It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Katrina could prompt new black "great migration"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
If the refugees from Hurricane Katrina do not return home this could be the largest African American resettlement since last century. Between 1940 and 1970 more than 5 million African Americans left the South in an effort to find better jobs and conditions. With officials stating that it may take months to years to rebuild the city, many of the poorest have no choice and cannot afford to wait. Experts also caution that it is simply to early to make an accurate prediction.

news.yahoo.com[ /url]
HOUSTON (Reuters) - If refugees end up building new lives away from New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina may prompt the largest U.S. black resettlement since the 20th century's Great Migration lured southern blacks to the North in a search for jobs and better lives.

Interviews with refugees in Houston, which is expecting many thousands of evacuees to remain, suggest that thousands of blacks who lost everything and had no insurance will end up living in Texas or other U.S. states.

Officials say it will take many months and maybe even years before the birthplace of jazz is rebuilt.

"We advise people that this city has been destroyed," New Orleans Deputy Police Chief Warren Riley told reporters on Monday. "We are simply asking people not to come back to this city right now."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It makes sense when you think about it. Many who lost everything have nothing to go home to at any rate. Certainly if they were unemployed in NOLA do they have skills or training needed to gain employment elsewhere? This would be the key to starting over IMHO. After meeting their basic needs of course. This should be explored and training programs set up to give the refugees every opportunity to start over if they so chose. Out of this debacle we may be able to create opportunities some of these people may never have had.

[edit on 9/7/05 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Great black migration? perhaps, the reasoning is sound BUT I would hazard to say that there are hundreds of thousands of poor whites and hispanics and other ethnic mixes in the area as well (always has been) the creoles come immediately to mind as do the Indian and Chinese immigrents from the 19th century. After what I have seen on the media, I would suggest you are going to be seeing a huge migration in general out of the area. After all who is going to want to remain after what they have been through and run the risk of another strike and another government mismanagement of the whole affair? I know I wouldn't but then again you cannot discount attachment to place. It is a strong emotion.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
You know Fred that is what I said most of these refugees will go to other states and eventually find jobs and blend with the communities.

Now some may have the change to have something and make the best of the situation, others will do what they did stay the same and do nothing, those will eventually go back to NO.

But the hard working ones will get better and move on with their lives.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Whenever there is a new influx of people there seems to be a sentiment of resentment to that new population.

I wonder if that, coupled with the images of looting and stories of whites being beaten, will actually lead to an increase of racism in whatever area they move into.

[edit on 7-9-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
Whenever there is a new influx of people there seems to be a sentiment of resemtment to that new population.

I think that may depend on how it is handled. Some will no doubt as ignorance knows no race, creed, group, etc. I think most (I hope Most) will understand that the people raping and pillaging represented a tiny fraction of the NOLA population and most of the folks displaced are decent people untill they themselves prove otherwise.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
You are right Ace every state has his own poor white or black communities that are a burden to the state, specially now that poverty rates has been growing in the last few years.

Racism has always been part of any society any where in the world no only between races but social classes.

But we deal with it usually ignoring it until is knocking in our back yard.

I imagine that is going to be some that will take it to the extreme given the circumstances.

I will not be surprise to see groups of vigilantes watching over the refugees in the communities they have been moved too.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The resentment will be caused by those displaced who will choose not to intergrate back into society and prefer to live off the governments handouts. There will always be a faction that chooses to be supported and be a burden on the local populace. Those that are willing to start a new life and be a productive part of the local community will be accepted. There are at least 30 states accepting Katrina's victims, North Carolina being one. We have a very versified racial mix in NC and I do not see any problem with the victims finding a place here. Speaking for myself and my family, we welcome them with open arms. After all we are not talking about immigrants from another country, we are talking about Americans. Many of which who's ties go back several generations. If we cannot tolerate our own, then shame on us as a people!

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Yorga you are from NC, that was my first duty station as a young Marine wife my daughter was born in Lejeune.

NC have one of the biggest Marine corps base in the east, what area do you live in.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
One of my concerns is that the looting and the shooting in New Orleans is going to supply the KKK and like minded groups with enough ammunition to keep their current level of believers and possibly allow the recruitment of new members. One thing that is happening is that it is becoming popular to aid the refugees from Kitrina. I know that there are several companies in my area who are promising jobs to people relocated by Katrina. I am concerned that this might create resentment locally because there are still people unemployed from the flooding by Ivan that we had last year.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Yorga you are from NC, that was my first duty station as a young Marine wife my daughter was born in Lejeune.

NC have one of the biggest Marine corps base in the east, what area do you live in.

I am in Raleigh, NC. I know the base you speak of very well. I spent some time in the Naval Hospital there.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
One of my concerns is that the looting and the shooting in New Orleans is going to supply the KKK and like minded groups with enough ammunition to keep their current level of believers and possibly allow the recruitment of new members.

That may be true...But unfortunately, narrow-minded groups like this will always find some bare-bones purpose of keeping their ignorance alive and well-known...But you're right, there are going to be some off-shoots from these recent events...

I'm less worried about that - as it's always been an issue and always will be - but a little more concerned about the long-term effects on our economy - As if it really needed another strong blow...

Add to the mix our very stretched capacity in multiple aspects - Overpopulation and increased poverty do not mix well in our present national situation....Not to mention the poor crop performance - Farmers are having a hard enough time just trying to produce sufficient amounts of food during these very trying agricultural times...

A migration may not quite be the way to put it though....It's more like a "dispersal"....There's going to be a general outward fanning of these refugees into neighboring states - But I think as they become settled in and find a new home, they'll only add to the productivity of these cities...

My best wishes goes out to these people...

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I believe only a small number will be returning. After 6 months to a year, people have moved on and made new lives for themselves.

I also believe that katrina was the best thing to happen to those who had to leave, maybe they can break the cycle of poverty.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Here in Cape Cod, we got 2,500 now living in barracks at our base. I think its a good thing, and i plan to make a trip and bring them clothes and anything i can find.
Once they begin to scatter and look for housing and jobs here there's going to be a problem. See, about 7 years ago, the local government here decided to do away with "transients" and the rents are sky high- so high that many many people had to move to the main land because it was impossible to make ends meet here.
I wish them all well, they are fellow human beings and the vast majority are wonderful people. I can only hope they survive the cold cold winters here. Who knows, maybe they will thrive here with the governments help.
I would love to see the gov help them in every way, rather than give aid to those who have jobs and lie and get the handouts.
I wish them luck.

Isnt it weird that the closing of these bases coincided with this?

[edit on 7-9-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

I'm less worried about that - as it's always been an issue and always will be - but a little more concerned about the long-term effects on our economy - As if it really needed another strong blow...

Add to the mix our very stretched capacity in multiple aspects - Overpopulation and increased poverty do not mix well in our present national situation....Not to mention the poor crop performance - Farmers are having a hard enough time just trying to produce sufficient amounts of food during these very trying agricultural times...

A migration may not quite be the way to put it though....It's more like a "dispersal"....There's going to be a general outward fanning of these refugees into neighboring states - But I think as they become settled in and find a new home, they'll only add to the productivity of these cities...

My best wishes goes out to these people...

There will be a short term setback to the economy from this but in the long run the effect will be positive. Rebuilding always puts money back into circulation and has a positive effect on employment. Even if the city of New Orleans is not rebuilt the costs of repair to roads, bridges and commercial facilities will result in an increase of need of people in the skilled trades.
As far as food goes it shouldn't be an issue as a matter of fact it might be a help. The majority of grain is exported to other countries thru the port at New Orleans if that grain can't be exported that way they will probably ship it out thru the Great Lakes. This might actually result in a lowering of prices in the US.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Here in Cape Cod....

Dgtempe...I lived in New England for 20 years Maine specifically and moved only because of what king george 1st's ressession did to the economy up there and really want to move back. New England has always been fiscally conservative and socially liberal and I honestly believe that these refugees will be warmly welcomed up there. It was my experince that the cool yankee reserve was a pose to adopt while they checked you out, but once they decided you were OK, you made friends for life. Good luck to them all up there.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well the Great Black Migration involved alot more people than this. The NO evacuees are fewer in number and spread over a larger area, with a few exceptions like Houston (where I am). I think that in the end, the new population will make a minimal impact on the city. It's a large city...3 million people. I don't think 10-15,000 more people will make much of a difference. Alot of the people will probably go back as well, despite what some say.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Hmmm.

Migration implies choice. Seems to me that the poor are being herded, by ultimatum. No choice there.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I really think that once the evacuees feel the cold weather in the northern states they will leave, wouldn't blame them. Pehaps they'll stay long enough to find out if NO will rebuild for them. We are taking in only 150 in Syracuse NY. Don't know about the rest of the state. I feel they will get homesick. That will be a big factor.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Hopefully this will bring about some changes possibly opening the doors for some diaglogue on how to help the homeless as well.

The homeless of New Orleans will not go unnoticed so perhaps we can find some solutions in this migration that we can extend to other cities.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
``

In this item;
racerelations.about.com...
The former Mayor of New Orleans,
Mayor Marc Morial...who is now President of the Urban League,

brings up the term..."a second Black Migration"...

He also put the present circumstance in context with the Post WWI
massive migration of southern Blacks to areas in the North....
...a radical demographic shift....

call it whatever feels comfortable to you.
~~~~~~~~~~

the above hyperlink, actually came from a Google search:
New Orleans evacuation, migration

down about the 6th or so link has that, above posted, address
(i think you'll be directed thru "Dog Pile" as a long way there)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join