It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. base in Turkmenistan soon; alarming for Russia - expert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
MOSCOW, September 6 (RIA Novosti) - The United States may soon transfer a military base from Uzbekistan to Turkmenistan. Experts interviewed by two popular Russian dailies said that Russia could both benefit and suffer from this move.

According to Novye Izvestia and Nezavisimaya Gazeta, observers said that the United States' military presence in Turkmenistan was part of preparations to attack Iran. Once in Turkmenistan, the U.S. will close the ring around Iran, as it already has bases in all the other countries bordering on Iran.

However, the U.S. military base in Turkmenistan will also affect Russia's interests, the chairman of Russia's Islamic Committee, Geidar Dzhemal, said. Firstly, nearly all the Central Asian republics will find themselves under U.S. control. Secondly, Russia will lose Iran, its ally in the region.

"A U.S. strike at Iran is inevitable, and it is being planned for the near future," Dzhemal told Novye Izvestia. This will badly affect Russia in economic terms too, as a U.S. attack on Iran will damage the entire region's infrastructure, and Russia will have to deal with an influx of refugees.

Moreover, all the major oil reserves that Iran exports to Europe will be seized by the United States.

Nezavisimaya Gazeta quoted Colonel Anatoly Tsyganok, the head of Russia's Center for Military Forecasting, as saying that Uzbek President Islam Karimov could even be ready to pay the United States $100-300 million to withdraw its troops from the Khanabad air base in the country immediately.

The expert said: "The Shanghai Cooperation Organization [Russia, China, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan] might take on the Khanabad air base after the U.S. leaves, and deploy its own joint air group under the pretext of anti-terrorist efforts in Central Asia."

Tsyganok also said that Uzbekistan did not have the money for the purpose. Therefore, only SCO members, most likely Russia and China, would be able to sponsor the project. Tsyganok said Moscow would hardly miss the chance to seize the Uzbek air base ahead of other countries.

Article...

Hmm....sounds interesting.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Im not sure it sop much worry over an Iranina strike rather loss of regional control over Oil resources. If I recall correctly, the government there was interested int he US developing the oil infrastructure there (Chevron I think) so perhaps that is the real reason they are nervous (Plus the encroach of NATO)

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Big ticket..is the U.S. Forces moving closer to or farther away from Russia? If away from Russia it says alot. More than most will realize I think.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
Big ticket..is the U.S. Forces moving closer to or farther away from Russia? If away from Russia it says alot. More than most will realize I think.

Much closer. Russia used to rule over alot of countires with "Stan" on the end of them. This AFB will be right in thier belly

If I were the Chinese I would be more worried about it thant the Russian IMHO

[edit on 9/7/05 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Well then that could be a deception too. Perhap's an eventual suicide mission. Geez you know I should be careful what I think and write.

Here on I'll reply in private to potential offensive U.S. security matters that may have been thought of by U.S. Defence Dept.

Not that I'm anywhere near their level but suggesting things outloud instead of privately sending it to the U.S. Def Dept. is wrong these days Fred T -- I feel.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
In terms of operbility of a/c turkmenistan or uzbekistan won't make much of a difference.

Also I really doubt if Russia and china would occupy a joint base over there(uzbek) together.

IMO it'll be an all Russian affair.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I assume, or can I assume your talking about another's post and not my last - above?

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   
no.. not really.. infact I never quite got what you said in that last post of yours..

I meant my post to address the general topic...
Whatever strategic depth the US got from tht Uzbek base, it can avail from the turkmen base too. Not much shift in the geographical location..
Its like,
"ok you're kicking us out of here(uzbek), to try and reduce our influence in the region.. Then we'll just go and sit there(turkmen) and continue with whatever we were up to..This place(turkmen) is just as good as the last (uzbek) if not better for certain puposes(Iran) "

The only significant shift is that the US has moved away from the western chinese borders.. Now the closest US establishment to west china is this afghan base which is abt 500-750km away.
Before the uzbek base would've given them 2 establishments that were under 1000km from west china..

The proximity to Russia more or less remains the same.. The latitudes don't change much.

But having said this, I think Russia will be the first to take control of that base there.. I doubt they'd want the chinese to be in uzbek.
Besides china has almost no military forces deployed on its western borders(Xinjiang province) and wouldn't want to put an isolated base beyond those western borders..

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Great reply. Not much I can add to to that. Only my thoughts may have crossed some offensive lines above.

Very good background you through in there !

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   
i think one of czar putin's goals is to gain back all the satillite states that the USSR lost when it broke up and I really hope the US doesnt invade Iran,

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Putin is a dangerous man. Perhaps not just due to his KGB background but he can out-think people and pre-act in advance?

He's a man that no one should fear but all free worlds should watch - closely. If he were Chess player he might be a world champion.
Look at China's war games with Russia. Look at North Korea with China. S, seems to me Putin may be check-mated with Iraq and Iran?, but little more.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Putin is a dangerous man. Perhaps not just due to his KGB background but he can out-think people and pre-act in advance

oooohhhh the evil putin laughing in a macabre way,shaking his hands with a crow in his shoulder, waiting in a cave of the dark forest of siberia.....veeeery evil and dangerous

come on, what a paranoid.....

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Interesting answer. Do you always answer in the negative or perhap's a lack of knowledge? Or are you just being a smart A__.

It's comments like yours that are unfair to those who put forth their honest thoughts and get someone like you and nonsense answers for a response.

Dallas

new topics

top topics

join