It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Gov to give Katrina Victims $2,000 debt cards

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The Government decided today to start issuing all adults of the Katrina disaster $2,000 debt cards to be used to buy food, clothing, gas and anything else.

news.yahoo.com
Homeland Security Department Secretary
Michael Chertoff descibed the plan in a conference call with state officials Wednesday morning. The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to major rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome.

"They are going to start issuing debit cards, $2,000 per adult, today (Wednesday) at the Astrodome," said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

The cards could be used to buy food, transportation, gas and other essentials, according to a state official who was on the call and requested anonymity because the program has not been publicly announced.

The available money — $13 billion in all — will be distributed from the federal Disaster Relief Fund, said FEMA spokeswoman Natalie Rule. She said FEMA was setting up registration centers in shelters in Houston and Dallas where evacuees could obtain the cards

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Where were the debt cards when Andrew hit? I'm sure that the people who are going to be getting these cards will most assuredly use them for their intended use!

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Two thousand dollars can only go so far, and I also wonder if they will use them wisely and for the intended purpose.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
"...intended use."

Well, if you're "classifying" people (profiling) then let me assure you that most drug dealers do not accept plastic. I imagine places that sell clothes, food, and offer shelter do accept plastic.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
How about using the cards to buy a car to go back to NO, many will probably want to go back after life in a shelter.

And when it comes to "Drugs dealers" they always find a way to get their stuff.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
2000 bucks will get you about..15 nights in a nice hotel, 25 nights in an average hotel, a month tops. If you go to a highway joint and don't mind fighting with the roaches for rights to the bathroom, you could stay for two months on 2000 dollars. What about the rest of the time before people are let back in the city? What about food?

One family could rent out a house in my neighborhood for about..ten days, 1/3 a month, and get food from the food bank, but that's about the end of it.

Now, to be clear, I think people are responsible for their own decisions, and the state their lives are in. I don't think it's the business of the federal government to make people comfortable, not usually anyway. However, because the evacuations are now mandatory, I do feel the Goverment owes those people something.

And 2k is a joke if you want to actually help these people.

And for the record, some drug dealers do take credit cards. I've known two of them personally. They've got this fancy way around the whole paper trail aspect, it's called, get the addicts to buy you stuff with their credit cards.

So, yeah, the people can use the loot for drugs if they so desire.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Tell me about it, drugs dealers and their consumers can go around anything to get their business going.

Bad habits are hard to brake.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Sort of the same old-same old. Trying to save her job but I'm confident this will not help. What might help is if blame falls on anothers shoulders?

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I don't think it's an issue of just drugs, to be honest I would be annoyed if there are people out there buying themselves cigarettes and beer too, which everybody knows will happen. That has nothing to do with profiling, the fact is that americans don't spend money wisely, we are a nation of people in debt.

If you hand out money to people, there will be people who use it well but there will also be tons of people who go out, stay at the best hotel and eat out every night then complain a week later that they need money... help them please, they can't afford to eat.

As an honest question, why are so many people screaming that the federal government should be paying for everything and helping everybody out? Shouldn't the city and state whose responsibility the levees and call for evacuation were, be the ones fixing the problem? The federal government advised an evacuation with enough time, it's the more local levels that pushed everything off, knowing disaster was inevitable.
I can see the federal goverment pitching in...
basically, if you move into a flood plain below sea level surrounded by water constantly dependant on electricity that goes out in storms, why are you surprised when it floods? And if I choose to live somewhere that it isn't a problem so that I don't have to deal with it, why should I be forced to pay to fix what happened? I am all for charitable donations, but not forced ones. When central Ohio gets hit by a level 4 with 3 days warning, then I see it as disaster that everybody should pitch in to help with.

I do see an all-purpose debit card as a disaster waiting to happen, those who can't handle the money well are just going to turn around and demand more.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These people have lost EVERYTHING. .......and they are getting a whopping $2,000 to start over.

JEEEEEEEEZ. Has anybody here ever relocated? Tried to get a new apartment? Made deposits on utilities and services? Never mind the transportation costs.

Guess what sportsfans? 2000 bucks doesn't do it. Not even when you have a truck full of household items, a wardrobe, and a freezer full of unspoiled food.

If you can't get a grip at least get a perspective. And maybe some pertinent information.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Can anyone please accumulate the U.S. military budget this year, please? I'm in dire need to know how much they shall spend this year on a few more f-17's...

Luxifero.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I just hope that no one tries to take advantage of the situation by trying to get more than one card, not being affected, etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I do think it's a little unfair to judge the intent of the recipients, even though abuse is inevitable - whether it's from people making false claims, or people spending their allotted amount on booze (then again, if I'd just lost everything I'm not sure I wouldn't be trying to drown my sorrows a little, too).

But $2000 is not a huge amount to restart your life.

Honestly? It is better than nothing, though I sincerely hope more aid is forthcoming.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hmm. Good idea.

About 5 cards might get someone into a new home, pick up a few basics, and carry the family until a job can be found.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Like I said…. where were these "debt cards" when the hurricanes took out south FL and NC & SC?? Where were the cruise ships? Was there mass looting by not only the people but the police?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I wonder how long the program will be made available. Also, I wonder about the details of how one is processed at a shelter. This will determine potential scams.

You could take advantage of churches and team up with somebody to call you on your cell saying they are a loved one and are at such and such place, etc. Remember people are generous right now so you might be able to get new clothes, shoes, food, etc...then bail.

Edit to add the following...

Forgot about relatives and family members that you know are dead...there is a small window where you could hop from one registration center to the next. Hopefully, they are using the Drivers License Database to prevent this and not rushing to get aid out.

[edit on 9/8/2005 by swintersVT]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
i bet theres somethin they gotta sign to get the card as well, that is a waiver or something similar....

reminds me of a line from goodfellas...

"2000 bucks for a lifetime"

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by rancid1
Like I said…. where were these "debt cards" when the hurricanes took out south FL and NC & SC?? Where were the cruise ships? Was there mass looting by not only the people but the police?

Probably because this is something of an unprecedented disaster in terms of destruction.

I'm not sure why we'd be complaining about not receiving such aid, simply because this group is receiving aid?

Sorry. I just can't begrudge anyone needing that kind of help, even if it hasn't been awarded in the past.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
As a general observation, $2000 will mean more to people who don't have $2000 cash to their names than it will to people who are adequately insured and well-resourced.

The class stucture in a "classless" society and land of opportunity is likely to play out quite visibly over several months.

(Off topic slightly). What exactly is the exposure of the insurance industry, and is it going to have a shakeout as a result of this disaster? What kind of provisions are hidden in contracts regarding "Acts of God"?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Usually insurance companies won't pay out for "Acts of God" damage; hurricanes generally fall under this category

You can obtain hurricane-specific insurance, but obviously at a premium.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This will be an interesting experiment ripe for analyzation by social scientists. Perhaps we will finally discover the direct effects of government handouts to citizens.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join