It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Austin: We had to Help those Folks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Richard Austin and his two friends: Louis Lazard 27 and Jerry Bastion 18, spent 48 hours paddling a stolen boat around the streets of New Orleans. Mr Austin and his motley crew, who survived mostly on chocolate bars; saved more than 100 people from the flooded waters looking out mainly for the elderly.

The key rules were simple: 'people only, no belongings' and only one small bag per person. With no food, almost no water and initially unarmed, the men made their way through the streets saving those who needed saving and waiting for the Coast Guard to show up.

news.independent.co.uk
Richard Austin almost smiles about it now. He and two friends were close to exhaustion on Wednesday last week after spending 48 hours paddling a stolen pleasure boat around the flooded streets of his neighbourhood in New Orleans, saving people from the water, when they heard a commotion.

"There was this baby floating down the street," recalls Mr Austin, 45, who is now among the 15,000 evacuees sheltering in the Houston Astrodome. "The baby was floating in the water inside this refrigerator. The door had been ripped off and the baby's parents were using the refrigerator as a flotation device."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What an amazing story. I'm sure we will hear many more like these but I'm going to try and roundup more as I think we need to read them. There is only so much hate, blame and anger one can take. Let's start talking about the survivors and like the men in this story, the ordinary folks turned heroes.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by nikelbee]

[edit on 10-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Yet another of the true heros of this disaster

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Can you believe it? I've already had 2 biased votes for this article. It's not even about Bush!
Ordinarily I would ignore it and insert colourful comment (here) but this is amazing. Are people really prepared to swallow their own bile on a steady diet of bitter news?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

There is only so much hate, blame and anger one can take. Let's start talking about the survivors and like the men in this story, the ordinary folks turned heroes.

Hear hear! Whilst I think that blame should rightly be placed at the feet of those who did not do enough to prevent this disaster from becoming as horrific as it did, it is equally true that we need to appreciate the efforts of those people who acted heroically during this time of enormous adversity.

For days now, the entire world has watched in stunned terror as story after story came out of New Orleans describing a surrealistic, nightmarish vision of anarchy. Now that the rescue effort is finally underway in earnest, we should take some time to appreciate the tales of heroism that we will doubtless see emerging from the survivors.

When we see a disaster as crippling and staggeringly horrific as this one was, we lose faith in humanity to a certain extent. Heroes remind that, even in situations where the worst in people reigns, the brave efforts of a few can make an enormous difference and can give us hope that humanity might actually be worth saving.

Good find, nikelbee.

[edit on 5/9/05 by Jeremiah25]

new topics

top topics

join