It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reactions of people to alternative opinion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Through my experience i have noticed that most people react with pure defense of their belief when presented with anotehr opinion, instead of considering the opinion they get all defensive and try attacking it or saying how their belief is better, anyone else notice this? it sure don't lash out at ppl with different opinions i am more than interested in hearing what they have to say and then i consider it and then i compare it to my beliefs. I find it moreso in those who cannot defend their beliefs, the ones with the manufactured consent, and then i was doing a lil stuff and i came across a website about the nwo programming whats known as brain slides into people, where they get defensive n their critical thought process is turned off by the irrationality of being angered(educate-yourself.org... about 1/3 the way down) has anyone got any knowledge about this?
i'm not sure if i think it's just cuz ppl are ignorant in general or because of what i said

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 01:54 PM
link   
If you're talking of religion, it's mostly because people consider an attack on their religion, as a personal attack on their gullibility, and therefore, immediately go on the defensive and start raving.

Just look at the Religion forum, and you'll see that the first ones to get all hot, bothered, and fired up at someone, are those who adamantly adhere to an organized religion....

It's not just for religion though. Any strongly held belief is fair game. To attack that belief (in many's eyes), is to attack the person's intelligence and competence, and thus forces them into a defensive stance, versus one of listening to your arguement objectively....

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
i would assume is the cause for such actions... as an adult with a healthy ego i love when i get into intelligent healthy debates.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 02:15 PM
link   
lol i wouldn't say it's an dult thing i know many ppl whom lash out at me just when i present my opinion, because it's against theirs, far more than merely adults, and i am but 17 and i haven't this "childish logic" of which u speak

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Well said Gazrok.

Beware of anyone who claims to ask for other peoples' opinions. What they really mean is "support my opinion".

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
on the contrary i ask for peoples opinions because i want to know them, and i dun put much of my beliefs into responses about their beliefs unless i'm prompted to, when i'm discussing someones beliefs with them i like to challenege the thought which give them their beliefs, not the belief itself, i want to know what makes ppl believe what they do, and everyon just lashes out lol, silly ppl and their assuming i'm gonna tell'em their wrong, why do pppl assume all this stupid junk, ppl are always jumping to the conclusion that when u want their opinion u are jus trying to change thier minds, but why? and why lash out, just say, my mind won't be changed and i dun wanna discuss it, instead of freakin out n becoming aggressive without justification, i'm not out to make someone uncomfortable or feel threatened, i like to know why ppl think as they do cuz it seems so #ed up to think differently than i do, but thats cuz i'm me, i know i ppl think differently and i accept that lol silly silly ppl

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It's not like it's a strange phenomenon that people have to be brainwashed to do that. It's a natural human instinct from way back. We have to always be right, or we have to be the best. I remember a story about a portugeese expedition to africa, and when they found the ruins of ancient Timbuktu, they theorized that it was the ruins from a large group of europeans that came to africa long before them. If that's not a gross showing of the sheer arrogance humans are subject to, then I dun know what is. So, when you think about it, it's not all that unlikely that when you insult or question someone's beliefs, or ideas/theories, they get defensive, and in turn try to debase any ideas that you may have. That's all. Peace.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hey, i'm in agreement with you. I wasn't implying you in particular.

But in general as Gazrok said, particularly in the Religion forum, some people can't handle another person's opinion. Very sad indeed.

new topics

top topics

join