It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: He Held Their Lives in His Tiny Hands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
In the mist of the chaos that was the Katrina aftermath, an unlikely hero emerged. Walking down Causeway Boulevard, leading five toddlers and holding a 5 month old baby, 6 year old Deamonte Love kept track of this pack. Rescuers have been touched by this group of seven children that were found wandering in New Orleans. To date parents have reported 220 children missing in the aftermath.

www.latimes.com
BATON ROUGE, La. — In the chaos that was Causeway Boulevard, this group of refugees stood out: a 6-year-old boy walking down the road, holding a 5-month-old, surrounded by five toddlers who followed him around as if he were their leader.

They were holding hands. Three of the children were about 2 years old, and one was wearing only diapers. A 3-year-old girl, who wore colorful barrettes on the ends of her braids, had her 14-month-old brother in tow. The 6-year-old spoke for all of them, and he told rescuers his name was Deamonte Love.

Thousands of human stories have flown past relief workers in the last week, but few have touched them as much as the seven children who were found wandering together Thursday at an evacuation point in downtown New Orleans. In the Baton Rouge headquarters of the rescue operation, paramedics tried to coax their names out of them; nurses who examined them stayed up that night, brooding.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have a three year old and I can not imagine what I would be feeling if I had to report my child missing under these circumstances. For Deamonte it may turn out okay as he knew his address for it should be easy to get his parents names or relatives. But what about the infant or the toddlers? How would my son be able to tell people why his mom or dad was. I am not an overly emotional person, but this story brought a tear to my eye.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Isn't it funny how in times of need like this the kids are the hero's? I don't know why, maybe because they haven't been corrupted by greed and hate yet. Either way I'm glad to hear about kids helping eachother out in such a time of need. To think that a six year old is being cool and rational enough to lead these toddlers and care for a five month old is something you don't hear about every day.

However I must say it is very sad that many of these children will be seperated from their parents for longer than I could imagine. And to think many will never see their parents again. I'm not old enough to be a parent but if I had kids I can't imagine myself handling it very well.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
as a new parent in the last few weeks that story really hits home that kid is a hero

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ryan25
as a new parent in the last few weeks that story really hits home that kid is a hero

Congrats
Most fun I have ever had and scared at the same time worring about this and that. Hopefully all the kids will be reunited

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
thanks fredt your right im scared to hold her most of the time!!! but it opes a whole new world

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
this story touches me somewhere deep in my heart

one child 6 years old walking down the devasted streets of NO seeing other kids who are lost and dont know what todo decides make a "pack" and start surviving good job Deamonte your place in heaven is reserved

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I wonder if the children were from a day care, I saw in the news that in Biloxi it was children in day care waiting to be claim by their parents and after a week they were still waiting.

I guess It will be many children separated from their parents all over.

I remember a women that went into labor in NO downtown and she was taken away but nobody gave attention to her baby child that she left behind until she was gone.

I hope that everybody that got separated will be reunited soon.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
How approriate that his name was Love.....surely those little ones must have other gardian angels as well.

What could have happened to their parents, surely they would not have abandoned them.....for the six year old to have such a caring heart, he must have had parents that were the same. I pray they are able to be reunited.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Ive sat here waiting for more than 7 people to respond to a post that In my personal opinion I thought would explode. A band of children working together to survive coming out of such hell and other people want to talk about "official death tolls", "NO man charged for shooting at helicopter", "saddam hussein confesses to crimes!"...... A group of children coming out of this HELL together is sidelined by these stupid topics??

[edit on 6-9-2005 by madmangunradio]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this, Fred. I hope the good lord takes care of them, and they are re-united with their parents and they go on to have a nice life.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   

How would my son be able to tell people why his mom or dad was.

The media has been amazing in this regard in the wake of Katrina. I am usually pretty down on them, but they have really raised the bar in their efforts to unite families seporated in this horrible disaster. On and off the camera, reporters have been talking with people who have lost their children, or else making public photos and video footage of children who have lost their parents. They have gone through a lot of video footage, in the case of the parents, trying to see if they have video of their missing children, aired or otherwise. It has really been amazing.

You know, with everything that failed in the wake of this disaster, the group I would have least expected to managed to shine in such a way that has really touched me, as I'm sure it has touched countless other Americans both directly effected and indirectly.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Madmangunradio

I also thought the "news" that Saddam "confessed" (sure) was so out of place...the shots, the bs...
I'm afraid each day we're going to stare in disbeleif at what happens and what other tid-bit news they'll throw in as to sidetrack people and instead of having one huge catastrophe, they'll divy it up into mini problems..

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
"The 6-year-old spoke for all of them, and he told rescuers his name was Deamonte Love."

god bless him.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Side track? Katrina has been horrible, true, but other events are taking place throughout the world despite. Personally, I think our news agencies have had blinders on through this. It's been wall to wall coverage of Katrina with the occasional tidbit about a horrible plane crash, a most wanted terrorist being taken out in Saudi Arabia, and Saddam. True, the confession is...well, duh. But it's still news; the guy actually admitted to it, which in America would never happen with a legal defendant who would probably face the death penalty admission or no.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
please lets stay on topic this thread was about a child leading children out of this chaos. There are alot of threads already out there about that junglejake.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
JJ, where can we get the confession? Is it up on the internet? I'd like to see it for myself.
Thank you

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Why are the major news services out there not covering this?

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Ive checked all the major networks; msnbc,foxnews,cnn,reuters.. what am I missing here.. this is an amazing story but Im not seeing it anywhere else?!

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Sadly, if you watch the mainstream news enough you'll find that they don't like to report good news. Good news equals less ratings, which means less reporting.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Thank you Fred.

Leave it to the children to bring us light out of darkness and despair.

<<   2 >>

join