It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Freak Cable Car Accident Kills 9 in Austria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
A construction helicopter dropped a block of concrete on a cable car carrying tourists between Rettenbach and Tiefenbachferner in Austria, knocking it down. People were thrown from other cars as they swung violently in the air. At least nine people were killed and at least 10 more injured.

edition.cnn.com
VIENNA, Austria -- At least nine tourists have been killed after a helicopter dropped a concrete block on a cable car in western Austria, according to police.

Police said the aircraft dropped construction materials onto one cable car Monday, causing it to plummet to the ground, news agencies said. Passengers were also catapulted from other cars as they swung violently, reports said.

Local press agency APA said the helicopter was flying the piece of concrete, weighing around 750 kilograms (1,650 pounds), around 300 meters (yards) above the ski-lift cables when the block fell.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What a bizarre and horrible accident. I guess I'll think twice before getting into one of those things again.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
What a bizarre and horrible accident. I guess I'll think twice before getting into one of those things again.

A helicopter or a cable car?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
The helicopter dropped a block of concrete onto the cable car destroying it.

apc

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Wow I sure hope the pilot gets charged with whatever their equivalent of involuntary manslaughter is. They could have chosen a route NOT going over people with his big hunk of rock, but instead turned them into bullseyes. Smaaaaaaart.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
They could have chosen a route NOT going over people with his big hunk of rock, but instead turned them into bullseyes.

Very good point. You would think that there would have been a policy in place prohibiting the helicopter carrying such a load over the cable car route. Very poor judgement on this one, as well.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
...damn it, when it said "Freak Accident" I was hoping it involved mutants.

This is just a case of being very unlucky, every 3 to 5 years something awful and stupid [resulting in loss of life] happens which could have easily been prevented.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Hmm?? About 5-6 weeks ago I was on a cable car going up to a mountain next to Sulden/Soldano, which is also in Tyrol, but the Italian Tyrol. All I know is that Sulden is in Italy, not Austria. Or are there two Suldens???

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This reeks. What are the odds of this happening? Imo, the pilot would have almost had to try and hit the gondola with the bucket. The story I read said the item dropped was a container for transporting concrete, not a concrete slab.

We need someone who knows probability and statistics to figure the odds on this one. Maybe it was supposed to look like an accident. Who were the three Germans in the car and what were their connections?

I'm telling you, this reeks.

[edit on 7-9-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
ITS VERY SAD FOR THE EVERYONE BUT THE FAULT WAS THE HELICOPTER MAN.BECAUSE HE MUST HAVE SEEN THE CABLE CAR THAT THERE IS A CABLE CAR BELOW THE HELICOPTER.HE MUST HAVE PUNISHED.HE GET THE LIFE OF THE 9 PEOPLE IN AUSTRIA.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
FYI this is an old news story bumped by ^ from 7 years ago...

top topics

join