It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricanes, weather control, and nuclear weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I couldn't think of anyplace else to ask this question so I thought I would give you folks at ATS a shot.

What would have happened if the govt. had detonated an air burst nuclear weapon in the eye of or in the vicinity of the hurricane when it was a relatively safe distance from shore?

According to fas.org there would be a limited amount of danger from fallout.
www.fas.org...

An air burst is an explosion in which a weapon is detonated in air at an altitude below 30 km but at sufficient height that the fireball does not contact the surface of the earth. After such a burst, blast may cause considerable damage and injury. The altitude of an air burst can be varied to obtain maximum blast effects, maximum thermal effects, desired radiation effects, or a balanced combination of these effects. Burns to exposed skin may be produced over many square kilometers and eye injuries over a still larger area. Initial nuclear radiation will be a significant hazard with smaller weapons, but the fallout hazard can be ignored as there is essentially no local fallout from an air burst. The fission products are generally dispersed over a large area of the globe unless there is local rainfall resulting in localized fallout. In the vicinity of ground zero, there may be a small area of neutron-induced activity which could be hazardous to troops required to pass through the area.

Would this be feasable? Would the trade off of potential fallout and damage versus the onshore hurricane damage be worth it?

new topics

join