It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Gov to give Katrina Victims $2,000 debt cards

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The distribution of these cards shows just how unprepared and inept FEMA is. They're making people buy their own supplies. Or is it something more sinister?

Lucky WalMart and Target and other convenience stores, for they're about to get half a million people rushing forward to pay with debit cards sponsored by Uncle Sam.

Theres always a gravy train. Always.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
(To post #19, previous page)

Off-the-cuff quip # 378:

I prefer "analysis" to "analyzation".

And you are correct.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Oh pleeeeeze, they just interviewed people on CNN who called to get their "cards" and they were told to call back in 14 days, another was told dont call us we'll call you.

What kind of sick joke is this?
They 're telling the world they're doing it (for damage control) only thing is, ha! if this is going to be done at all, they got probably another month of starvation. and waiting.

Sick just sick and undoubtedly someone will come back with "the why's and the apologies for the government" as usual.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
So, maybe the PR program and spin precede the actual logistics and production of the goods.

Damage control.

Business as usual.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
The distribution of these cards shows just how unprepared and inept FEMA is. They're making people buy their own supplies. Or is it something more sinister?

Sinister as in....what exactly?

And isn't it more appropriate to hand someone the means to buy what's right for them rather than dole out standardized packages which might contain 50% of useless stuff to any given party?

A young single woman has much different needs than an elderly married man.

Lucky WalMart and Target and other convenience stores, for they're about to get half a million people rushing forward to pay with debit cards sponsored by Uncle Sam.

This would happen regardless of who was supplying the funds, surely?

People in need, need to buy stuff.

Walmart and Target are cheap.

Isn't it logical that they'd be a popular destination?

(what am I missing here? Where's the conspiracy?)

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Not to worry, as discussed above and verifyable if you tune into CNN, there are no cards. period.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Yes 2000 is not alot of money to start over and I doubt that is how it is intended.

According one of Valhalls updates apparently people in the relocation areas will have welfare, SSI/SSD papaerwork processed etc. So if they were on assistance before they will be able to continue that. You cannot process that many people in a few days and it takes time. The 2K is money likely to to hold things over till that gets done.

As far as drug dealers and "intended uses" Old style food stamps could be traded as cash ie $10 of food stamps could be exchanged for $1 cash not sure about the new cards, but something can be worked out im sure.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Not to worry, as discussed above and verifyable if you tune into CNN, there are no cards. period.

I can't find anything on CNN relating to this; it's understandable though (surely?!) that it's not going to happen overnight.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that, dgtempe?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
One thing about something that was said earlier in the thread. If it was found that the corp of Engineers, or whomever, did blow the levee in order to save the more expensive parts of the city, then would that also be regarded as an act of god(The hurricane) or an act of man(Breaking the levee's which added to the damage from the act of god). I am thinking about the insurance issues here.

Would it be like finding a guy whose already been mugged, so you rob him for his jacket and figure your free because he was mugged first? The law can't find anything wrong with that...can it?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I hear a lot of complaining....and I think to a certain extent, given the nature of this calamity, it's justifiable...

But money is money...And anyone who has enough common sense and is in desperate need of money won't make some trifling attempt at belittling any and all forms of support...

$2000 is $2000....Simple as that - It may be an insult to some but it's a blessing to others...

I'm far from condoning the gov'ts response to this disaster, but I think every little bit helps right now and people complaining over observing a situation they clearly are not in seems selfish and piteous...

Yes this is not enough. Yes they deserve more...But you can't rob Peter to pay Paul, and time is the only thing these people have...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join