It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cars with your pc ;)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infidellic
Ermn, ok I realise you probably aren't using windows and are some Linux techie (I really ought to look into Linux), however, even then wouldn't it take a wihle for the system to start up (HDD to wind up and load stuff etc) in the mean time you car will have no engine management and no audio, or am I really not seeing the point?

The EMS does readouts and tuning on the fly, but the car can start with its chips rom no problem.

And I used to use Windows XP for it, booted in about 10 seconds, but the EMS and RAID5 setup without a RAID5 controller and some other things went much smoother under linux. Not to mention that with linux I can tune and tweak and strip the OS to be pritty much like an embedded system specificaly designed for the car without all the bells and whistles Windows or your general Linux distro brings.

And btw, boottime is irrelevant, when normal booting a stripped Windows or Linux system, you can have it all up and running in like 10 seconds.

Next to that, you ever heard of hybernation on PC's?
It takes 2 seconds to fully start when I start it from a hybernation state(which is 99% of the time) and since the startup signal for the system is given when I unlock the car, its booted before I even get to sit in the car.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I love hiberation, I just never use it, if I turn my carputer on while I'm driving, it's likely for a long trip, if I stop to eat, hibernation it goes!

You're really serious in this, I just use mine for GPS, music, and wardriving if need be.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Not specificaly about carputers, more serious with computers and electronics in general.

Some of my family members sometimes call me Q ...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yea, but I'm pretty serious into computer stuff, but I don't have the money or resources to be getting my PC to bootup when I unlock the friggin doors, wow!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Erm, why would you asume that even costs anything?
You only have to OR, hook up the wires to the power on to an existing cirquit in the car that has 2 states, the car is closed or open, or put the PC poweron switch somewhere in the car so that it gets switched when you open the car.

I have it hooked so that when alarm = off, PC is on, when alarm = on, PC goes to hybernation.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
that all sounds cool i may have to find a way to hide everything away as said before i could put the box under the front passenger seat

as for touch screens etc they can easily be seen to capture a theifs attention any ideas?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   
You can either build them into the dashboard so that its hard to take them out, or use slideins, theres quite a few LCD's that have a slidein mechanisme that alows you to automaticly or manualy turn the LCD horizontal and then slide it into the dashboard.

Alot of the full package type DVD, GPS and auto PC systems have the LCD slide into the system itself. What I dislike about that is that they can just take the entire thing out of your car like they can do with a car radio.

I know a couple of guys that use detachable LCD's and always take them with them when they exit the car.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
ok that sounds cool it seems more and more easier to get a laptop and somehow connect it up to my car speakers

top topics

<< 1   >>

join