It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know what this ATS error means?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/abovetopsecret/public_html/forum/functions.php on line 251

I only get this when trying to view one specific page on a particular thread on this site.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
A php script has a maximum alowed execution time at which point it will be forcibly stopped.

This is to make sure 1 script doesn't keep running indefinatly due to programming errors.

Why it gives that in the thread your trying to visit, is something SO needs to investigate.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks. I only get this error when attempting to view Page 6 of this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Was working on Valhall's Kartina Research project, and then got this error after making a submission. Obvioulsy, this has stopped my dead in my tracks (who knows, maybe that was intentional
). Last night, one of the Mods said they had no problem seeing that page.

Thanks again for the reply.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The most likely cullprit is the nearly rediculous amounts of huge quotes on your part.

The page loads fine for me although it still shows 2.699 seconds page processing time, but most likely SO has a php caching backend running on ATS, so once it finaly chews trough that page, it will display it OK for everyone.

If it keeps failing for you, the most likely reason I see is that your the author of alot of posts on that page, together with the quotes being huge.

There are some functions run on posts that only run when your the editor of the post and with the amount and size of the ones in that page being done by you, it could be that the script chokes on the functions specific for the editor of a post extending its processing time for you to over 30 seconds, resulting in the error.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Actually, I get the same error when not being logged in and using another PC.

Also, now that it has added Page 7, I have no problem viewing that page, but still get the same error for Page 6.

(BTW, concerning the number of quotes.....just following the instructions of Valhall's thread. It said that it was ok...."unlike every day business...to get ALL relevant sections of an article...[which]...would be much larger sections quoted from the article than normal, [in order to]preserve the important parts in case the articles start getting changed or removed.")

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Loam

I'm getting the same error for the same page. I can see the previous ones and number 7.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I noticed that in one of the posts I added to that page, there are a few strange characters that would have been placed there.

The characters are: ƒÞ

Could that be a possible problem?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Guess not, since I can clearly see this page.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
BTW, one last thing....

The error occurred after my last submission entitled, "Saturday, September 03, 2005", which I could not confirm made it. Prior to that there were no problems with any submissions or viewing.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Since we can't see page 6 I say just go ahead and post. You can always get rid of them later.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
The most likely cullprit is the nearly rediculous amounts of huge quotes on your part.

No problem! (unless it's technical).

An exception is being made on that one thread.

Participants will not be penalised for big quotes, copy-paste, one line posts with links etc.

Since the thread is very important to staff it's being watched closely and I'm guessing SO will look into any technical problems as soon as possible.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Phew!!!
Got a little nervous there....guess I like to follow the rules a little more than I like to admit...

Since I can see Pg 7, I'd like to continue posting.....Can anyone verify if my post entitled "Saturday, September 03, 2005" made it there?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I'm talking about the technical side.

I'm pritty sure its the amount of text and quotes needing to be processed thats the problem.

The logged in part I said in case it was only him who had the problem.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
have been a HUGE problem with RSS and other background applications... It may be that there are some of these in what you are quoting in that one article that shot the system on pg. 6.

Re-post what you had and S.O. will look into it when he gets back.

THANKS for all the GREAT WORK loam! (5,000 points for YOU)

Springer...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I can see the whole page but it did take a few seconds to load.

Springer...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I can't see the page at all, and it's failing on the auto-censor routine. If there are very large posts and especially large quotes, this is certainly the problem.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE LIMIT THE SIZE OF QUOTES

Now I need to waste time digging into which post is the problem because members are too lazy to limit their quoting. (which sounds like the problem)

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I can't see the page at all, and it's failing on the auto-censor routine. If there are very large posts and especially large quotes, this is certainly the problem.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE LIMIT THE SIZE OF QUOTES

Now I need to waste time digging into which post is the problem because members are too lazy to limit their quoting. (which sounds like the problem)

In other words "Matrix was right" :p

Vallhal problably said it was ok from a moderator point of view, but I'm pritty sure neither she or Springer has the slightest clue what impact huge bulks of texts and huge amounts of quote tags have on a PHP engine.

Anyways, SO, here's the post numbers on that page, in order:

Post Number: 1661542 (post id: 1683435)
Post Number: 1661550 (post id: 1683443)
Post Number: 1661557 (post id: 1683450)
Post Number: 1661562 (post id: 1683455)
Post Number: 1661567 (post id: 1683460)
Post Number: 1661569 (post id: 1683462)
Post Number: 1661572 (post id: 1683465)
Post Number: 1661596 (post id: 1683489)
Post Number: 1661604 (post id: 1683497)
Post Number: 1661630 (post id: 1683523) Big
Post Number: 1661699 (post id: 1683592) HUGE (lots of quotes lots of text)
Post Number: 1661738 (post id: 1683631) HUGE (lots of quotes lots of text)
Post Number: 1661771 (post id: 1683664) HUGE (lots of quotes lots of text)
Post Number: 1661809 (post id: 1683702) HUGE (lots of quotes lots of text)
Post Number: 1661828 (post id: 1683721) HUGE (lots of quotes lots of text)
Post Number: 1661956 (post id: 1683849)
Post Number: 1662271 (post id: 1684164)
Post Number: 1662280 (post id: 1684173)
Post Number: 1662366 (post id: 1684259)

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
An amazingly stupid amount of copy-and-paste material from other websites within single posts has caused this and other problems.

Now I have database corruption from all the unfinished time-out queries trying to access that page.

Two very important issues here!

1) The size of posts can cause problems. Each post requires server resources to query and display. Giant posts can, and do, cause serious problems for everyone accessing the site.

2) Large amounts of copy-and-paste material from other news sites can and will cause legal problems. Do not do that. Snippets and links. Snippets and links. Snippets and links. Snippets and links. Snippets and links. Snippets and links. Snippets and links. Snippets and links. Snippets and links. Snippets and links. Snippets and links. Snippets and links. How many times do we need to say it?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I checked this thread, very little quotes, the most are in the 32 up.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
because members are too lazy to limit their quoting.

This hardly seems fair....I spent a geat deal of time (hours of work) selecting each of those articles and ommitting others for the project...and did EXACTLY what Valhall's instructions were. What gives? I can't help but feel a bit abused here.

I apologize for the problem this apparently has caused. I certainly would not have done this intentionally.

And I got an official WARN for this, rather than a simple instruction to do otherwise???

top topics

<<   2 >>

join