activism for that matter because it really wont do much good. And regardless, damned if you do -damned if you dont.

However, there is something rudimentary to humanity. We've done this before. And in the past, individuals didnt do it for themselves -they did it for their childrens childrens children......

FEMA (& co.) declared psy-op war on the American population. Maybe we declared it on ourselves. But understand this IS a psy-op. Manufactured consent. For your childrens childrens children, lets declare psy-op on them by not allowing the textbooks to record these lies. It is our responsibility to keep the truth alive. God bless.

[edit on 9-9-2005 by lost]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
i've just watched Aaron Broussard break down in tears and now i'm becoming depressed tinged with anger and disbelief, how long will the american ppl put up with this? i'm a english man and have learned and witnessed the courage of your nation in times like these over the decades, will someone stand up and be counted, get out on the streets, march with banners, storm the wighthouse and get rid of bush, use your governments neglect of its ppl to change the thoughts and minds of the profane who walk around with you.

i dont mean to rant, but boy did that link upset me

God bless.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I wish I could argue the last 2 points but I can't because they both make very good points that I regret to agree to. However If you would understand how it is not about Republican or Democrat and see that they are both to blame and running smoke screens for eachother. Just look at what is going on now with this Hurricane,the buzz now is blame the Republicans for the failures with FEMA, so we will say that is true. Now look at who gets all of the press pointing out the failure,Democrats and they are doing it by crying racisim and being blatant in there political motivation. So now rather than solving the problems or getting the truth you and I will fight over those 2 factors Race and Politics and none of us will notice how the laws will change around us. By the time we wake up it will be too late to do anything.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
nothing new there factfinder,

thats why as the say in America "someone needs to step up the the plate "
who he/she is i dont know but surly it must happen soon.

maybe today, lets wait and see.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I am now thinking that the poor people trapped in the aftermath would have been better off if FEMA had just stayed out of it and allowed the private sector to handle it. Big shocker there! Once again it is proven that the private sector is more willing and capable of dealing with disaster than a so called "trained" government entity.

Now, we democrats can bitch at the republicans all we want but FEMA is supported by our party as well as total federal control just as much as it is by them.

This scenario should not be an argument to give FEMA more power, it should be an argument to disband it all together and allow states to handle their own crisis with donated help and aid from the rest of the states. It seems FEMA has done nothing but hamper the relief effort and get in the way. I say, its time those people found jobs.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Wanna get more powers [to be], all you have to do is incite fear amongst the public at large.

The whole "gangs shooting at rescue helicopters" preventing rescue efforts came across as a big propaganda spin to me, as Subz has so eloquently emphasized. The purpose of the propaganda? Next time there's a major disaster, the feds sending in troops to maintain order before aid and relief are sent in will be granted wider acceptance. Martial law will be met with open arms by many.

Regarding the propaganda surrounding the "gangs shooting at rescue helicopters", check out this first hand account of someone who was there to witness what really happened. I pulled this from another discussion forum I belong to.

Today, my cousin in law arrived in Miami from Houston. His spirits are high, and he's eager to start a new life here.

To clear up some things...

- Hurricane Katrina didn't become a real concern for New Orleans until early Saturday morning, 48 hours from landfall. At this point, Katrina was a Category 2. Mayor Nagin ordered a voluntary evacuation for the low lying parishes. Given the boy that cried wolf scenario with Hurricane Ivan still fresh in their minds, most do not listen to the warnings. A few boarded up and left, most of New Orleans stayed.

- Sunday morning, 6AM. Katrina has grown to a Cat 5. My counsin went to work to the Hotel. Around 10AM, he was told to leave work, Mayor Nagin has ordered a mandatory evacuation. My counsin, who doesn't have a car, tried to get a ride with some friends but they had already left town. The airport was closing so he couldn't get onto an emergency flight either. Nagin ordered all buses to transport as many people as they could to the SuperDome but was fighting time and mother nature. Meanwhile my counsin wentto his apartment, gathered some things and went back to the hotel, volunteered to help secure it and rode out the hurricane there.

- By Monday afternoon, Katrina passed and all was good. The French Quarter, where my counsin was at, suffered just minor damage.

- Tuesday, people that stayed in New Orleans but did not go to the SuperDome, came out, surveyed the damage, some were partying, others had cookouts, everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

- Wednesday, the levees broke and the flood started. Everyone was in shock and couldn't believe it.

- By Thursday, many parts of New Orleans was flooded but not "the entire city" as the media reported. The French Quarter had very little to no flooding. The Garden District, where Tulane and Loyola are, had about 1 to 2 inches of flooding and severe tree damage.

- Friday, my counsin and his friend left NO in a "borrowed" truck to Houston.

- Today, Monday, he got to Miami.

- The mass media was over exaggerating everything. For example, he said that in the SuperDome when he went inside for a few minutes to look around, Fox News was moving dead bodies and putting them around a person they were interviewing and told the person to say that there are dead people everwhere in the SuperDome as if they were studio props.

- NO cops were not allowed to leave duty or even take a break. Most were worried about their own family but were not allowed to go find them or go home. As a result, two cops commited suicide and others simply quit.

- The looting that took place was mainly for essential items. The police was aware of this but let it happen anyways. In most instances, they were there to make sure no one got hurt in the process. The mentality was that if the cops wouldn't have allowed people to do what they needed to do in order to survive, a mass riot would ensure. The police themselves were forced to loot for their own food and water.

- The people in the SuperDome and Convention Center were basically left there to die. People were pissing and #ting on themselves. Some slept in charis, some on the floor. The places smalled rotten. It was the most dire circumstances one could imagine. No help was there until Friday when someone in the federal government authorized the relief and evacuation.

- The shooting of the helicopter was over exaggerated by the media. The helicopter was trying to land, and a mob formed yelling for help, the helicopter backed off then people fired in the air but not at the helicopter. They were trying to get its attention and for it to come back. My counsin witnessed this.

- The Vietnamese people chartered two buses from Houston that came to pick up their own on Thursday, knowing that help was not coming any time soon. Once in Houston, the refugees are staying among the Vietnamese community there.

- A National Guardsman told my counsin to do whatever he has to do to get out of NO. He didn't recommend him going to the SuperDome or Convention Center to wait for the buses as help was to be days away. Also the military were driving around looking for people to rescue but their priority was to rescue and take white people out of NO first, not the poor black people. So if they were to go to the Convention Center to try to get a ride from a passing bus offloading black survivors, the bus would probably have picked them up but refused to take any others and a riot would have ensured.

- As my counsin and his friend were leaving NO, they arrived at a checkpoint. Checkpoints are setup at all entry/exit roads to NO. The military police extensively questioned the car in the front of them. The car was some sedan with a group of black men. They were asked for ID, registration, where they were headed to, etc etc. When they couldn't come up with ID or registration, they were asked to step out, then the military cops pushed them onto the ground and arrested them. When they questioned my counsin, who is hispanic, and his friend who is white, they said that they had no ID, no registration and going to Houston, they were let through. All those being questioned extensively and/or arrested happen to be black.

- The help, relief and transportation buses were in the city the entire time. They were all just parked there and the people were ready to go but couldn't. The National Guard troops told my counsin that they were waiting for orders from FEMA/Homeland Security/Bush to begin the evacuation of New Orleans, which did not come down until Friday morning.

Some of these revelations are shocking, but this is coming from someone who was there and experienced it. Simply put, there is no excuse for Bush to wait almost 5 days to order the federal relief order and evacuation to begin. People have died as a result due to his inaction. Maybe I should have voted for Gore in 2000 or Kerry in 2004.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Thanks for that subtle. A real eye-opener!

Originally posted by subtle
- The shooting of the helicopter was over exaggerated by the media. The helicopter was trying to land, and a mob formed yelling for help, the helicopter backed off then people fired in the air but not at the helicopter. They were trying to get its attention and for it to come back. My cousin witnessed this.

I wonder if this was the only incident. There may have been others, but somehow I doubt that it was enough to seriously hamper any rescue efforts. Amazing how one or two incidents can be latched onto by the media and suddenly it's a "pervasive" problem. I read of one incident described by the media where supposedly a flood victims trapped on the roof of a building fired at a helicopter out of anger that other people were being rescued while they were not.

- A National Guardsman told my cousin to do whatever he has to do to get out of NO. He didn't recommend him going to the SuperDome or Convention Center to wait for the buses as help was to be days away.

How did a National Guardsman know that help would be days away??

Also the military were driving around looking for people to rescue but their priority was to rescue and take white people out of NO first, not the poor black people.

I can't believe I just read that! So they were actually ordered to take out white people as priority.

- As my cousin and his friend were leaving NO, they arrived at a checkpoint. Checkpoints are setup at all entry/exit roads to NO. The military police extensively questioned the car in the front of them. The car was some sedan with a group of black men. They were asked for ID, registration, where they were headed to, etc etc. When they couldn't come up with ID or registration, they were asked to step out, then the military cops pushed them onto the ground and arrested them. When they questioned my cousin, who is hispanic, and his friend who is white, they said that they had no ID, no registration and going to Houston, they were let through. All those being questioned extensively and/or arrested happen to be black.

WTF is that?! Just like Valhall's son said, "Welcome to Nazi germany." There's a pattern emerging here that certain law enforcement and military personnel were issued with orders to carry out these acts.

- The help, relief and transportation buses were in the city the entire time. They were all just parked there and the people were ready to go but couldn't. The National Guard troops told my cousin that they were waiting for orders from FEMA/Homeland Security/Bush to begin the evacuation of New Orleans, which did not come down until Friday morning.

Is this incompetence, bad communication, or deliberate delaying to increase the visual and emotional impact of the disaster.

Maybe I should have voted for Gore in 2000 or Kerry in 2004.

That's what the rest of the world (and indeed much of the U.S.) has been saying since as far back as 2001. What a shame it took something like this for folks to finally realize that voting crooks into office doesn't provide any security at all, in fact the opposite is true. I sincerely hope that some major, MAJOR heads roll for this.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
WIP your analogy is depressingly probable.

As always, the media will focus on the EXTREME views rather
than helping to shed light on the heart of the matter.

I will bet you that the document shredders have been running 24/7
in preparation of this looming independent investigation.

Any documents that make our government appear, corrupt, weak, disorganized or unprepared
will be either heavily redacted or destroyed as a matter of National Security.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
quote""""""
If there was ever a time when the American people need to stop, think, and fix the Governmental problems of this country then it would be now.

But alas, people are too overwhelmed in their jobs, future, and lives to worry about the government. Apathy has been replaced by the need to survive. And in order to survive, you can't take the time to effectivly put an end to this horrible government.

Sure, you can protest.. have big ol' walk-a-thons.. but do you really, for a second, think the government gives a hoot about those? Do you really think that setting up a camp outside the whitehouse, or president Bush's vacation home, will make the government think?

Our government have become professionals at doing everything against the wills of it's citizens, lying to it's citizens, and in return, ignoring everything we "protest"..

We're just an uneducated herd.. bahhhhhhh

The really messed up part is.. everywhere I go, everyone I talk to.. everyone has the same opinion of our corrupt government. I have never, not once, met a person that would defend our government.. yet.. we all just do as we're told, and follow that line... bahhhhhhhh"""""""

I quoted your whole post because i agree whole-heartedly. I have never met anyone, republican or democrat, who didn't know everyone was getting screwed at all times by the government, but does nothig about it. But I disagree about why, I think it has to do with the most brilliant strategy ever devised. The government has made it so no one gives a **** about anyhting but the immediate now, and personal future. Because thats the case, no one cares about anyhting else, as long as there own immediate now and personal future is intact as they wish it to be in there own minds. I'm not sure when it happened, but it happened, and I feel thats why no one does anyhting about it. On another note, how about in other countries, can any of our foreign poters give there thought about the state of affairs in there country, I would appreciate it.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Exactly,

The debt, the responsibility, and the political fallout will all be the next administration's headache.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
in the end this will all turn out to be a bunch of finger pointing and name calling...when it's all over, the "new guy" will get fired and the real man in charge will most likely get a pay raise and "another" vacation.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Perhap's I have no right to say this. But I will anyway:
The big problem, less those who refused to leave NO had to do with people poor, sick or disabled that were not GIVEN A MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION to leave before the Storm hit.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
One thing that has been hushed up pretty well so far, is the outsourcing for Louisiana FEMA response. FEMA has removed their press release announcing this from their website in recent days, but it is here: Insurance Journal, June 2004. Notice that James Lee Witt's private company was one of the partners involved in this. How interesting that the LA Governor is hired him to get paid again for carrying out what he failed to see done right the first time.

Also, of course, the profiteers of privatization already have lucrative contracts to siphon off the FEMA dollars - Blackwater has been guarding buildings and Halliburton already has a rebuilding contract.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join