It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today, in Physics class

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hey I thought this was really really interesting so I wanted to share it with everyone. It has to do with anti-gravity.

Today, in Physics class my professor was talking about how over Memorial Day weekend he went to Santa Cruz. I live in Sacramento so it's about a four hour drive from here. Anyway, he went to a place called "The Mystery Spot" in the woods. He told us how scientists go out there frequently to try and explain what is going on but there is just no explanation. He seemed so confused by it that I decided to look it up as soon as I got home this morning.

Here is what the website says:

"The Mystery Spot is an area about 150 feet in diameter located in the redwood forests just outside of Santa Cruz, California. Within the Mystery Spot you will be baffled as the laws of physics and gravity cease to exist.

Discovered in 1939 and opened to the public in 1940, the Mystery Spot has amazed and perplexed hundreds of thousands of visitors from all over the world. Many return again to experience the puzzling variations in gravity, perspective, height and more.

Theories: Flying saucer fans speculate that cones of metal were secretly brought here and buried in our earth as guidance systems for their spacecraft. Other theories about what causes the Mystery Spot include carbon dioxide seeping out of the earth, the “highest dielectric biocosmic radiation” known anywhere in the world, and radiesthesia... whatever the cause is, it remains a mystery."

What do you all think? I tell you what... I am going to visit this place as soon as possible. Maybe in the next few weeks when my schedule is free and before the weather turns to crap I will drive down there and see what all the fuss is about. I'll be sure to take many pictures too.

This should be a fun trip.

In the mean time, check out the website - www.mysteryspot.com...

Enjoy.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Wow, now that I actually look into this, it seems like there is several these places around California (two near me). I think it's an even bigger mystery then I originally thought.

www.roadsideamerica.com...

"The world isn't yet ready for what goes on here"

- John Litster (a man who supposedly knew the secret of these places)

[edit on 9/6/2005 by superslicksh0es]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
There is a sucker born every minute.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
haha, I think they would only be suckers if it was one of those "fun houses" but after hearing what my professor said... how the water in a stream nearby was flowing uphill!! i think we are talking about something much more extreme. i have to see it for myself though.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
There's actually such places worldwide...usually called such names as "mystery hill" or "spook hill", etc. They're usually caused by forced perspective, with the unique geography tricking your eye into thinking a downslope looks uphill... When tested with survey equipment and other instruments, it becomes clear, but to the naked eye, it seems to defy what we know....

If this place is similar to many others, which I expect it is... Its still a damn freaky site though....

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Really now, I hope that isn't a college class you paid for.

If so, I would demand a refund or transfer.

It's all an optical illusion. They have them everywhere.

[edit on 6-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Guys, geez.....that's a bit harsh don't you think??? There's a reason many flock to such places, and it is a strange phenomenon... Let's cut down on the insults, hmm???

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Guys, geez.....that's a bit harsh don't you think??? There's a reason many flock to such places, and it is a strange phenomenon... Let's cut down on the insults, hmm???

Your right and I forget what it is to be young and full of wonder in my cynical old age.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Your right and I forget what it is to be young and full of wonder in my cynical old age.

Even tho I refer to myself as an "old hippy", I guess I never really got old - I can still go to these places and kackle like a 10 year old........hmm, does that mean I'm actually senile and think I AM 10?

Misfit

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I went there several years ago and it's all an optical illusion.

All the walkways, buildings etc. are built at angles into the hills so when you think you are walking on level ground your not.

When you are walking down a walkway or standing inside a building your mind assumes you are on level ground, therfore if you are not, bowling balls appear to roll uphill and water will look like it's flowing uphill too.

This place has been around since the mid 70's and it's nothing but a tourist trap.

I would rate it right up there with Reptile Gardens in Rapid City SD and Harold Rapps Pioneer Village in Nebraska.

I'm supprised there isn't a Stuckey's next door.

kc0jfy

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kc0jfy

I would rate it right up there with Reptile Gardens in Rapid City SD and Harold Rapps Pioneer Village in Nebraska.

I'm supprised there isn't a Stuckey's next door.

kc0jfy

BearCity, USA is better than Reptile Gardens, and don't forget Wall Drug!

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kc0jfy
This place has been around since the mid 70's

70's?? try... the 30's. and it was opened to the public in the 40's.

i didn't think it was one of those fun houses. i didn't even know it had buildings. i just thought it was a forest area with distorted gravity due to something in the ground.

so i really don't appreciate all this crap... and the carnival pictures, come on.

from what i read, compasses seem to go haywire in the area. that is the main reason why the whole "fun house" thing did not even register in my mind.

so i'm sorry for wasting your time.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
We have that in Movie World here, on the Gold Coast, called "Einstein's House". The place is extremely warped, though once you're inside it it seems natural - until you see the water flowing "up".

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
My intention was not to flame anyone but I'm supprised your Physics Proffesor wasn't able to see through the illusion.

By the way, I forgot about the world's largest ball of twine in Darwin MN and Paul Bunyan Park in Brainerd Minnesota.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It's FAKE! For tourists to waste money on!
Geez how many people have to tell ya?

Mystery Spot is a tourist attraction located in Santa Cruz, California in the United States. The operators of the small site (which is about 150 feet in diameter) claim that it is a place where the laws of physics and gravity do not apply, and provide a number of interesting demonstrations in support of these claims.

Several of the phenomena demonstrated by the tour guides (and by visitors using levels) could be construed as rather difficult to explain. Two people standing on opposite sides of a level surface appear to change height, and a ball will roll to one direction on the same surface.

Spoiler warning: Plot or ending details follow.

The phenomena that visitors to the Mystery Spot may experience result from the effects of forced perspective, optical adaptation, and certain optical illusions in combination with the steep gradient of the site. That is, the situation inside a Mystery Spot is arranged in some way so that the visitors don't feel that the site's gradient is actually steep (the site is actually tilted, that is), despite the fact that it is.

As visitors travel through the site they habituate to this gradient. The effects of this adaptation are then exploited, especially within closed structures, so that visitors may feel as though gravity does not operate as it should in the Mystery Spot.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.sandlotscience.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This sounds similar to a place in Korea, where balls go uphill and it's difficult to walk uphill but easy to walk downhill. I think a member mentioned it somewhere. Whatever, those pictures, just by looking at them I can tell they're fake.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
We have a place here called Magnetic Hill which is the same principal. You can sit in your car and roll 'uphill' quite fun. But alas, an illusion

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disaster_Boy
We have a place here called Magnetic Hill which is the same principal. You can sit in your car and roll 'uphill' quite fun. But alas, an illusion

yea thats in new brunswick, canada? i visited and i found the ''hill'' to be actually a dirt road not longer than 300feets, pretty deceiving. And its surrounded by a zoo and some crap stores.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted byXar Ke Zeth
We have that in Movie World here, on the Gold Coast, called "Einstein's House". The place is extremely warped, though once you're inside it it seems natural - until you see the water flowing "up".

I went there ages ago when it was about that Yahoo Serious guy, I think that's his name. That was about 5 or 6 years ago though, so I suspect it would be a bit different.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I haven't actually checked out that house in quite some time either. A friend of mine said they removed it or something.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join