It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
NO appeared to be totally ok with their situation and saw no reason to work with everyone else to develop a proper infrastructure that would allow them to react to a situation like this. The lack of preparation filtered through to the current situation, a huge delay on what to do, and now passing blame up the chain. NO's lack of preparation for a disaster like this, which was bound to happen give the environment the city is built upon, led to their delayed reaction and therefore a delayed reaction from the rest of the US/world. For instance, if NO had the satellite phones, communication lines could have been established much sooner giving the help better information to go about aiding this situation at hand.
I am a Sheriff's Deputy who is part of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness in the New Orleans MSA.
Mayor Nagin has been speaking furiously about the lack of everything from the State and Federal Government. Here is some info:
1. There are two States here. Louisiana and the City of New Orleans/Orleans Parish. Always has been and always will be. When a State Law passes, Law Makers ALWAYS write whether Orleans Parish wil allow the Law or not.
2. When the MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) meets for Disater Planning and Equipment Purchases (6 times a year for the last 15 years), we all agree how we will spend the Federal Money as a team since we are in this together. Orleans DEMANDS they will choose how they will spend their portion.
3. During Communication Infrastructure Planning we ALL (N.O. MSA) purchased Satellite Phones. We all pay several hundred dollars a month as a "Just In Case Measure". Orleans said their Infrastructure was TOP NOTCH and the money would be better spent on Ford F-150 Pickup Trucks. I dunno what they bought, but it wasn't sat phones.
4. The looting, Rape (Newly Wedded European Woman who was raped and beaten as well as MANY others), etc. That is life in New Orleans. Why people find New Orleans a romantic, cherishable place is beyond 90% of all Louisianians. It is Hot, it Stinks, Non of us even go into New Orleans without a sidearm and we prefer to leave our women at home. Rape's, thefts, and murder in New Orleans are as common as a High Speed pursuit in California.
5. When we enter New Orleans to issue an arrest warrant, the SCAT (Street Crime Arrest Team) is ALWAYS present. Me and/or other officers have been part of 18 arrests in New Orleans and been shot at 17 times. 11 of those were with AK-47's and 3 of those 11 had two 40-round clips taped together.
6. Even before Mayor Naggin took office the Fed's and State were never allowed to do anything to improve New Orleans. New Orleans ALWAYS wanted the cash to do their own improvements, their way.
7. There was no way in Hell the State was gonna make a move until New Orleans asked for help. There was No way in Hell the Fed's were gonna make a move until the Governor asked for help. That is Law.
8. The people looting and shooting have it better than ever. Those areas are known for people living in crappy homes without electricity. Now they have some flood water in their home. They stole guns, ammo and food. They have never had it so good and don't want to leave.
9. The people whining the loudest about racisim are the same people who always whined about racisim.
10. Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard declared martial law Monday Night. Mayor Ray Naggin didn't want to alienate any refugees and allowed all this to happen. We sent officers in to help. As a report of an officer being shot and supplies and boat stolen we BEGGED Mayor Naggin to pass Martial Law. NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! After 2 days, Our department left New Orleans to die, then Mayor Naggin decided to declare Martial Law.
In our own Parish, we have arrest several refugees. We have recovered stolen Corvettes, Escalades, Mercedes Benz, BMW's, etc. A young black female ran over one of our officers. She was driving a Nissan with a VIN from an Oldsmobile 88 and a Plate from Alabama registered to a Ford Van. An elderly white man died because our Hospital was unable to fill his Oxygen Bottle. Refugees have stolen an EMS Generator at the Mobile Command Center. Refugees have stolen an Entergy Truck trying to restore power. Most Parishes are out of gas at all stations and most of us cannot drive to work. All gas stations have a 15-20 minute wait for gas. Some stations are selling only 2 gallons per customer. One station raised prices to $5.64 a gallon. The owner refused to lower prices, we promptly hooked him in the cuffs and dumped him in jail. There is tons more.
Mayor Haggin had years and so did his predessessor's to prepare, but they refused and they refused everyone elses help. Now he is bitching because no one is coming and everything is falling apart.
The media is asking why was the State and Fed's not prepared, New Orleans NEVER allowed us to hold drills. All other Parishes and Baton Rouge have drills just for this. The media is asking why no help is coming for the dead. Their Dead, we are only worried about the living. We are tying the dead to a tree or pushing them aside in an attempt to save the living.
I say, if you want out, we'll get you out. You wanna stay, then stay. I think we should let New Orleans die and REBUILD the National Infrastructure somewhere other than a damn Bowl.