It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just got back from a FEMA Detainment Camp

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
seems like attention may have delayed something in this case...

gosh val..maybe you did stumble into a fema detention facility. as evacuees/refugesare id'd..they will be 'undesirables' around. maybe fema wants a place to put them, rather that let them sit in local jails. this area would be a perfect place..very secluded.

if i am reading the articles right...they say they are not using the camp? but your friend saw busses in camp, but i don't recall him seeing any 'evacuees'......

More details on that. He stated he saw about 10 buses total. 2 of those were large charter buses and the others were "smaller", but larger than school buses - these buses were white and he didn't see any kind of markings on them. I asked him if they were the Falls Creek shuttle buses (which are old school buses painted white and have "Falls Creek Shuttle" painted on the side and front). He said "No! No, They weren't Falls Creek buses, and they were bigger than those.) He states he saw some where between 50 and 100 people standing in a rather scattered fashion, but in the same general area. Almost all of these people were african-american and they were loitering about as if they were waiting for something to happen....i.e. they weren't "doing anything" like they were workers or such. 50 to 100 people would be just about right for two greyhound buses - especially if people had any belongings with them.

[edit on 9-8-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Val, I saw one of those type of busses for the first time in my life the other day I believe headed toward's Route 28 more than likely towards Pittsburgh. It was all white with no markings. It was longer than a 72 passanger bus with black windows on the sides. It even seemed longer than than the newer 84 passanger busses. It looked like it was lower than a regular bus. It reminded me of a limo. It almost looked like they took a long amtrak train and put regular wheels on it. It was all sleek and smooth.

Because the windows were so dark, I do not know if there were any passangers on it or if it was running empty. I haven't seen another one since. These might be some type of special busses FEMA are using, or maybe just a new bus design that most of us haven't seen before.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Keep up the great work people. This thread represents many attributes of ATS membership at its finest.

The interest in this thread has been very intense. We're currently experiencing the highest guest traffic in the history of ATS, beginning at about noon yesterday. And this morning, someone posted a snippet and link on BoingBoing (caution, ads on BoingBoing may not be "work safe")

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well,

I have been trough several posts on this forum and read twice this information, I can only say that there's something going on, "riots" they say, for crying out loud, they're bringing people there, not animals. Besides, they are human beings with the hability to think right? So, by saying that "...they are not going to be allowed to use kitchens because of fire hazard..." I beg your pardon you all powerful FEMA know-it-alls, what did this people cook on before this disaster? wood and fire on their frontyards? Have they never used a stove or kitchen apliances before? Geez... Hittler would be proud of them, really. Come on, these people lived in New Orleans for many many time, as far as I know nobody ever beat up its neighboor just because they decided to have a steak on a sunday afternoon while they had a hotdog or a hamburger or a salad. Please!! Come to think about it. As FEMA sees it, these people ate all the same thing everyday, that's why New Orleans was such a nice place... GOOD GOD. Tell me, what did you had today for lunch? What did your neighboor next door? Let's say you had chicken and potatoes, let's say your neighboor had salad and toast. I guess you won't see your neighboor come and knock you senseless because you had chicken and they didn't. right?

Can't go out? Why? What's their felony? Losing everything they hard worked to get because of a natural disaster? Well, guess we didn't knew until now that this is a federal offense, so the next time there's a hurricane, an earthquake or a volcano incident and you lose all of your possesions be careful, you and your family probably be on the FBI's and your local police "Most Wanted" list.

I think this should go out to the media, and SOMEONE should give a reasonable and very detailed explanation about this. What I have read here today is really unbelievable, there's a lot of people needing help, needing food, clothes, medicines, counseling, but no, FEMA said: "Thank you but we don't need your help". Guess they're pretty wealthy so they can do everything on their own... or pretty stupid and have no idea of what the hell they are doing!!!

I'll choose the last one, you say which you choose. To this person who did this report, good work. It's time someone shows the reality.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
SO
Server upgrades became a self-fulfilling prophecy, eh? You guys caused the flooding, didn't you, to test the servers? I'm sure of it.
(I had to claim ONE original wild theory before this thing resolves itself)

Doom

I have been trough several posts on this forum and read twice this information, I can only say that there's something going on, "riots" they say, for crying out loud, they're bringing people there, not animals.

There may indeed be something going on. I thought at first that it could be medical experiments, but now I'm not so sure.

And for the record, people are animals.

Besides, they are human beings with the hability to think right?

I can already tell, one paragraph into your rant, that you give the human race, as a whole, entirely too much credit.

So, by saying that "...they are not going to be allowed to use kitchens because of fire hazard..." I beg your pardon you all powerful FEMA know-it-alls, what did this people cook on before this disaster? wood and fire on their frontyards? Have they never used a stove or kitchen apliances before?

People do some incredibly stupid stuff, honestly, you'd be amazed. Landlords can tell you, it's a nightmare sometimes. Some people are very inconsiderate of others, and seemingly oblivious to the consequences of their actions. It's not all of us, but it's a large enough contingent to insure problems at every turn.

I think the issue may have been with the church, not being able to get their insurance to cover the use of stoves by refugees, but I have no way of knowing. It could very well be FEMA trying to protect themselves from a lawsuit.

It could be something more sinister, but I'm leaning towards a simpler explanation at the moment.

Geez... Hittler would be proud of them, really.

That's taking it a little too far. This is a far cry from the death camps. If we get to that stage, I'll be the first to admit it, but we aint there yet.

Come on, these people lived in New Orleans for many many time, as far as I know nobody ever beat up its neighboor just because they decided to have a steak on a sunday afternoon while they had a hotdog or a hamburger or a salad.

Not to pry, but have you ever lived in a heavily populated urban area? People have been killed for dollars, CENTS, shoes, bikes, jackets, TEETH, and yes, food.

I personally think the rule is a bad idea. Most rules are. However, I also take exception to your claim that there will definitely not be riots. There very well could be, regardless of the food situation.

Please!! Come to think about it. As FEMA sees it, these people ate all the same thing everyday, that's why New Orleans was such a nice place... GOOD GOD. Tell me, what did you had today for lunch? What did your neighboor next door? Let's say you had chicken and potatoes, let's say your neighboor had salad and toast. I guess you won't see your neighboor come and knock you senseless because you had chicken and they didn't. right?

It's pretty silly, yeah. Probably nothing bad would happen because of outside food, probably. However, it is possible. But, like I said, I still think people should be able to donate food. Did you hear about all that beef that spoiled because FEMA never went to pick it up? I read something about that the other day...

Can't go out? Why? What's their felony? Losing everything they hard worked to get because of a natural disaster? Well, guess we didn't knew until now that this is a federal offense, so the next time there's a hurricane, an earthquake or a volcano incident and you lose all of your possesions be careful, you and your family probably be on the FBI's and your local police "Most Wanted" list.

They can go out. If they do, they can't come back in. I think this is probably designed to limit FEMA's culpability when its 'charges' are 'off-base.' I believe FEMA could be held liable, and by extension the federal government could be held liable, if one of the people under their care were to die due to some preventable negligence on the part of the feds.

Now, that being said, I disagree completely with the policy. I think it's a recipe for disaster. This is going to get worse before it gets better, I'm pretty sure.

I would have no problem with this rule if the evacuations weren't mandatory, but they are! So these people are being forced to leave, and then forced into confinement, or forced into exile. They have three bad choices, basically.

I think we know one thing for sure, the number of transients just increased by several thousand, if not several hundred thousand. Transients are like bug spray against government roaches, the Gov. can't keep track of these people, can't suck them dry, can't control them, or influence them with culture trends and 'pop' everything. The government doesn't want those people to be transients, so it's going to do everything in its power to keep them within an ordered system. (This is where the camps come in)

Again, I disagree completely with the decision to keep these people hostage in remote areas. However, I can appreciate the rationale behind the decision. It's a much different set of parameters when you try to look at the question from the standpoint of the government.

I think this should go out to the media, and SOMEONE should give a reasonable and very detailed explanation about this.

If it should, it will. People will take the time to do something about the situation..or they won't. Apathy is at all time highs in America right now, so this may all go off without a hitch for the government. We'll see...

What I have read here today is really unbelievable, there's a lot of people needing help, needing food, clothes, medicines, counseling, but no, FEMA said: "Thank you but we don't need your help".

Yeah, the refusal to accept donations is mind-boggling. It's gotta be a liability issue, because I can't think of another good explanation. They're talking about riots, but I think they're really concerned about something else. Not sure what yet...

Guess they're pretty wealthy so they can do everything on their own... or pretty stupid and have no idea of what the hell they are doing!!!

Yeah, FEMA is a grossly engorged leech on the budget, all part of this collossal security apparatus that's developed a mind of its own. People would be much better off depending on themselves, but it's a decision everyone has to make for themselves.

Some people like being slaves to their own creation, for whatever reason.

I think another issue that needs discussing is the current state of the media, with all their info-tainment and news-operas, it's past the point of ridiculous, and bordering on the insulting.

Journalists haven't disappeared, the market for their product has. The news somehow got it in their head that they had to compete with video games, movies, and sitcoms. Journalism isn't even really for the people of this day and age, it's for history. Journalists have a responsibility to history, and the vast majority understand the profound nature of their job. It's the media outlets that have lost all respect for history, lost all respect for themselves.

Everyone dropped their respectability in a mad scramble for ratings and advertising dollars. The journalists remain, the desire for truth remains, but the audience is lost in the wilderness of entertainment.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I just want you all to know I just turned down an interview with NPR about this story. I wanted you to know so that you would understand that people do listen to us. And we do have a voice. And we can make a difference. I also wanted to say how grateful I am that NPR was willing to give me the opportunity to discuss this. I'm sorry that I couldn't do it though. NPR couldn't afford me anonymity and I just don't feel personally comfortable with discussing this in my real name.

I hope everybody understands.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Hey guys,

I just want you all to know I just turned down an interview with NPR about this story. I wanted you to know so that you would understand that people do listen to us. And we do have a voice. And we can make a difference. I also wanted to say how grateful I am that NPR was willing to give me the opportunity to discuss this. I'm sorry that I couldn't do it though. NPR couldn't afford me anonymity and I just don't feel personally comfortable with discussing this in my real name.

Totally understandable Val.

Gone are the days of anonymity!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I do.
No problem.

NPR and the rest of the press can go have a look for themselves and conduct a few off camera interviews.

You got the word out.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

NPR couldn't afford me anonymity and I just don't feel personally comfortable with discussing this in my real name.

Of course. Besides, you've already gone above and beyond in my books.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
These camps are soooo un-American, but are they. Unfortunately America has a history of rounding people up and herding them into camps[Gitmo], or reservations[Indians], interment camps[Japanese during WWII]...this Sucks.

Why are they treating these people as if they are prisoners? They are Americans, They have rights, or at least they used to.

This kinda crap needs to stop!

Good Thread Valhal quote: You have voted Valhall for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month. twice

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This thread is certainly getting lots of attention.

Just try running a Google search fema camp

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Hey guys,

Good work anyway.

Just keep it up, and someday we will all be able to speak freely - using our real names.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Since the contact was made I have edited out the post

[edit on 8-9-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yeah a posted a few links to this thread on myspace yesterday. They have been talking about this over there too.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Okay - will do.

*Same here*

[edit on 8-9-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Just saw this thread linked on Alternet's homepage..

And a ton of personal blogs as well.. awesome!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Great report Val, you got my vote for Way Above.

I hope this dosen't come out wrong, but I hope this isn't true. If it is, then the # has not just hit the fan, but the cow itself has. I fear that your report may be accurate, since one of the guys who is going to my school (Quite a few are, they are in the Frank Irwan Center if memory serves) after the disaster said something about "Not being let out of the cabin he was in" before he got to the Irwan Center. He seemed kinda spooked by it, and mentioned that they didn't have nearly enough food and clothes where he was.

Now, this could just be PTSD on his part, which I feel is fully possible. But he seemed pretty sure that the cabin ground him and his family was stationed on wasn't supplied adequatly or well managed. He said that FEMA personell were in new uniforms and using stuff that looked like it was fresh out of the box though.

I suspect that the reason that FEMA is asking for cash is because its a 'charitable cause' and therby bypasses quite a few tax laws. It seems like it would actaully be easier for someone to give them a $1000 check as opposed to a wad of $20's. But nope, they prefer good ol' pure, almost untracable cash.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
shoot.

I was going to take a look at the newspapers Website..
Is it alright to mention the name of that reporter's Newspaper?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
shoot.

I was going to take a look at the newspapers Website..
Is it alright to mention the name of that reporter's Newspaper?

Daily Oklahoman

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Thanks Val..
Looks like you have to register to see..I'll do it later..

I've seen some accounts of this camp being told to "stand down"
Is that what you are hearing?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join