It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chernobyl Death Toll 57 - Lower Than Expected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The official death toll from the Chernobyl Nuclear accident in 1986 stands at 57, much lower than the expected figure, although the final figure is projected to be in the thousands. The figures were released in "The Chernobyl Forum Report" which includes the International Atomic Energy Agency, The World health Organization, The Governments of Belarus, Russia and ukraine along with The World bank. Around 4000 people contracted cancer immediately after the disaster including rescue teams and staff at the Chernobyl plant but officials put the survival rate of those cancers at 99 percent. Greenpeace has publicly challenged the report saying figures and information were omitted from the report.

www.abc.net.au
Another group that suffered greatly was the thousands of emergency workers who helped extinguish the blaze and entomb the reactor in concrete.

They and staff at the plant received very high radiation doses shortly after the accident.

"By and large, however, we have not found profound negative health impacts to the rest of the population in surrounding areas, nor have we found widespread contamination that would continue to pose a substantial threat to human health, with a few exceptional, restricted areas," the forum's chairman, Burton Bennett, said.

The forum's report Chernobyl's Legacy: Health, Environmental and Socio-Economic Impacts examines the effects of the disaster as its 20th anniversary approaches.

Greenpeace, however, challenges the report's findings.

It says the reports it is based on contained contradictory information and research has been omitted.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

To my mind the figures don't add up with the pictures and articles I have read over the years from Chernobyl. I do not see the 99 percent survival rate listed correctly at all.

I have added the link below as i feel it is a valuable resource when reading about Chernobyl. It is a picture journey by one woman who often travelled through the region and contains stark reality in the images of the Chernobyl disaster.

Related News Links:
www.kiddofspeed.com

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Better research, better stories.

Your motorcycle trip was DEBUNKED.

debunkitute

from the Museum of Hoaxes
She went in a car with her husband and a friend. Elena defends herself, admitting that much of her story was 'more poetry' than reality, but noting that most of it was still reality.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   

i feel it is a valuable resource when reading about Chernobyl. It is a picture journey by one woman who often travelled through the region and contains stark reality in the images of the Chernobyl disaster.

I don't care about the circumstances of her journeys, I do care about the pictures and the stories they tell. I posted the link for the pictures as I quite specifically said.

Edit for Decorum

[edit on 6-9-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
scratch that, sorry posted to the wrong thread

[edit on 6-9-2005 by SourGrapes]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Mayet and Chuck

If the two of you want to go back and forth please do so elsewhere. It does not belong in any thread here let alone an ATSNN thread. Please stay to the topic at hand. Thanks

Fred

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I wonder if the 57 refers to people who were immediately killed as a result of the initial explosion. The number of casualties after that are countless - the radiation spread all over Europe - my college World Geography book showed that it made it all the way over to the UK area. There are two major crosswinds that made it especially bad in Scotland.

They have taken ice-cores from the Antarctic and they can see evidence of nuclear radiation. For those not familiar with ice-cores, it's when they go to Antarctia and drill out a very very deep column of ice. Each year in Antarctica brings a new, distinct layer to the ice. They can count back to when the first nuclear tests were made, and count the layers back to when the Chernobyl incident occurred - meaning that the radiation made it all the way to the South Pole...

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

The cloud particularly contaminated Belarus, Russia and Ukraine.

"Claims have been made that tens or even hundreds of thousands of persons have died as a result of the accident. These claims are exaggerated," the Chernobyl Forum report said.

UN officials say the death toll is 47 emergency workers and nine children, who had died of thyroid cancer.

Most of the 4,000 deaths would be among emergency workers exposed to high radiation doses shortly after the accident, who were at higher risk of contracting cancer even decades later.

No I think they are trying to get us to swallow that 56 is the final figure

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Play nice kids.

If you have squabbles take it to u2u.

new topics

top topics

join