It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commercial sunblocks are gender benders?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Why do these companies add estrogen to their sunblocks?

www.skinbiology.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Wow man, don't you just love capitalism? Estrogen, Flouride, Pthalates, Lead, Mercury, Teflon... Hell if they think you will buy it they don't give a good damn what's in it. There's always that Contributory Negligence, I mean you trust your FDA and your medical and pharmaceutical industry even if you don't know that Flouride is poisonous, you choose to ingest it. Gag.
Great Thread and link by the way.
Like I have said before, Capitalism is a great system, IF you have capital. Otherwise, Get back to work!

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
This is why its better to just wear a shirt, you avoid having to use nasty chemicals and still can go out in the sun. It doesnt cook you, no need to buy sunblock, and you really dont look goofy. A white shirt is the smartest way to protect your skin.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raideur
This is why its better to just wear a shirt, you avoid having to use nasty chemicals and still can go out in the sun. It doesnt cook you, no need to buy sunblock, and you really dont look goofy. A white shirt is the smartest way to protect your skin.

A million or so Australian skin cancer sufferers might disagree with you there, Raideur.

Clothing alone will not prevent skin cancer, sadly. It'd be great if they did.

They just don't

There's a pretty good article here about it though; nifty factoids.

Anyway.

The article itself doesn't say that estrogen is added to sunblocks. The article appears to be falling into the old - and effective - trap of trying to induce fear.

It's commenting on certain chemicals which may (or, as the article also says, may not) be present in certain sunblocks, which have an estrogenic effect.

many widely-used sunscreen chemicals mimic the effects of estrogen

(emphasis mine)

Then it lists the effects of estrogen. We know the effects of estrogen. We know too much is generally a very bad thing. But there's just nothing in there stating that companies have been secretly adding estrogen to sunscreens.

It just seems like the article is doing a little more in terms of scaremongering than it is in terms of actually showing a direct link between sunscreen and estrogen-related problems (other than the one or two studies performed in rats, which are important - this obviously does need more research).

The other part of the site which caught my attention was this:

Estrogenic sunscreen chemicals might explain most
of the social changes in California over the past 30 years."
A California customer

I'm sorry - that's just...silly.

The site is trying to sell it's own Skin Biology products; that alone makes me think their own agenda is a little less altruistic than they might present...

[edit on 6-9-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'll stick to heavy metals like Zinc-Oxide thank you very much.

of course the Nano-particulate version that absorbs and disappears giving the skin and internal organs a good healthy 'glow'

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The "umbrella" description of what they are talking about is endocrine disruptors.

They are nasty pasties!

Endocrine disruptors basically disrupt your hormonal system and can turn you from a "boy" into a "girl" - literally!

Here's a reputable link:

observer.guardian.co.uk...

Cheers

JS

[edit on 6-9-2005 by jumpspace]

new topics

top topics

join