It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new Mac laptop questions?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
looking to get a new mac laptop - older one will be going to DH to replace this OLD piece of junk he is now using.

Which would you recommend a powerbook or and iBook - what is needed to go with it - pretty much hardware or software wise? i am looking at a 17 inch powerbook right now and on the fence -- what are the differences between iBook and powerbook (I know powerbook has G4 -but what does that mean exactly)

I have had Mac's forever -- the iBook I am on right now is about 7 yrs old and the one going in for repair (cursor problem) is 3 yrs old so you can see I don't buy often so I want to get the most for my money that will last me a long time.

thanks - and please make answers in super basic easy language.....

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I am using iBook with Mac OS X 10.3.9

I have a 600 MHZ PowerPC G3 Processor with 640 MB SDRAM

If you want the hightech stuff, buy a PowerBook of the new generation, pretty fast and reliable. But expensive. Mac OS X Tiger! (with newest X-Version)

If you need to save a little bit money, you can buy a iBook (note: Not PowerBook) of the NEW generation...About 1,2 GHZ. I think that would be okay for you. I would recommend this.

Just check the Apple website for details.

regards

dc

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hi justme1640

dacruz pretty much summed it up.

Let me say, if you can afford it, get a Powerbook 15.2"

Also, i have a couple of mates that say the 17" Powerbook is awesome, but gets pretty hot.

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
Also, i have a couple of mates that say the 17" Powerbook is awesome, but gets pretty hot.

Yeah, the HD of my iBook gets pretty hot too

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Yeah I noticed on my newer iBook (the one going in for repair) that the HD gets pretty warm - sounds like maybe a common thing huh? I hate spending money but when I do I want the most for it ya know?

What is the difference between G4 and G3 do you know? I won't be doing tons of graphics on it (although I will use the picture program for my camera) beause my nephew owns a camera/photo place and he can do more there than I could. But I might like to be able to play around a bit with some pics for avatars etc.

Also do you know of any advatage of going thru Apple Store over say MacMall?

Thanks for all the help.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Definately go with a PowerBook, but wait til September when the new models come out (Faster CPU, and better RAM support). Or if you wanna wait til summer/late 2006 for the Mactel PowerBooks (which I will probaly get come college time).

[edit on 9-6-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Definately go with a PowerBook, but wait til September when the new models come out (Faster CPU, and better RAM support). Or if you wanna wait til summer/late 2006 for the Mactel PowerBooks (which I will probaly get come college time).

[edit on 9-6-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

Wait!!! Don't you understand the concept of immediate gratification?! Heck I can hardly wait for the one going in for repair to come back

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I shoulda said LATER September, cuz it totally skipped my mind that it is infact September now. If you wait it wouldnt be long, probaly 2-3 weeks.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
have you heard what the actual differences will be in the newer powerbooks coming out in a few weeks? Like in actual numbers for comparison? I noticed there was a recall for the batteries in the iBook G4 anyone know anything about that?

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
looks like I will go with a 15 inch powerbook -- and it may be the new one you were talking about as it isn't available immediately like the others. Have a few questions to ask the sales rep tomorrow before final decision. If it isn't going to see if I can talk the price down a bit more. Always worth a try I say.

I would love to go the whole way for the 17 inch but I have to compromise a bit at least so it will be an upgrade from what I currently have but not what I drool over in the catalogs.

Have to laugh the past two trucks we got were because I was left them to drive when DH went away and I made him go get a new truck right after it -- now I use his computer and am ordering a new one -- but this time I get the new one -- when I give him mine he still gets a major upgrade from this piece of history that should go to a museum.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Well if you are going with Mac buy the most expensive one you can, if you want more then a paperweight go with a real computer, mainly AMD Athlon 64-bit PC laptop if you can find one. Go with Linux, not Mac,

[edit on 8-9-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jestaman
...if you want more then a paperweight go with a real computer, mainly AMD Athlon 64-bit PC laptop if you can find one.

"Real Computer"?? WTF does this mean?

I mean, MAC OS X is "real" 'cause it's UNIX based, my friend...Whatever, just wanted to say this, no affront to you

yours faithfully

dc

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Jestaman thanks for your opinion I do appreciate your taking the time and thought to answer. But that said I will stick with my Macs - I am very happy with them and have not had any regrets in the past with them.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
What you need it for? If you want to play games do not get a Mac! You can't play Far Cry, and really if the computer can't do that what point is there in having it? Well C&C games are fun, but again no Mac playing for the new ones.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
hi Jestaman -- I don't play many games -- basically solitare, word games, jigsaw, and I can do all of them on a Mac. So that isn't something that enters the equation for me. I am mainly online, doing word processing, putting some books on to read, iTunes, iPhoto stuff like that.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jestaman
but again no Mac playing for the new ones.

You people are so funny.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Why do you guy like so much Mac laptops? There are so much more laptop better then that( well for me)

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11undercover11

Why do you guy like so much Mac laptops? There are so much more laptop better then that( well for me)

Well for me - I have had Macs forever as my personal computers at home -- used different ones at work and had lots of problems -- have almost no problems with Macs - and when I have had I have been able to fix most of them myself. In 15 years I have only had to send in my computer 2 times. And I have had one battery charger problem that was fixed with a new charger sent overnight.

But I am sure others have had different experiences - mine have been great.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11undercover11

As "justme1640" said. Mac's are more reliable. Better support, and the dev. of the Operating Systems is constantly updated. It's really worth the money to spend a bit more for your Mac, instead for a PC.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
got my new 15 inch powerbook and am using it now now comes the fun learning curve

Thanks for all the ideas and helping me with my decision. I think DH will be glad to have my iBook when he sees how much better is is than his old one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join